Re: [FateRPG] What to do with Equipment, Treasure, Booty

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 30, 2007
      Bill Segulin wrote:
      Hello Everyone,

      At our last SotC session the players 'liberated' the scrolls and tombs of an alchemist and the sorcerer's spellbook.  I've gone through the rules but I'm not sure what to do with these.  What I mean is the players defeated their opponents and took their stuff but they don't have the mystical stunts the alchemist and sorcerer did.  The Librarian with Gift of Gab can read the information and as it was appropriate for the scene was able to invoke an enchantment (a nod back to The Mummy).  But I'm thinking she shouldn't have regular spell casting ability... that would required several tiered stunts at the least.  I don't want to just take away the books (Raiders of the Lost Arc) so I'm looking for advice on a fair compromise.

      Every time your scholar goes to read the scrolls, just do this.

      Smile at them.

      Very slowly.

      Then say:

      "How much of a consequence would you like to take to do that?"

      This sort of goes back to a moment in the Fate Version Zero game that started it all, Born to be Kings, back in ... uh, god, back quite some time ago.  The player, playing Benedict, has made it to the heart of a flying volcano that's about to crash into Castle Amber and explode.  He's been tapping into a Dark Power under the tutelage of Dworkin and hasn't quite come to terms with it yet.  But he knows he can make black awfulness flow from his fingers like liquid death.  He hates using the power.  He knows it's the only thing he's got to stop the Volcano Bomb.  Looking at the flaming core powering the thing, his jaw sets.  He turns to me.  He says "I unleash the darkness," and rolls the skill.  It does okay, but it doesn't rhyme with "Megendary plus four" so he's a bit nervous.

      I smile at him.

      Very slowly.

      Then I say:

      "How much of a bonus would you like?"

      He blinks at me.  "Uh... 'how much'?"

      I nod.

      He looks around at the other players.  They are of no help.  They enjoy watching me make someone OTHER than them squirm.  He looks back at me.  "Plus... eight?"

      "PLUS EIGHT IT IS!" I roar, and then talk about how he gives birth to the true death of the volcano, as the thing shrieks into oblivion and then plummets into the ground, narrowly missing the castle and the city below.

      Then I go and write a new aspect on his sheet.

      It wasn't pretty.

      Thus we gave birth to the phrase "The Dark Powers are always willing to help!"

      Fred
    • Rel Fexive
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2007
        --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Fred Hicks <evilhat@...> wrote:

        >>SNIP<<

        > Thus we gave birth to the phrase "The Dark Powers are always willing
        > to help!"
        >
        > Fred

        Great story! :D