Re: Spirit of Falkenstein

  • sjsamurai007
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 2, 2007
      I'm actually working on this right now! (I call it Castle Fate'nstein)

      I'm nearly done with the races... they weren't too hard at all. Magic
      is a bit tougher, not sure yet which way I'm going to go with it yet.
      But IMO FATE fits the setting extremely well.

      --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, rick jones <rickjthree@...> wrote:

      > Gahhh. Yet another system adaptation I want to do...
      >
      > Castle Falkenstein using SOTC rules. Only hard part would be
      nonhuman characters and magic.
      > --
      > Rick Jones
      > http://www.livejournal.com/~rickj

    • René López
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 3, 2007
        --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "sjsamurai007" <TomMiskey@...> wrote:

        > I'm actually working on this right now! (I call it Castle Fate'nstein)
        >
        > I'm nearly done with the races... they weren't too hard at all. Magic
        > is a bit tougher, not sure yet which way I'm going to go with it yet.
        > But IMO FATE fits the setting extremely well.

        It would also be nice to try to retain the use of cards on it (I kind
        of remember some discussion about FATE with a poker deck). Otherwise,
        all the ladies would faint for all those dice :P FATE points would be
        poker chips!

        Which exactly are you're troubles with magic? Falkenstein's magic
        system is quite open ended and would seem to fit FATE nicely. Perhaps
        you'd like to share your thoughts.
      • sjsamurai007
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 4, 2007
          I've actually come up with the basics for a card system as well:

          You draw 1 card each time you would normally roll 4dF. A Fate pt
          either lets you draw a new card or add +2, as usual.

          Black cards are negative, red cards are positive.

          2-4 (either color) = 0
          5-8 = + or - 1
          9-J = + or - 2
          Q-K = + or - 3
          Ace = + or - 4
          Joker = Not quite sure yet, but I'm thinking draw 2 more cards and use
          the better one.

          The way I handled races was to require an Aspect be dedicated toward
          it. If you invoke it, it helps you in the areas the race is typically
          strong in, and compels affect you in areas the race is weak in. There
          is a list for each race. There are also race-specific stunts (that
          require the proper racial Aspect) that increase specific racial
          abilities even further.

          As for magic, I'm thinking of just how I want the mechanics and
          underlying system to work... do I stress fidelity to the original
          setting spells (you can only cast a few spells known to your secret
          society), or do I perhaps expand things a bit, create more
          comprehensive spell categories (like those in WoD Mage)and then have
          the secret society you belong to (through an Aspect) aid you in spells
          of the type they are most known for (but you'd still be able to learn
          and cast other spells too)? Limiting it to just the society's spells,
          as the original system did, might be easier, but I always felt that
          some of the societies had far better spells (and many more of them)
          than other societies. It would also mean having to get another aspect
          in order to ever learn new spells (barring discovering a lost
          spellbook somewhere).

          What is your opinion on this?

          --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, René López <elmago79@...> wrote:

          > --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "sjsamurai007" <TomMiskey@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm actually working on this right now! (I call it Castle
          Fate'nstein)

          > > I'm nearly done with the races... they weren't too hard at all. Magic
          > > is a bit tougher, not sure yet which way I'm going to go with it yet.
          > > But IMO FATE fits the setting extremely well.
          > >

          > It would also be nice to try to retain the use of cards on it (I kind
          > of remember some discussion about FATE with a poker deck). Otherwise,
          > all the ladies would faint for all those dice :P FATE points would be
          > poker chips!
          >
          > Which exactly are you're troubles with magic? Falkenstein's magic
          > system is quite open ended and would seem to fit FATE nicely. Perhaps
          > you'd like to share your thoughts.

        • Darren Hill
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 4, 2007
            If you want to stick close to the probabilities of Fudge/Fate, the card
            draw should be something like the following:

            Red = Minus, Black = Plus
            Joker: +/-4
            Ace: +/-3
            Face Card (J, Q, K) +/-2

            Roll Fudge Card
            +/-4 2.5% 3.7%
            +/-3 9.9% 7.7%
            +/-2 25% 23%

            This gives very, very similar odds. Slightly (very slightly!) less 2's
            and 3's, slightly more +4's.

            Now, to divide the 2-10 into 0 and +/-1
            In Fudge, the 0 result crops up 37% of the time the dice fall in the
            range +1 to -1, in other words rouyghly 1/3rd.
            You could do it as "a result of 2-4 = 0, and 5-10 = +1 or -1 depending
            on the colour."
            Personally, I'd rely on pattern matching: "If the card is a multiple of
            3 it is treated as zero. Otherwise it's +1 or -1 depending on colour."

