FavoriteStories

  • JInsley875@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24, 1999
      Well, here we are at the first issue on the OneList Site.
      For some of the older subscribers to my list. I just want you to
      know that I am going to post a few old stories and some new
      stories, also. There are some people who have not had a chance
      to read the old stories. This will give them a chance to catch up to
      were we are at. Also, If I post them, the stories will get into my archives.
      I could not resist posting this comment. It really made me feel good.
      Things like this are worth more than money to me.
      Subj: Re: (( Favorite Stories ))
      Date: 99-02-23 17:42:29 EST
      From: saturner@... (Steve Turner)
      To: jinsley875@... (JInsley875)

      My name is Clare (I am using my fiance's E-mail) I am slightly dyslexic and
      have trouble understanding the stories in the bible so I have to use a
      childrens bible (I'm 26).

      I would just like to say that I really enjoyed the stories you sent, it made
      me feel better as I was feeling a bit fed up.

      Thanks again

      Clare
      "KEEP YOUR FORK..."

      There was a woman who had been diagnosed with a terminal
      illness and had been given three months to live. So as she was getting
      her things "in order," she contacted her pastor and had him come to
      her house to discuss certain aspects of her final wishes.

      She told him which songs she wanted sung at the service, what
      scriptures she would like read, and what outfit she wanted to be
      buried in. The woman also requested to be buried with her favorite
      Bible.
      Everything was in order and the pastor was preparing to leave
      when the woman suddenly remembered something very important to her.
      "There's one more thing," she said excitedly.
      "What's that?" Came the pastor's reply.
      "This is very important," the woman continued, "I want to be
      buried with a fork in my right hand."
      The pastor stood looking at the woman, not knowing quite what
      to say...
      "That surprises you, doesn't it?" the woman asked.
      "Well, to be honest, I'm puzzled by the request," said the
      pastor.
      The woman explained. "In all my years of attending church
      socials and potluck dinners, I always remember that when the dishes
      of the main course were being cleared, someone would inevitably lean
      over and say, "keep your fork." It was my favorite part because I
      knew that something better was coming...like velvety chocolate cake
      or deep-dish apple pie. Something wonderful, and with substance!
      I just want people to see me there in that casket with a fork in
      my hand and I want them to wonder, "What's with the fork?" Then I
      want you to tell them: "Keep your fork....The best is yet to come."
      The pastor's eyes welled up with tears of joy as he hugged the
      woman good-bye. He knew this would be one of the last times he would
      see her before her death. But he also knew that the woman had a
      better grasp of heaven than he did. She KNEW that something better
      was coming.
      At the funeral people were walking by the woman's casket and
      they saw the pretty dress she was wearing and her favorite Bible and
      the fork placed in her right hand. Over and over the pastor heard
      the question "What's with the fork?" And over and over he smiled.
      During his message, the pastor told the people of the
      conversation he had with the woman shortly before she died. He also
      told them about the fork and about what it symbolized to her. The
      pastor told the people how he could not stop thinking about the fork
      and told them that they probably would not be able to stop thinking
      about it either. He was right.

      So the next time you reach down for your fork, let it remind you, oh
      so gently, that the best is yet to come...

      God's Peace
      Sent In By: Paul
      & Dixie Phillips
      uthor Unknown
      The Day I Figured Out That No One Is Perfect

      Once there was a girl in my class that I thought was
      beautiful and smart. I believed that she was perfect. When
      it came time for my birthday, I invited her to my party, and
      she came.
      A few months later, it was her birthday. I got her a
      special necklace for her birthday. I was so excited thinking
      about how happy she would be to receive my gift.
      I asked her when her birthday party was going to be.
      She replied, "Why do you want to know? You're not invited.
      You're just a dork with glasses!"
      I felt really bad when she said that. I just stood
      there looking at her. Everyone standing by her came to stand
      next to me. Then we all left.
      That day I figured out that even if someone looks
      perfect, there is a very good possibility that they aren't!
      When it comes to perfection, it's how someone treats you
      that is more important than how they look.

      by
      Ellie Logan, 9
      A PRAYER FOR MY FRIENDS

      Father, I ask you to bless my friends reading this right now!
      Please show them a new revelation of Your love and power.
      I ask You to minister to their spirit at this very moment.

      Where there is pain, give them Your peace & mercy.

