Re: [FateRPG] Re: Aspect Levels

  • Landon Darkwood
    Message 1 of 64 , May 31, 2007
      John Risus wrote:
      > Does this mean you can also 'self compel' - check off a box to get a
      > fate point or would it mean once I use up the initial 3 free fate points
      > I have to wait on the GM to compel them to earn back points? Which might
      > encourage flawed aspects or sub-aspects to warrant faster pay back.

      Your *name* is Risus? That's, like, a blessing from the Lords of Gaming.

      Nah, I'd imagine player-initiated compels would be fine here. A hard
      limit is a hard limit - sure, you may get the faster payback, but you
      might also be screwed later in the adventure when you've used up all
      your boxes and can't get more.

      -L
    • Nik Gervae
      Message 64 of 64 , Jul 29, 2007
        Given that, and the impact on some of the Alertness stunts, I might be inclined to use the regular Alertness ranking for initiative by default, but allow characters to spend a Fate Point (or two?) to substitute whatever skill they're going to use, maybe with invocation of a relevant aspect required. This keeps the stunts worth having around--and suggests similar ones for other skills--but allows for more variable combat order if folks without those stunts really want to go first.

        Alternatively, Lightning Hands might raise initiative order for pistoleros to Guns+1.

        --Nik

        On 11 Jun, 2007, at 19:49, Jetan wrote:

        I notice that this would mean that the Lightning Draw 2nd level stunt is effectively free for everyone.  That makes high-combat characters even more scary in combat...

        On 6/11/07, Jetan <jetan888@...> wrote:
        I like it too.  I'm going to have to think abotu that.  In my game, we roll Alertness for initiative.  It takes little time and, as noted by douglaedtke, hooks iniative into the rest of the mechanics (spending fate points to reroll, etc.).  If I can find my password, I'll create an "initiative alternatives" page on the wiki...

        On 6/11/07, Fred Hicks <evilhat@...> wrote:
        Bruce Brown wrote:

        Not sure this helps your particular situation, but I've played around with initiative a little.  I end up calling down the adjective ladder and anybody can jump in so long as they use a skill that matches or exceeds the adjective being called out.

        That is a *hot* basis for initiative.  I really like it.