            So, you'd draw a card:
            If it's a Joker, that's +4 or -4.
            If it's an Ace, that's +3
            If it's a Face card, +2.
            If it's a 3, 6, or 9, discard it - that's +0.
            Otherwise, you're left with a +1 or -1.

            Darren

          • sjsamurai007
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 4, 2007
              I personally don't use Fudge dice when I play, I use 1d6-1d6, so I was
              aiming for something closer to that. I prefer a somewhat more
              dramatic game with more highs and lows on the rolls/cards. But for
              those that want to stick closer to 4dF, those are good guidelines.

              --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Darren Hill" <rpglists@...> wrote:

              > If you want to stick close to the probabilities of Fudge/Fate, the card
              > draw should be something like the following:
              >
              > Red = Minus, Black = Plus
              > Joker: +/-4
              > Ace: +/-3
              > Face Card (J, Q, K) +/-2
              >

              > Roll Fudge Card
              > +/-4 2.5% 3.7%
              > +/-3 9.9% 7.7%
              > +/-2 25% 23%
              >
              > This gives very, very similar odds. Slightly (very slightly!) less 2's
              > and 3's, slightly more +4's.
              >

              > Now, to divide the 2-10 into 0 and +/-1
              > In Fudge, the 0 result crops up 37% of the time the dice fall in the
              > range +1 to -1, in other words rouyghly 1/3rd.
              > You could do it as "a result of 2-4 = 0, and 5-10 = +1 or -1 depending
              > on the colour."
              > Personally, I'd rely on pattern matching: "If the card is a multiple of
              > 3 it is treated as zero. Otherwise it's +1 or -1 depending on colour."
              >
              > So, you'd draw a card:
              > If it's a Joker, that's +4 or -4.
              > If it's an Ace, that's +3
              > If it's a Face card, +2.
              > If it's a 3, 6, or 9, discard it - that's +0.
              > Otherwise, you're left with a +1 or -1.
              >
              > Darren

            • Palmer
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 4, 2007
                On 5 Mar 2007, at 3:42, sjsamurai007 wrote:

                > I personally don't use Fudge dice when I play, I use 1d6-1d6

                I have to say, that die system annoys the hell out of me. I thought it was cool when I
                first saw it in Feng Shui, until I actually took a look at the results.

                It is, numerically, no different from 2d6-7 - you get the exact same range, and exact
                same probabilities.

                The difference is that d6-d6 is harder to total (it's a simple fact that subtraction takes
                almost twice as long as addition for most people, and it's worse when you go to
                negatives) and you need two coloured dice.

                The easy solution is to bump all target numbers by 7, and then just use flat 2d6.
                Mathematically in the game, nothing will change at all, and dice rolls will add up a lot
                faster.

                ====================
                I am Palmer, Squishy of Squishies. Look upon my bulk, ye mighty, and giggle uncontrollably!
              • René López
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 4, 2007
                  --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "sjsamurai007" <TomMiskey@...> wrote:

                  > I've actually come up with the basics for a card system as well:
                  >
                  > You draw 1 card each time you would normally roll 4dF. A Fate pt
                  > either lets you draw a new card or add +2, as usual.
                  >
                  > Black cards are negative, red cards are positive.
                  >
                  > 2-4 (either color) = 0
                  > 5-8 = + or - 1
                  > 9-J = + or - 2
                  > Q-K = + or - 3
                  > Ace = + or - 4
                  > Joker = Not quite sure yet, but I'm thinking draw 2 more cards and use
                  > the better one.

                  This sounds nice, some people would prefer Bell instead of Linear, but
                  the approach is great.

                  > The way I handled races was to require an Aspect be dedicated toward
                  > it. If you invoke it, it helps you in the areas the race is typically
                  > strong in, and compels affect you in areas the race is weak in. There
                  > is a list for each race. There are also race-specific stunts (that
                  > require the proper racial Aspect) that increase specific racial
                  > abilities even further.

                  That's the same way I went with Middle Earth. Are the abilities of
                  faeries still skills, or they are now handled as stunts?

