d20 magic coversion idea

  • stevenweasel@goatonthetrollbridge.com
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 30, 2007
      As I think about going adventuring in the Principality of Ulek down in Greyhawk. My thoughts echoed Storn's in an RPGnet forum post:

      >"Folks, there is an idea rattling around in my head

      about NOT re-inventing the wheel. And it is in

      > terms of Magic, specifically d20 spell lists.
      > This vague
      beginnings and I want some comments.

      >There is this huge list of spells and effects in d20
      > stuff. Lot of it is kind of redundant (any spell

      > that does damage is pretty much the same core concept...
      />>even if it does it in a slightly different way).
      >But many spells are just stuff that works...
      >take SpiderClimb. It gives one the ability to walk up

      >sheer walls. That is kinda cool."

      So here is an idea
      that for a while after looking at Fudge and Fate resources. I started by adapting Mike Harvey's d20 tables to suit me. Find them on the Fudge Factor web site:

      http://www.fudgefactor.org/2005/10/converting-d20-based-skills-to-fudge.html

      I ended up here.

      FATE

      Level

      FATE

      Modifier

      Skill needed to cast Spell Level

      Level to Calculate Spell Effects

      Spell

      Damage

      Nonexistent

      NA

      Terrible

      -2

      Poor

      -1

      Mediocre

      0

      Cantrips

      0

      1

      Average

      +1

      1

      2

      2

      Fair

      +2

      2

      4

      2

      Good

      +3

      3

      6

      4

      Great

      +4

      4

      8

      4

      Superb

      +5

      5

      10

      4

      Fantastic

      +6

      6

      12

      6

      Epic

      +7

      7

      14

      6

      Legendary

      +8

      8

      16

      7

      Legendary +1

      +9

      9

      18

      8

      Spell casting abilities are based on the SRD's charts for the applicable class. Stunts allow for additional meta-magic or more potent effects. Each level of success can be spent to increase one level of spell variability or add one point of damage up to twice base damage +1. There is no per level damage adjustment. Spells that grant modifiers do so at the rate of +/- 1 per +/- 2 granted by the book.

      These would be flexible guidelines because some parts of d20 are just to divergent to allow for easy conversion.

      Addition undeveloped ideas include allowing spell casting to exceed class limits but on failure to cast spell, refer to something along the lines of S. John Ross's UMANA table.
    • stevenweasel@goatonthetrollbridge.com
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 30, 2007

        Sorry if the table splatters in your email reader. It looks fine in Horde's composition window, but looses table frames in my reader.

        Steve

      • Lance Dyas
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 30, 2007
          stevenweasel@... wrote:
          > Addition undeveloped ideas include allowing spell casting to exceed
          > class limits but on failure to cast spell, refer to something along
          > the lines of S. John Ross's UMANA table.
          UMANA rules, and it is my firm belief it should be converted into every
          fantasy roleplaying magic system especially those I don't like (D&D)
          or who appropriately lack any official magic system (Fate) think out
          loud on this idea please ;-)
        • Lance Dyas
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 30, 2007
            >There is this huge list of spells and effects in d20
            > stuff. Lot of it is kind of redundant (any spell
            > that does damage is pretty much the same core concept...
            >even if it does it in a slightly different way).
            >But many spells are just stuff that works...
            >take SpiderClimb. It gives one the ability to walk up
            >sheer walls. That is kinda cool."

            One thing I have been considering along these lines is what I call the
            Rose Award
            named after the Shakespear quote..If I were to give out a rose award the
            first
            would go to the folks who converted the spell names from D&D into Latin.

            http://www.gamewyrd.com/archives/latin.php
          • stevenweasel@goatonthetrollbridge.com
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 31, 2007
              Nice. When I get a chance to breath this weekend I'll look at it ,more
              closely.
              > One thing I have been considering along these lines is what I call the
              > Rose Award
              > named after the Shakespear quote..If I were to give out a rose award the
              > first
              > would go to the folks who converted the spell names from D&D into Latin.
              >
              > http://www.gamewyrd.com/archives/latin.php

            • Aidan Grey
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 31, 2007
                It's a cool idea, but it's very bad Latin. No agreement between modifiers and the words they modify, everything is in the nominative. And the translations aren't so great either. Someone who didn't have a clue what they were doing did this, clearly.

