Unbalancing items...

  • JRice
    Message 1 of 48 , Aug 3, 2003
      I'm about to run a game, and before chargen, one of my players already
      has a very clear idea of where he wants his character to head.

      Sadly, that heading includes some items that I consider unbalancing.

      First, he wants a sword that "confers the ability of its legendary
      forebearers". I translated this to a sword that imparts Legendary
      skill, but--since it is skill-trumping--requires the use of an aspect to
      invoke it. He then argued that with his 8-aspect character, who is
      taking a swordsmanship skill at the top of his pyramid, and an optional
      rule that I'm using (Strengths and Weaknesses), that a Legendary skill
      is not that big of a bonus. (He will already have the skill at Great,
      with a Strength that makes it effectively Superb.)

      Thoughts?

      Second, he wants an item that lets him invoke a spirit (ie: cast a
      spell) that I have already deemed is nearly impossible in this setting.
      Yet, again, he's gamed the system a bit to the point where he can
      approach doing the impossible, and is trying to add an item to make it a
      "sure thing", essentially. Since we're in pre-chargen, and he's really
      just asking about things, I keep discouraging him from this path, but
      he's being insistant... he really, REALLY wants to play this type of
      character. In any case, he originally described this item as an
      hourglass... I said that was okay, but that the item was *fragile*,
      meaning he would be ill-advised to take it into battle. I thought it
      would add some nice strategy to it.

      He then came back and said--again, we're in pre-chargen question-asking
      stages, here--that instead it was the "eye of so-and-so", and was a
      steel ball the size of a marble. Ie: changing the concept to trump the
      limitation I put on it.

      I fumed a bit, and said that I would have to allow it, but that it just
      bought him some bad karma to go and remove the limitations I was trying
      to impose.

      This, of course, set him to accusations of "breaking the rules", yadda
      yadda.

      Anyway, I'm a bit frustrated, and would like some advice. Any thoughts?
    • James Pacek
      Message 48 of 48 , Aug 5, 2003
        Oooh! I can hardly wait!

        PS: Maybe you accept submissions? :)

        On Tuesday, August 5, 2003, at 09:12 PM, Iago wrote:

        >> I hope some of this is going into the Fate book! Just in
        >> case, I'm cutting and pasting from the email!
        >
        > No way. We're having a hard enough time getting it out the
        > door as it is.
        >
        > Maybe we'll do a book of Yet More Magic at some point in
        > the future. :)

        Thanks,

        Jim Pacek
        wilmanric@...