Re: [FateRPG] d20 magic coversion idea

  • Aidan Grey
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 31, 2007
      Wikidot.com is awesome....

      ----- Original Message ----
      From: Lance Dyas <lancelot@...>
      To: FateRPG@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2007 7:21:08 PM
      Subject: Re: [FateRPG] d20 magic coversion idea

      Aidan Grey wrote:

      > True, a more florid version is possible. But I gave them a bit more
      > credit than they deserve. My translation "Repulsive evil is encircled"
      > didn't account for all the grammatical errors. A more accurate
      > translation might be:
      >
      > Repulsitates evils to be encircled.
      >
      > I had to make a few egregious english grammar errors, so it was clear
      > what kind of badness there is...
      >
      > :) A place on a wiki for translation would be tres cool...
      I'm investigating making a wiki... though perhaps somebody already knows
      an appropriate
      homespace for posting such a thing?

      Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.
    • Lance Dyas
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 1, 2007
        Aidan Grey wrote:
        > Wikidot.com is awesome....
        So it seems I made a page
        http://rosemagic.wikidot.com/

        I am building up my Wiki Fu....
        kind of interesting.

        sorry if the look is well a little un customized
        my own site

        password:
        WilliamWordsmith

        Lance Dyas
        http://www.dyasdesigns.com/roleplay
        http://rosemagic.wikidot.com/

      • Chuk Goodin
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 2, 2007
          On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 09:16:02PM -0500, Lance Dyas wrote:
          > stevenweasel@... wrote:
          > > Addition undeveloped ideas include allowing spell casting to exceed
          > > class limits but on failure to cast spell, refer to something along
          > > the lines of S. John Ross's UMANA table.
          > UMANA rules, and it is my firm belief it should be converted into every
          > fantasy roleplaying magic system especially those I don't like (D&D)
          > or who appropriately lack any official magic system (Fate) think out
          > loud on this idea please ;-)

          I vote in favour. I love UMANA.
        • Lance Dyas
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 2, 2007
            Chuk Goodin wrote:
            > On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 09:16:02PM -0500, Lance Dyas wrote:
            >
            >> stevenweasel@... wrote:
            >>
            >>> Addition undeveloped ideas include allowing spell casting to exceed
            >>> class limits but on failure to cast spell, refer to something along
            >>> the lines of S. John Ross's UMANA table.
            >>>
            >> UMANA rules, and it is my firm belief it should be converted into every
            >> fantasy roleplaying magic system especially those I don't like (D&D)
            >> or who appropriately lack any official magic system (Fate) think out
            >> loud on this idea please ;-)
            >>

            > I vote in favour. I love UMANA.

            I did find a couple instances of fudge UMANA on the web.. but really I
            think aspects and tagging and what not call for a different treatment.

            http://members.dsl-only.net/~bing/frp/fudge/arf/rules/magic/umana.html
            http://www.sonic.net/~rknop/Omar/fudge/gramarye.html
          • Aidan Grey
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 2, 2007
              A better resource for UMana:

              http://web.archive.org/web/19990427224942/http://www.io.com/~caroth/UnlimitedMana.htm

              > On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 09:16:02PM -0500, Lance Dyas wrote:
              >
              >> stevenweasel@ goatonthetrollbr idge.com wrote:
              >>
              >>> Addition undeveloped ideas include allowing spell casting to exceed
              >>> class limits but on failure to cast spell, refer to something along
              >>> the lines of S. John Ross's UMANA table.
              >>>
              >> UMANA rules, and it is my firm belief it should be converted into every
              >> fantasy roleplaying magic system especially those I don't like (D&D)
              >> or who appropriately lack any official magic system (Fate) think out
              >> loud on this idea please ;-)
              >>

              > I vote in favour. I love UMANA.

              I did find a couple instances of fudge UMANA on the web.. but really I
              think aspects and tagging and what not call for a different treatment.

              http://members. dsl-only. net/~bing/ frp/fudge/ arf/rules/ magic/umana. html
              http://www.sonic. net/~rknop/ Omar/fudge/ gramarye. html

              Looking for earth-friendly autos?
            • stevenweasel@goatonthetrollbridge.com
              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 2, 2007

                Just a quick note. The first version is done. It is two separate files. The first is OGL Fate-SotC d20 magic conversion. This one I have no problem distributing. The second is a Fate-SotC coversion of UMANA. All of the IP holders S. John Ross, Steve Jackson Games, and Evil Hat Productions are credited and none is being invoked or challenged  by myself. Since UMANA is posted on the web for download I don't have a problem sending the conversion to individuals, but I won't post it with out permission.  I use Open Office so I can send these files in Open Office, MS Office, or PDF formats. Just let me know if you are interested.

                Cheers,

                Steve

              • Lance Dyas
                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 2, 2007
                  Aidan Grey wrote:
                  > A better resource for UMana:
                  >
                  > http://web.archive.org/web/19990427224942/http://www.io.com/~caroth/UnlimitedMana.htm
                  > <http://web.archive.org/web/19990427224942/http://www.io.com/%7Ecaroth/UnlimitedMana.htm>

                  the alive and kicking
                  http://www.io.com/~sjohn/unlimited-mana.htm

                  The others were posted because somebody had gone a step in the fate
                  direction by conversion
                  to fudge. shrug...

                • _M_A_W_
                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 2, 2007
                    --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Lance Dyas <lancelot@...> wrote:

                    > Aidan Grey wrote:
                    > > A better resource for UMana:

                    http://web.archive.org/web/19990427224942/http://www.io.com/~caroth/U
                    nlimitedMana.htm
                    > > <http://web.archive.org/web/19990427224942/http://www.io.com/%
                    7Ecaroth/UnlimitedMana.htm>

                    > the alive and kicking
                    > http://www.io.com/~sjohn/unlimited-mana.htm

                    Here is the beginnings of a Fudge magic system that I started a
                    while back:

                    http://www.fudgerpg.info/guide/bin/view/Guide/DropInMagic#DropInMagic
                    Rules

                    I mention it here because I was going for a system with no
                    mana/spell point type mechanic.

                    Mitch
                  • René López
                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 3, 2007
                      --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, stevenweasel@... wrote:

                      > Just a quick note. The first version is done. It is two separate
                      > files. The first is OGL Fate-SotC d20 magic conversion. This one I
                      > have no problem distributing. The second is a Fate-SotC coversion of
                      > UMANA. All of the IP holders S. John Ross, Steve Jackson Games, and
                      > Evil Hat Productions are credited and none is being invoked or
                      > challenged by myself. Since UMANA is posted on the web for download I
                      > don't have a problem sending the conversion to individuals, but I
                      > won't post it with out permission. I use Open Office so I can send
                      > these files in Open Office, MS Office, or PDF formats. Just let me
                      > know if you are interested.
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      >
                      > Steve

                      Steve, would you please
                      a) post your OGL findings on the wiki
                      b) post the OGL file to the Files section of the group
                      c) Send me an email with the files on PDF :)

                      Thanks