'Brides of the State' and the Family Man - article in "Inside Cork"

  • Roger Eldridge
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2004
      The excellent piece of reporting below resulted from a press release that we
      sent out. The story was featured on the newspaper's radio ads and took up a
      whole page with photographs.

      What I would like is for as many people as possible to replicate the
      calculations that we have made below - which show how the state in Ireland
      is luring women (and children) into its custody (and using our taxes to
      maintain them) - and for you to send to me figures based on the data for the
      jurisdiction that you live in as accurately as possible so that we can
      compare notes.

      If we compare the average wage for a man in his early twenties to the sum he
      would have to produce to equal it in a few jurisdictions it should give us a
      very handy way of compiling a list of the most feminist states in the world,
      ie the most anti-marriage, anti democracy, anti-Christian, anti the Rule of
      Law, and anti-patriarchal.

      I was on the radio this morning with Ivana Bacik who is Reed Professor of
      law at Trinity College and who recently criticised men's groups for
      "aggressive macho posturing" on fathers' rights.

      The interview took an interesting course when she started to roll out the
      fraud that the state and the courts have perpetrated about married mothers
      having Custody of their children with their husbands and that the state has
      the right to make whatever orders it wants "in the best interests of
      children".

      I explained that she was wrong and stated what the true situation was for
      married families where 85% of children are reared in Ireland. She refused to
      accept what I was saying so I challenged her to show the listeners where in
      law the mother has Custody of her children and where the court has
      jurisdiction to interfere with a fit father's Custody.

      She said it was given in the Judicial Separation Act but when I pointed out
      to her that this had nothing to do with Custody and that Custody was dealt
      with in the Guardianship of Infants Act, 1964 she then came out with the
      usual nonsense that the court could decide anything if one of the parents
      made an application on a question regarding the welfare of infants and I
      pressed her to come up with the goods pointing out that she should know that
      welfare and Custody issues are entirely separate matters. The interviewer
      then intervened and said that if we were to disagree he would have to defer
      to Bacik because she was the law professor.

      I refused to yield saying that this was not just an intellectual argument as
      the welfare of children was being abused because the lies that she was
      telling were being believed, especially by men, and they had no idea that
      they on their own had Custody of their children and this could not be taken
      away from them by any court unless they had been shown with compelling
      evidence to have failed in their duty to protect and provide for their
      children.

      She then attempted to fudge again by saying that this wasn't a black and
      white issue and we should be concerned about the children, not parent's
      rights. I retorted that here was a professor of law saying that the law on
      the welfare of children was not a black and white issue and there weren't
      any rules!

      She then played victim and said that I was calling her a liar. I said it was
      nothing personal, it was just she was telling lies!

      The last word was given to her and she then went on about how important
      other forms of families were. I had to speak loudly above her that the
      paramount welfare of children is to be found in a married family and that is
      why the husband was given Custody.

      I got cut off without even a thank you from the interviewer.

      He then phoned me back twenty minutes after the programme to say that Bacik
      is going to sue the Radio station for defamation because I had called her a
      liar and whether it was true what I said or not she claimed her reputation
      had been damaged.

      It should make for an interesting court case and provide a well publicised
      opportunity to expose the lies at last that are dissuading men from
      vindicating their Custody and truly protecting their children.

      Roger Eldridge

      ******

      Inside Cork Thursday 8 July 2004

      'Brides of the State' and the Family Man

      By Katie Mythen

      It is generally presumed, both at home and abroad, that Irish Society
      affords a high level of protection for parental rights and for the welfare
      of children. However, as society moves further and further away from the
      traditional values of marriage, wedlock and two-parent families, embracing
      what has become a comparatively liberal reality, the outline of a father's
      duty in the upbringing of children has become somewhat blurred.

      For years, many men have found themselves on the outside of what was once
      their family life, faced with the stark realisation that having rights and
      actually being able to exercise them are two completely different issues.
      One of the prime activities of the National Men's Council of Ireland is to
      monitor, on behalf of parents, how legislation and social policy impacts on
      the family, marriage and, particularly, on children.

      Roscommon man Roger Eldridge, Chairman, National Men's Council of Ireland
      told Inside Cork, "Recently an unmarried father complained about his
      treatment as a parent saying, "Men can rear children, wash dishes, cook
      meals, clean houses just as well as women can. The only thing they can't do
      is give birth. "The obvious reply is, of course men can do all the practical
      things. The problem for men lies in the second sentence, "The only thing
      they can't do is give birth." This leaves this man and all unmarried men
      with the problem of how do they propose that women let them "rear children,
      wash dishes, cook meals, clean houses?"

      Roger continued, "What the National Men's Council of Ireland are saying and
      what is in the Constitution (for the Common Good) is that only marriage
      allows a man to have a legitimate opportunity to have a family life as this
      man describes. A man earns himself a role by being family protector and
      provider. As long as the woman values his role she will agree to him being
      part of her family."