      Where there is self-doubting, release a renewed confidence in
      Your ability to work through them.

      Where there is tiredness or exhaustion, I ask You to give them
      understanding, patience, and strength as they learn submission to
      Your leading.

      Where there is spiritual stagnation, I ask You to renew them by
      revealing Your nearness, and by drawing them into greater
      intimacy with You.

      Where there is fear, reveal Your love, and release to them Your courage.

      Where there is a sin blocking them, reveal it, and break its hold over my
      friends' life.

      Bless their finances, give them greater vision, and raise up leaders, and
      friends to support, and encourage them.

      Give each of them discernment to recognize the demonic forces around
      them, and reveal to them the power they have in You to
      defeat it.

      I ask You to do these things in Jesus' name!

      In Christian love, Your Friend in Christ Jesus

      Author Unknown
      The Builder
      An elderly carpenter was ready to retire. He told his
      employer-contractor of his plans to leave the house building business
      and live a more leisurely life with his wife enjoying his extended family.
      He would miss the paycheck, but he needed to retire. They could get by.

      The contractor was sorry to see his good worker go and asked if he
      could build just one more house as a personal favor. The carpenter said
      yes, but
      in time it was easy to see that his heart was not in his work. He resorted to
      shoddy
      workmanship and used inferior materials. It was an unfortunate way to end
      his
      career.

      When the carpenter finished his work and the builder came to
      inspect the house, the contractor handed the front-door key to the
      carpenter. "This is your house," he said, "my gift to you."

      What a shock! What a shame! If he had only known he was building his
      own
      house, he would have done it all so differently. Now he had to live in the
      home he
      had built.

      So it is with us. We build our lives in a distracted way, reacting
      rather than
      acting, willing to put up less than the best. At important points we do not
      give the
      job our best effort. Then with a shock we look at the situation we have
      created and
      find that we are now living in the house we have built. If we had realized,
      we would
      have done it differently.

      Think of yourself as the carpenter. Think about your house.
      Each day you hammer a nail, place a board, or erect a wall. Build wisely.
      It is the only life you will ever build. Even if you live it for only one
      day more, that day deserves to be lived graciously and with dignity. The
      plaque on the wall says, "Life is a do-it-yourself project."

      Who could say it more clearly? Your life today is the result of
      your attitudes and choices in the past. Your life tomorrow will be the
      result of your attitudes and the choices you make today.

      Author
      Unknown

      TRUST HIM

      A man named Jack was walking along a steep cliff one day when he
      accidentally got too close to the edge and fell. On the way down he grabbed a
      branch, which temporarily stopped his fall.
      He looked down and to his horror saw that the canyon fell straight down
      for more than a thousand feet. He couldn't hang onto the branch forever, and
      there was no way for him to climb up the steep wall of the cliff.
      So Jack began yelling for help, hoping that someone passing by would hear
      him and lower a rope or something.
      "HELP! HELP! Is anyone up there? HELP!"
      He yelled for a long time, but no one heard him. He was about to give up
      when he heard a voice
      "Jack, Jack. Can you hear me?"
      "Yes, yes! I can hear you. I'm down here!"
      "I can see you, Jack. Are you all right?"
      "Yes, but who are you, and where are you?"
      "I am the Lord, Jack. I'm everywhere."
      "The Lord? You mean, GOD?"
      "That's Me."
      "God, please help me! I promise if You'll get me down from here, I'll
      stop
      sinning. I'll be a really good person. I'll serve you for the rest of my
      life."
      "Easy on the promises, Jack. Let's just get you down from there; then we
      can talk. Now, here's what I want you to do. Listen carefully."
      "I'll do anything, Lord. Just tell me what to do."
      "Okay. Let go of the branch."
      "What?"
      "I said, let go of the branch. Just trust Me. Let go."
      There was a long silence. Finally Jack yelled, "HELP! HELP! IS ANYONE
      ELSE UP THERE?"

      Have you ever felt like Jack? We say that we want to know the will of
      God,
      but when we find out what it is, we can't handle it. Sounds too scary, too
      difficult. We decide to look elsewhere.
      When he says, "Let go of the things that stand between you and Me, and
      trust Me with your life," it sounds pretty scary. But when we let go, we find
      freedom and safety in His hands."

      Author Unknown