                For example: Protection from Evil = cingi aversabilis Malus
                Cingi = to be encircled: it's okay - ish, but since the translators used personal versions of active verbs, there should be a personal object here too. Alternately, everything should be infinitives. Better yet, since it's a process (like singing, as opposed to he sings), verbs should not be used at all. Nouns or gerunds translate better. Also, forms of this spell don't use circles at all, so...

                Aversabilis: adj. repulsive, loathsome, abominable. Intended to be "against" I think. Not a good translation.

                Malus: n. bad, evil, etc.

                What that means is: Repulsive evil is encircled. Not right.

                A better translation would be:
                Praesidium contra Malum

                Praesidium: protection; help; guard
                contra: against, takes the acc.
                Malum: acc. of malus

                Aidan

                Nice. When I get a chance to breath this weekend I'll look at it ,more
                closely.

                > One thing I have been considering along these lines is what I call the
                > Rose Award
                > named after the Shakespear quote..If I were to give out a rose award the
                > first
                > would go to the folks who converted the spell names from D&D into Latin.
                >
                > http://www.gamewyrd .com/archives/ latin.php

                Bored stiff? Loosen up...
              • Lance Dyas
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 31, 2007
                  Aidan Grey wrote:
                  > It's a cool idea, but it's very bad Latin. No agreement between
                  > modifiers and the words they modify, everything is in the nominative.
                  > And the translations aren't so great either. Someone who didn't have a
                  > clue what they were doing did this, clearly.
                  Perhaps the page could be re-constructed as a Wiki or some such so that
                  it might be fixed... ;-)
                  My latin is non existant... Spanish, French and English only

                  The point was indeed the style of it.
                • Lance Dyas
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 31, 2007
                    Lance Dyas wrote:
                    > Aidan Grey wrote:
                    >
                    >> It's a cool idea, but it's very bad Latin. No agreement between
                    >> modifiers and the words they modify, everything is in the nominative.
                    >> And the translations aren't so great either. Someone who didn't have a
                    >> clue what they were doing did this, clearly.
                    >>
                    > Perhaps the page could be re-constructed as a Wiki or some such so that
                    > it might be fixed... ;-)
                    > My latin is non existant... Spanish, French and English only
                    >
                    > The point was indeed the style of it.

                    Even the fixes you present "Repulsive evil is encircled" is more floral
                    and poetic than the
                    more literal translation you present perhaps a literal translation and a
                    poetic one might be
                    in order.

                    Doing a "Dragon Language" translation would also be a flavorful
                    presentation.
                  • Palmer
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 31, 2007
                      On 31 Mar 2007, at 8:41, Aidan Grey wrote:

                      > It's a cool idea, but it's very bad Latin.

                      The point was not to have good latin though.

                      It was to sound impressive at the table, which will pretty much universally consist of
                      non-latin speakers :)

                      ====================
                      I am Palmer, Squishy of Squishies. Look upon my bulk, ye mighty, and giggle uncontrollably!
                    • Rel Fexive
                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 31, 2007
                        --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Palmer" <palmer@...> wrote:

                        > On 31 Mar 2007, at 8:41, Aidan Grey wrote:
                        >
                        > > It's a cool idea, but it's very bad Latin.
                        >
                        > The point was not to have good latin though.

                        By it being *bad* latin, of course, that makes it a great resource for
                        all those "badly worded" Dresden Files spells... ;)
                      • René López
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 31, 2007
                          > The point was not to have good latin though.
                          >
                          > It was to sound impressive at the table, which will pretty much
                          universally consist of
                          > non-latin speakers :)

                          Really? No one speaks latin at you table? Lucky you ;)

                          I would never get away with that translation at my table, really.
                          People here takes their latin very seriously.
                        • Aidan Grey
                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 31, 2007
                            True, a more florid version is possible. But I gave them a bit more credit than they deserve. My translation "Repulsive evil is encircled" didn't account for all the grammatical errors. A more accurate translation might be:

                            Repulsitates evils to be encircled.