                  > As for magic, I'm thinking of just how I want the mechanics and
                  > underlying system to work... do I stress fidelity to the original
                  > setting spells (you can only cast a few spells known to your secret
                  > society), or do I perhaps expand things a bit, create more
                  > comprehensive spell categories (like those in WoD Mage)and then have
                  > the secret society you belong to (through an Aspect) aid you in spells
                  > of the type they are most known for (but you'd still be able to learn
                  > and cast other spells too)? Limiting it to just the society's spells,
                  > as the original system did, might be easier, but I always felt that
                  > some of the societies had far better spells (and many more of them)
                  > than other societies. It would also mean having to get another aspect
                  > in order to ever learn new spells (barring discovering a lost
                  > spellbook somewhere).
                  >
                  > What is your opinion on this?

                  Changing the way magic works would alter the flavor of the setting.
                  Instead of changing the spells each society has, perhaps it would be a
                  good idea to make the spells you think are weaker to become cooler by
                  using FATE mechanics. If they could make Academics a terrific skill in
                  game, making lame spell terrific also should be a possibility.
                • sjsamurai007
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 5, 2007
                    The Faeries can do very minor glamours and such with just the Faerie
                    Aspect. Then there is a Stunt for each power that lets them do the
                    minor stuff at will and instead spend a Fate pt to try to do something
                    better. The Dwarves and Dragons are the same.

                    I realize that between the mages and non-humans, that's a lot of call
                    for Stunts (though they are all optional), so I gave 2 ways to get
                    additional stunts. First, you may decide to trade your final Aspect
                    round (the 2 Aspects and Fate pts) for another Stunt. 2nd, you may
                    choose to take 2 skills at Poor and 1 at Terrible in exchange for a
                    Stunt. (This last idea of adding a basement to the skill pyramid is
                    actually inspired by the Falkenstein rules).

                    I realize that it'd change the flavor of the magic, but that is ok
                    with me... I always had some issues with them anyway. I suppose I
                    could do 2 versions and let people choose which they prefer. And
                    actually creating the 2 rules sets will probably help to clarify my
                    own opinion too.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 5, 2007
                      --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "sjsamurai007" <TomMiskey@...> wrote:

                      > The Faeries can do very minor glamours and such with just the Faerie
                      > Aspect. Then there is a Stunt for each power that lets them do the
                      > minor stuff at will and instead spend a Fate pt to try to do
                      something better. The Dwarves and Dragons are the same.

                      How about etherealness and the like? I hope to get the names right,
                      since my copy of Falkenstein is in Spanish. What do humans get to do
                      with their racial aspect?

                      > I realize that between the mages and non-humans, that's a lot of call
                      > for Stunts (though they are all optional), so I gave 2 ways to get
                      > additional stunts. First, you may decide to trade your final Aspect
                      > round (the 2 Aspects and Fate pts) for another Stunt. 2nd, you may
                      > choose to take 2 skills at Poor and 1 at Terrible in exchange for a
                      > Stunt. (This last idea of adding a basement to the skill pyramid is
                      > actually inspired by the Falkenstein rules).

                      I really think 5 Aspects are more than enough. Falkentein's characters
                      (at least in my mind) aren't as powerful as SotC characters. Anyway,
                      since those ideas are optional, though I don't like it, other ones might.

                      > I realize that it'd change the flavor of the magic, but that is ok
                      > with me... I always had some issues with them anyway. I suppose I
                      > could do 2 versions and let people choose which they prefer. And
                      > actually creating the 2 rules sets will probably help to clarify my
                      > own opinion too.

                      For one, 'cooler' magic systems might lead to a proliferation of mage
                      characters, so I'd be cautious to that approach. Anyway, if you feel I
                      could help you with adapting the older system, please feel free to
                      ask. After wrapping up our current FATE of the Rings campaign, CF
                      might be the way to go!
                    • Darren Hill
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 5, 2007
                        I had another idea relating to cardplay. This is off the cuff, so there
                        may be problems.

                        First, use two decks, to increase the number of rare cards in play.

                        Then, when you draw a card, you cvan either play it, or spend a fate
                        point to put it in your hand - in which case you are treated as having
                        drawn a +0.
                        You can't have more cards in your hand than your aspects (a useful limit
                        if you follow an earlier suggestion and limit Falkenstein aspects to
                        five).
                        Then later, you can invoke an aspect to use the card (no fate point
                        cost).

                        You can spend a fate point to put bad cards in your hand, as well as
                        good ones, to avoid that -4 when it hits you. But it's sitting there,
                        taking space in your hand until you use it.
                        If you use a bad card in a way that turns it into a compel (you fail
                        some significant test because of it), you gain a fate point.

                        How's that?

                        Darren