Re: [FateRPG] [SotC] Superpowers

    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 2, 2007
      If you can stand being patient about it, we'll at least hint at some
      possible superpower implementations with the advent of the Dresden Files
      RPG.

      Fred
    • Chris Helton
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 2, 2007
        --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Burdick" <bill.burdick@...> wrote:

        > Why limit the number of uses AND make it cost a fate point? Why not
        > just have it cost a fate point?

        While RPGnet is down right now, Bailywolf and I discussed a method of
        scaling Aspects to help simulate super-powered individuals. The
        Aspects already available in SotC became "normal" Aspects, and then we
        had three or four others on top of that. I think we also worked out a
        rudimentary system for higher Aspects "trumping" lower ones.

        If RPGnet were up I could find the thread again. There was some pretty
        good discussion in it. Maybe Bailywolf can remember more than me and
        chime in. I think he's on this list.

        Chris
      • Chris Helton
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 2, 2007
          --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Fred Hicks <evilhat@...> wrote:

          > If you can stand being patient about it, we'll at least hint at some
          > possible superpower implementations with the advent of the Dresden
          > Files RPG.

          Wait? Gamers can't wait. :)

          Chris
        • yasmine_bint_salim
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 2, 2007
            Sorry, I wasn't clear.

            What I meant was that yu use a FATE point to trigger it, but get the
            effectof the aspect once per "rank" with the aspect. So Superstrengtgh
            5 is like tagging the aspect 5 times for 1 fate point. Five rerolls,
            or +19 (+2 five times), etc.

            --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Burdick" <bill.burdick@...> wrote:

            > Why limit the number of uses AND make it cost a fate point? Why not
            > just have it cost a fate point?
            >
            > Bill
            >

            > --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "yasmine_bint_salim"
            > <yasmine_bint_salim@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I haven't tried this, but I had an idea that grew up out a couple of
            > > heroic type character I did for SotC(needed a few more stunts for
            > > Batman, but the Green Hornet was fairly close, yeah about 14 years
            > > early, but not bad).
            > >
            > > Stunts sort of handle it in SotC, but obviously only allow for
            > > slightly outrageous results, since it was made for Pulp not Comics.
            > >
            > > I was thinking that combining FATE 3.0/SotC7s aspect use with FATE 27s
            > > ability to buy aspects multiple times might work. So someone with, say
            > > "Kryptoian Strengh ()()()()()" could spent a Fate point to invoke it
            > > for a +10. combined with the Herculean Strength stunt and a Legendary
            > > (+8) Might skill and we might be able to pull it off. If we changed
            > > the lifting table Weight Factor ratings from a linear progression to a
            > > nonlinear one, we could avoid using six digit ratings). Just build the
            > > scale so the numbers stay realsitc at the normal range and get big
            > > once you pass the 10 point barrier or so.

          • yasmine_bint_salim
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 2, 2007
              --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Fred Hicks <evilhat@...> wrote:

              > If you can stand being patient about it, we'll at least hint at some
              > possible superpower implementations with the advent of the Dresden
              Files
              > RPG.
              >
              > Fred

              And if we can't? :)
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 2, 2007
                yasmine_bint_salim wrote:
                > --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Fred Hicks <evilhat@...> wrote:
                >
                >> If you can stand being patient about it, we'll at least hint at some
                >> possible superpower implementations with the advent of the Dresden Files RPG.
                >>
                > And if we can't? :)

                Then let me at least plant the idea of "supernatural power stunts" which
                pack more than one stunt's value into a single one, at the cost of
                reducing your refresh by several points. :)

                Fred
              • Landon Darkwood
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 2, 2007
                  Fred Hicks wrote:
                  > Then let me at least plant the idea of "supernatural power stunts" which
                  > pack more than one stunt's value into a single one, at the cost of
                  > reducing your refresh by several points. :)

                  Oh, my God. I can't believe you outed the killer app. :)

                  -L
                • Bill Burdick
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 2, 2007
                    Interesting. Potentially cheaper than one fp per use, but with an
                    opportunity cost...

                    Bill

                    --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Fred Hicks <evilhat@...> wrote:

                    > yasmine_bint_salim wrote:
                    > > --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Fred Hicks <evilhat@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > >> If you can stand being patient about it, we'll at least hint at some
                    > >> possible superpower implementations with the advent of the
                    Dresden Files RPG.

                    > > And if we can't? :)
                    > >
                    > Then let me at least plant the idea of "supernatural power stunts"
                    which
                    > pack more than one stunt's value into a single one, at the cost of
                    > reducing your refresh by several points. :)
                    >
                    > Fred

                  • Bill Burdick
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 2, 2007
                      So.

                      When are you guys going to post your master tweaking spreadsheet with
                      point sources and their relative impacts on the mechanics? I know
                      you've got one. At least Landon has to have one (or more)!