                            I had to make a few egregious english grammar errors, so it was clear what kind of badness there is...

                            :) A place on a wiki for translation would be tres cool...

                            Even the fixes you present "Repulsive evil is encircled" is more floral
                            and poetic than the
                            more literal translation you present perhaps a literal translation and a
                            poetic one might be
                            in order.

                            Doing a "Dragon Language" translation would also be a flavorful
                            presentation.

                            Never miss an email again!
                            Yahoo! Toolbar
                          • Aidan Grey
                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 31, 2007
                              Well... if they're all non-Latin speakers, why not correct latin then? It'll still sound cool. Or, for the linguistically pedantic like me, it will at least sound correct, and not make me cringe. :)

                              On 31 Mar 2007, at 8:41, Aidan Grey wrote:

                              > It's a cool idea, but it's very bad Latin.

                              The point was not to have good latin though.

                              It was to sound impressive at the table, which will pretty much universally consist of
                              non-latin speakers :)

                              The fish are biting.
                            • Palmer
                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 31, 2007
                                On 31 Mar 2007, at 17:02, Aidan Grey wrote:

                                > My translation "Repulsive evil is encircled" didn't account for all the
                                > grammatical errors. A more accurate translation might be:
                                >
                                > Repulsitates evils to be encircled.

                                The thing is though, that spell doesn't encircle (enclose) evil. It makes a circle to keep
                                evil OUT.

                                ====================
                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 31, 2007
                                  René López wrote:
                                  >> The point was not to have good latin though.
                                  >>
                                  >> It was to sound impressive at the table, which will pretty much
                                  >>
                                  > universally consist of
                                  >
                                  >> non-latin speakers :)
                                  >>

                                  > Really? No one speaks latin at you table? Lucky you ;)
                                  >
                                  > I would never get away with that translation at my table, really.

                                  Thrice encircling is a part of certain rituals for warding I've seen
                                  Wiccans do ... so
                                  "Repulsive evil is encircled" is a better spell name for me really ;-)

                                  that said "Presidium contra Malum" reads rather nicely and is going on
                                  my personal
                                  copy of the Latin spell names.
                                  > People here takes their latin very seriously.

                                  I believe in the concept of poetic license particularly in spell
                                  names... but wouldn't mind having
                                  more literal translations along side poetic ones.. if for no other
                                  reason than I would prefer a more
                                  poetic naming of the spells in the first place not because I approve of
                                  inaccurate Latin... the
                                  excessively pragmatic/functional names for most of the magics in most
                                  game systems annoy me ..
                                  and nope never gamed with any who had actual Latin on there repertoire.

                                  Ars Magica gaming fanatics seem the ones most likely to have that on
                                  their repertoire.
                                • Aidan Grey
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Mar 31, 2007
                                    Exactly!! Others are worse....

                                    On 31 Mar 2007, at 17:02, Aidan Grey wrote:

                                    > My translation "Repulsive evil is encircled" didn't account for all the
                                    > grammatical errors. A more accurate translation might be:
                                    >
                                    > Repulsitates evils to be encircled.

                                    The thing is though, that spell doesn't encircle (enclose) evil. It makes a circle to keep
                                    evil OUT.

                                    Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.
                                  • Lance Dyas
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Mar 31, 2007
                                      Aidan Grey wrote:
                                      > True, a more florid version is possible. But I gave them a bit more
                                      > credit than they deserve. My translation "Repulsive evil is encircled"
                                      > didn't account for all the grammatical errors. A more accurate
                                      > translation might be:
                                      >
                                      > Repulsitates evils to be encircled.
                                      >
                                      > I had to make a few egregious english grammar errors, so it was clear
                                      > what kind of badness there is...
                                      >
                                      > :) A place on a wiki for translation would be tres cool...
                                      I'm investigating making a wiki... though perhaps somebody already knows
                                      an appropriate
                                      homespace for posting such a thing?

