SotC Goodness

  • chad barber
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2007
      I just wanted to let the designers know how
      tremendously satisfied my group and I have been with
      SotC. The fun is palpable when we play this game. What
      is even cooler is the way the mechanics reward players
      for playing the characters they have created. It seems
      like almost every skill is as powerful and effective
      as any other, which makes it viable to play any kind
      of character and not get left out of the action.
      Watching an otherwise formidable detective type PC get
      creamed by the social graces of a pretty girl, or a
      giant robot being violently defeated by a clever
      manoeuvre is just so damn cool. And with the immersive
      way that Aspects get players to think about and
      role-play their characters, I just cannot heap enough
      praise on this game.

      I have a quick question though? When engaged in a
      conflict of one type, let’s say a fist fight, a PC
      decides halfway through the conflict that instead of
      fighting he wants to manipulate or intimidate instead
      - does the resulting stress and consequences for
      composure count toward the whole conflict (in order
      for a character to be Taken Out)? Or, do the two
      stress tracks run parallel to each other? In other
      words a PC could accumulate a mild health consequence,
      a moderate health and then a severe composure
      consequence - in a mixed assortment, before getting
      taken out? Or are we talking two separate consequence
      tracks for health and composure?

      With appreciation,
      Chad

      Looking for earth-friendly autos?
      http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2007
        chad barber wrote:
        > I have a quick question though? When engaged in a
        > conflict of one type, let’s say a fist fight, a PC
        > decides halfway through the conflict that instead of
        > fighting he wants to manipulate or intimidate instead
        > - does the resulting stress and consequences for
        > composure count toward the whole conflict (in order
        > for a character to be Taken Out)? Or, do the two
        > stress tracks run parallel to each other? In other
        > words a PC could accumulate a mild health consequence,
        > a moderate health and then a severe composure
        > consequence - in a mixed assortment, before getting
        > taken out? Or are we talking two separate consequence
        > tracks for health and composure?

        The stress tracks are parallel and separate.

        I believe some people have played it with merged consequence tracks, and
        others separate. I don't know that we had a specific idea one way or the
        other to be honest!

        Fred
      • chad barber
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2007
          OK, thanks. We have been playing with merged
          consequence track. This seems to favour a diverse kind
          of conflict.

          Best,
          Chad