                      Bill

                      --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Burdick" <bill.burdick@...> wrote:

                      > Interesting. Potentially cheaper than one fp per use, but with an
                      > opportunity cost...
                      >

                      > Bill
                      >

                      > --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Fred Hicks <evilhat@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > yasmine_bint_salim wrote:

                      > Dresden Files RPG.
                      > > >>
                      > > > And if we can't? :)
                      > > >
                      > > Then let me at least plant the idea of "supernatural power stunts"
                      > which
                      > > pack more than one stunt's value into a single one, at the cost of
                      > > reducing your refresh by several points. :)
                      > >
                      > > Fred

                    • Manveru
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 2, 2007

                        Wow, gamers are relentless, man, relentless ... ;^}~

                        .. Of course, I want one too ... 8^D .. But I can wait for Dresden :^) ...
                        *duck* ... Probably because I'm so swamped and innundated with personal
                        projects and life wack that I can't even think about another game right now
                        ..

                        Way, way OT: But I did manage to implement two functional (proof-of-concept)
                        add-on vessel modules for the free space sim Orbiter, with "Star Wars"
                        manuevering physics (i.e. anti-grav vector tweaking to allow banks and turns
                        like in the movies). I can now traverse the solar system in an Imperial
                        Star Destoyer I and the Republic Cruiser from EpI, with both SW and
                        Newtonian physics in play. Weeee!

                        Need personalized email and website? Look no further. It's easy
                        with Doteasy $0 Web Hosting! Learn more at www.doteasy.com
                      • Palmer
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 2, 2007
                          On 2 Feb 2007, at 11:41, Jim Henley wrote:

                          > It seems like a really good "human-scale" system (including
                          > *eccentric* humans, of course), but without as much room
                          > "out the top end" as I'd look for in a supers game.

                          Depends on how you define your scale. SOTC pegs Superb +5 as the pinnacle for
                          humans, even exceptional ones.

                          What if, in your supers game, you pegged the pinnacle at Good +3, but characters still
                          got a Superb skill pyramid?

                          Right there, the characters are "out the top end" already - just in their skills alone
                          they're over 150% above the best "normal humans". And then they get Stunts.

                          ====================
                          I am Palmer, Squishy of Squishies. Look upon my bulk, ye mighty, and giggle uncontrollably!
                        • Palmer
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 2, 2007
                            On 2 Feb 2007, at 15:06, barna284 wrote:

                            > I was wondering how I´d use SotC for a superhero game;
                            > the two core issues for me are how to handle powers (Stunts?
                            > Aspects? Skills?) and how to handle extended ranges for skills
                            > (superhuman strength / resilience / etc.).

                            I've already been working on this in my spare time, actually :)

                            > I like Stunts as the "special power" mechanism, but I´m not
                            > sure if a "graded" mechanism wouldn´t be better (that is,
                            > having a sort of "power pyramid" with rankings for each power).

                            The tentative system I'm sketching out has Stunts, but also has a separate pool of
                            "abilities" to cover the superhuman abilities.

                            The base idea I have is that powers are generally open - many predefined, but mostly
                            including guidelines for making your own. And the specifics of the premade powers will
                            be intentionally loose.

                            The basic idea is that you get five (I keep coming back to 5) "ability" picks.

                            One pick buys a super ability. This is a lower level power, more of an extraordinary
                            ability that's beyond human power.
                            Examples would include super-jumping, super speed (up to about 60mph or so),
                            unusual (x-ray) vision, toughness, or a basic "super class" gadget or special weapon
                            (magic sword, ray gun, unobtanium claws).
                            The design rules for it would probably say "Gives +1 to relevant skill when appropriate,
                            +2 to a specific circumstance, and one special effect".
                            Unobtanium claws would give +1 to Fighting, +2 to cut through hard substances, and a
                            special effect of "concealable". Unnatural toughness would give +1 to Endurance, +2
                            to resist physical harm, and the special effect "can be used to complement physical
                            defense rolls". And so forth.

                            Two picks buys you a Super Power. This lets you have a stronger version of any ability
                            (above) or an outright "big" power like Flight or Shoot Energy Beams.
                            One of the most common effects of a Power is to let you use an existing skill for a
                            completely different purpose.
                            "Invulnerability" would let you use Endurance for defense rolls (rather than Fighting or
                            Athletics), "Invisibility" lets you use Stealth in plain sight and "Sonic Scream" lets you
                            make attack rolls using Art!
                            The other main use is to allow you to use a skill without the appropriate tools.
                            Flight lets you fly without a plane/jetpack. Energy Blast lets you make ranged attacks
                            without a weapon. Gadget Master lets you build gadgets out of things even MacGyver
                            couldn't use.

                            I am Palmer, Squishy of Squishies. Look upon my bulk, ye mighty, and giggle uncontrollably!