                                    • Darren Hill
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Mar 31, 2007

                                        You could do what Fred, Rob, and Landon have done - open a free account
                                        on wikidot
                                        http://www.wikidot.com/
                                      • Aidan Grey
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Mar 31, 2007
                                          Wikidot.com is awesome....

                                          > True, a more florid version is possible. But I gave them a bit more
                                          > credit than they deserve. My translation "Repulsive evil is encircled"
                                          > didn't account for all the grammatical errors. A more accurate
                                          > translation might be:
                                          >
                                          > Repulsitates evils to be encircled.
                                          >
                                          > I had to make a few egregious english grammar errors, so it was clear
                                          > what kind of badness there is...
                                          >
                                          > :) A place on a wiki for translation would be tres cool...
                                          I'm investigating making a wiki... though perhaps somebody already knows
                                          an appropriate
                                          homespace for posting such a thing?

                                          Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.
                                        • Lance Dyas
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Apr 1, 2007
                                            Aidan Grey wrote:
                                            > Wikidot.com is awesome....
                                            So it seems I made a page
                                            http://rosemagic.wikidot.com/

                                            I am building up my Wiki Fu....
                                            kind of interesting.

                                            sorry if the look is well a little un customized
                                            my own site

                                            password:
                                            WilliamWordsmith

                                            Lance Dyas
                                            http://www.dyasdesigns.com/roleplay
                                            http://rosemagic.wikidot.com/

                                          • Chuk Goodin
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Apr 2, 2007
                                              On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 09:16:02PM -0500, Lance Dyas wrote:
                                              > stevenweasel@... wrote:
                                              > > Addition undeveloped ideas include allowing spell casting to exceed
                                              > > class limits but on failure to cast spell, refer to something along
                                              > > the lines of S. John Ross's UMANA table.
                                              > UMANA rules, and it is my firm belief it should be converted into every
                                              > fantasy roleplaying magic system especially those I don't like (D&D)
                                              > or who appropriately lack any official magic system (Fate) think out
                                              > loud on this idea please ;-)

                                              I vote in favour. I love UMANA.
                                            • Lance Dyas
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Apr 2, 2007
                                                Chuk Goodin wrote:
                                                > On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 09:16:02PM -0500, Lance Dyas wrote:
                                                >
                                                >> stevenweasel@... wrote:
                                                >>
                                                >>> Addition undeveloped ideas include allowing spell casting to exceed
                                                >>> class limits but on failure to cast spell, refer to something along
                                                >>> the lines of S. John Ross's UMANA table.
                                                >>>
                                                >> UMANA rules, and it is my firm belief it should be converted into every
                                                >> fantasy roleplaying magic system especially those I don't like (D&D)
                                                >> or who appropriately lack any official magic system (Fate) think out
                                                >> loud on this idea please ;-)
                                                >>

                                                > I vote in favour. I love UMANA.

                                                I did find a couple instances of fudge UMANA on the web.. but really I
                                                think aspects and tagging and what not call for a different treatment.

                                                http://members.dsl-only.net/~bing/frp/fudge/arf/rules/magic/umana.html
                                                http://www.sonic.net/~rknop/Omar/fudge/gramarye.html
                                              • Aidan Grey
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Apr 2, 2007
                                                  A better resource for UMana:

                                                  http://web.archive.org/web/19990427224942/http://www.io.com/~caroth/UnlimitedMana.htm

                                                  > On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 09:16:02PM -0500, Lance Dyas wrote:
                                                  >
                                                  >> stevenweasel@ goatonthetrollbr idge.com wrote:
                                                  >>
                                                  >>> Addition undeveloped ideas include allowing spell casting to exceed
                                                  >>> class limits but on failure to cast spell, refer to something along
                                                  >>> the lines of S. John Ross's UMANA table.
                                                  >>>
                                                  >> UMANA rules, and it is my firm belief it should be converted into every
                                                  >> fantasy roleplaying magic system especially those I don't like (D&D)
                                                  >> or who appropriately lack any official magic system (Fate) think out
                                                  >> loud on this idea please ;-)
                                                  >>

                                                  > I vote in favour. I love UMANA.