      According to the French novelist and social anthropologist Briffault: "The
      female, not the male, determines all the conditions of the animal family.
      Where the female can derive no benefit from association with the male, no
      such association takes place". - Robert Briffault"

      "This somewhat harsh analysis derives from the empirical data which show
      that, despite our delusions about women being the more romantic partner in a
      relationship, 90% of women marry a man who has more assets or earning
      potential than they do." Said Roger. "If women married for love the law of
      averages suggests they would marry a richer man only 50% of the time. The
      state is aware of Briffault's Law and through social welfare policies and
      illegal judicial activism in the family courts has sought the place of the
      husband. Effectively the army of "unmarried mothers" and 'separated wives'
      in Ireland today are "Brides of the State".

      For example the state is able, through the so-called 'One- Parent Family
      Payment' scheme, to offer young women a disposable income that 99% of young
      men can not compete with. We have calculated using up-to-date figures how
      much a man must offer just to compete with the equivalent cash-in-hand that
      an unmarried mother is currently receiving by way of benefits, including
      housing, clothing, fuel allowances etc. If the mother has 2 children, gets
      Child Benefit and the One-Parent Family Payment and she avails of the scheme
      where she works 19 hours a week at times that suit her, her cash in hand
      will be roughly 450 euro per week. She pays no tax or PRSI on this. On to
      this must be added the cost benefits of the free Medical Card, Fuel
      Allowance, Back-to-School Clothing Allowance, say at a minimum another 30
      euro. She will be put at the top of the Local Authority housing lists and
      will then get a reduced rent or mortgage payment benefit equivalent.

      For a young man to generate an equivalent disposable income he must provide
      as take-home- pay the same 480 euro she is getting plus he must provide
      equivalent secure housing which means a mortgage costing him a minimum of
      150 euro per week. So now he must provide 630 euro per week in his hand to
      provide the equivalent of what the state gives to the mother for her and her
      two kids. We must not forget his basic needs. The most important being that
      he needs is a car so that he can get to work so he needs again a minimum of
      another 70 euro in his hand for insurance, tax and running costs. The state
      allowance for a single man on the dole is 130 euro so let's assume he lives
      on the breadline. This means that he must bring to the relationship 630 + 70
      + 130 = 830 euro in cash to enable his wife and him to live at the level
      that the mother could enjoy from the state on her own without him. This cash
      is after tax and PRSI deductions so his gross pay must be in the region of
      1250 euro! It is obvious that only exceptionally fortunate young men (or any
      man) can compete with the state for the mother's 'hand in marriage'.

      The average gross pay for 20 to 30 year old men is actually less than half
      what he needs to be an 'eligible' bachelor." Hence the state, having wooed
      the mother with our tax-paid money, then acts in the nature of a jealous
      husband who will countenance no rival suitors and so ensures that she will
      never marry a man. If the mother should meet a man who might have the
      potential to foot the bill for her, this is where the state gets really
      nasty. It says that if she is even seen with a man about the house she will
      lose all her benefits!"

      Roger feels that the untold pressure on the modern Irish man contributes
      significantly to the country's climbing suicide rate, "We shouldn't be at
      all surprised to see that the rate of suicide amongst men in Ireland is one
      of the highest in the world," he said, "and that it peaks for males between
      the ages of 20 and 35, when men should be at he prime of their lives and
      getting married so they can start a family and enjoy the comforts and
      benefits that it brings." A recent World Health Organisation report,
      entitled Young People's Health in Context, which studied the health and
      behaviour of 11 to 15-year-olds in 32 European countries, as well as Canada,
      America and Israel, cited family structures as an "important factor" in
      young people's health.

      Jill Kirby, the chairman of the family policy group at the Centre for Policy
      Studies, said: "There is a mass of evidence that children brought up by only
      one parent are at risk of under-age sex, drug abuse and drinking." Roger
      asks, "So how does the state justify promoting the position of unmarried
      mothers to the detriment of their children? And why, with the Irish
      Constitutional position clearly encouraging families based on marriage, is
      the state penalising the formation of marriage and RTE hell bent on
      preventing groups like us who promote marriage for its well-documented
      benefits from being heard by the people? The answer frighteningly must lie
      with the fact that the unholy alliance between big government and big
      business wants us all to be isolated, vulnerable individuals without family
      or community supports so that it can do what it wants with us, ie enslave
      us. Isn't it time that the decent family men and women of Ireland stood up
      for themselves?"

      As always, Inside Cork welcomes your views (Broadcasting House, Patrick's
      Place, Cork). For more information on the National Men's Council of Ireland,
      visit the organisation's website at www.family-men.com or email
      familymen@...

      ***

      Roger Eldridge,
      Chairman. National Men's Council of Ireland,
      Knockvicar, Boyle, Co. Roscommon
      www.family-men.com
      Tel: 00 353 (0) 071-9667138 email: eldridgeandco@...