                                                  I did find a couple instances of fudge UMANA on the web.. but really I
                                                  think aspects and tagging and what not call for a different treatment.

                                                  http://members. dsl-only. net/~bing/ frp/fudge/ arf/rules/ magic/umana. html
                                                  http://www.sonic. net/~rknop/ Omar/fudge/ gramarye. html

                                                  Looking for earth-friendly autos?
                                                • stevenweasel@goatonthetrollbridge.com
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Apr 2, 2007

                                                    Just a quick note. The first version is done. It is two separate files. The first is OGL Fate-SotC d20 magic conversion. This one I have no problem distributing. The second is a Fate-SotC coversion of UMANA. All of the IP holders S. John Ross, Steve Jackson Games, and Evil Hat Productions are credited and none is being invoked or challenged  by myself. Since UMANA is posted on the web for download I don't have a problem sending the conversion to individuals, but I won't post it with out permission.  I use Open Office so I can send these files in Open Office, MS Office, or PDF formats. Just let me know if you are interested.

                                                    Cheers,

                                                    Steve

                                                  • Lance Dyas
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Apr 2, 2007
                                                      Aidan Grey wrote:
                                                      > A better resource for UMana:
                                                      >
                                                      > http://web.archive.org/web/19990427224942/http://www.io.com/~caroth/UnlimitedMana.htm
                                                      > <http://web.archive.org/web/19990427224942/http://www.io.com/%7Ecaroth/UnlimitedMana.htm>

                                                      the alive and kicking
                                                      http://www.io.com/~sjohn/unlimited-mana.htm

                                                      The others were posted because somebody had gone a step in the fate
                                                      direction by conversion
                                                      to fudge. shrug...

                                                    • _M_A_W_
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Apr 2, 2007
                                                        --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Lance Dyas <lancelot@...> wrote:

                                                        > Aidan Grey wrote:
                                                        > > A better resource for UMana:

                                                        http://web.archive.org/web/19990427224942/http://www.io.com/~caroth/U
                                                        nlimitedMana.htm
                                                        > > <http://web.archive.org/web/19990427224942/http://www.io.com/%
                                                        7Ecaroth/UnlimitedMana.htm>

                                                        > the alive and kicking
                                                        > http://www.io.com/~sjohn/unlimited-mana.htm

                                                        Here is the beginnings of a Fudge magic system that I started a
                                                        while back:

                                                        http://www.fudgerpg.info/guide/bin/view/Guide/DropInMagic#DropInMagic
                                                        Rules

                                                        I mention it here because I was going for a system with no
                                                        mana/spell point type mechanic.

                                                        Mitch
                                                      • René López
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Apr 3, 2007
                                                          --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, stevenweasel@... wrote:

                                                          > Just a quick note. The first version is done. It is two separate
                                                          > files. The first is OGL Fate-SotC d20 magic conversion. This one I
                                                          > have no problem distributing. The second is a Fate-SotC coversion of
                                                          > UMANA. All of the IP holders S. John Ross, Steve Jackson Games, and
                                                          > Evil Hat Productions are credited and none is being invoked or
                                                          > challenged by myself. Since UMANA is posted on the web for download I
                                                          > don't have a problem sending the conversion to individuals, but I
                                                          > won't post it with out permission. I use Open Office so I can send
                                                          > these files in Open Office, MS Office, or PDF formats. Just let me
                                                          > know if you are interested.
                                                          >
                                                          > Cheers,
                                                          >
                                                          > Steve

                                                          Steve, would you please
                                                          a) post your OGL findings on the wiki
                                                          b) post the OGL file to the Files section of the group
                                                          c) Send me an email with the files on PDF :)

                                                          Thanks