Re: [FateRPG] Re: 7th Sea SotC conversion

  • Sarah Monster
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 6, 2007
      On 1/5/07, barna284 <barna284@...> wrote:
      > --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Michael <raconteurx@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I would go one step further and morph "Etiquette" into
      > > "Social Graces" a la _Castle Falkenstein_. It would
      > > cover not just customs such as etiquette and protocol,
      > > but things like dancing and fashion. Any courtier
      > > worth the name would undoubtedly be well-versed in
      > > such a skill. To briefly take an example from the
      > > _Chronicles of Amber_, Social Graces would definitely
      > > be Flora's apex skill.
      >
      > Indeed, the general idea of Etiquette is integrating all the skills
      > which allow you to "blend in" in polite environments (Fashion,
      > Dancing, Gossip, etc). I first intended this to be a catch-all skill
      > with Stunts for each environment (Courtier, Military, etc), but now
      > that I think about it I´ll probable restrict it to "civilized"
      > etiquette and create a "street savvy" knack for the Crime skill.
      > Gentlemanly demeanor is important enough in a swashbuckling game to
      > merit it´s own skill.

      How about "Courtly Graces" as a name? It seems to have a general sense
      while still being focused on more... courtly settings.
    • barna284
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 10, 2007
        OK, did a bit of thinking and while I haven't created any new Stunts yet, I have already decided on the Stunt changes I want for my conversion. Please take a lot and tell if you can think of any imporvements on this list.

        Academics (no changes)

        Alertness (no changes)

        Art (no changes)

        The Reputation tree is taken out as there will be specific mechanics for reputation & fame.

        Athletics

        The Equestrian Stunt is taken out as it clashes with the new Horsemanship Skill.

        Brawling (originally Fists)

        The whole Martial Arts tree is taken out for genre reasons (not very swashbuckling).

        Burglary (no changes)

        Contacting

        The Reputation tree is taken out as there will be specific mechanics for reputation & fame.

        Craftsmanship (new Skill)

        Deceit (no changes)

        Empathy (no changes)

        Endurance (no changes)

        Etiquette (new Skill)

        Firearms (originally Guns)

        The Stunt Rain of Lead is taken out for genre reasons (reloading a blackpowder weapon takes considerable time)

        Gambling (no changes)

        Horsemanship (new Skill)

        Intimidation (no changes)

        Leadership

        This Skill's focus is changed from the original "handling minions & bureaucracy" function to something more related to "lead & command people". Therefore, a whole new selection of Stunts is used.

        Melee (originally Weapons)

        The Proficiency tree is changed to the Fencer tree as follows:

        Regarding character creation, I was thinking of a 4-phase CG initially, something like this...

        Phase 1: Background & childhood

        Phase 2: Youthful stories

        Phase 3: Adventurous tales

        Phase 4: Swashbuckling serial!

        Sound reasonable?
      • Palmer
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 10, 2007
          On 10 Jan 2007, at 12:59, barna284 wrote:

          > Brawling (originally Fists)
          >
          > The whole Martial Arts tree is taken out for genre reasons (not very
          > swashbuckling).

          Several of the stunts COULD be adapted to 7S with ease.
          The base stunt Martial Arts could be renamed "Fencing School Graduate" or the like.
          Mechanically, it's identical, but thematically it's completely different - and appropriate.
          You could then build a couple trees off of that for specific schools. Other stunts are
          similar. Who is to say you can't make a Demoralizing Stance by swishing your rapier
          around in a particularly impressive way?
          Flying Kick? No, that's a Fleche. Etc etc.

          No need to write off an entire stunt tree when you can rename and cannibalize it!

          > Firearms (originally Guns)
          >
          > The Stunt Rain of Lead is taken out for genre reasons
          > (reloading a blackpowder weapon takes considerable time)

          I think you want to drop Fast Reload...
          Rain of Lead, while harder to use, IS possible in 7S.
          You think those buccaneers wore bandoliers of 4-8 pistols strapped across their
          chests for show?

          Also, given the one shot nature of black powder weapons, you may want to disallow
          One Shot Left, as having only one shot is the norm, not the exception.

          > Horsemanship (new Skill)

          So wait, Craftsmanship, Etiquette, Horsemanship...
          But no SAILING? Or Gunner, for the cannon?

          I think you're missing a few fundamentals still.

          > Regarding character creation, I was thinking of a 4-phase CG initially,
          > something like this...
          >

          > Phase 1: Background & childhood
          >
          > Phase 2: Youthful stories
          >
          > Phase 3: Adventurous tales
          >
          > Phase 4: Swashbuckling serial!
          >
          > Sound reasonable?

          If you only want players to have 8 aspects and 4 stunts, that's the way to go.

          Of course, nothing says you have to have the same number of aspects per phase. You
          could make phases 3 and 4 have 3 aspects each, making 10 total.

          ====================
          I am Palmer, Squishy of Squishies. Look upon my bulk, ye mighty, and giggle uncontrollably!
        • barna284
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 11, 2007
            > > Brawling (originally Fists)
            > >
            > > The whole Martial Arts tree is taken out for genre reasons (not very
            > > swashbuckling).
            >
            > Several of the stunts COULD be adapted to 7S with ease.
            > The base stunt Martial Arts could be renamed "Fencing School
            Graduate" or the like.
            > Mechanically, it's identical, but thematically it's completely
            different - and appropriate.
            > You could then build a couple trees off of that for specific
            schools. Other stunts are
            > similar. Who is to say you can't make a Demoralizing Stance by
            swishing your rapier
            > around in a particularly impressive way?
            > Flying Kick? No, that's a Fleche. Etc etc.
            >
            > No need to write off an entire stunt tree when you can rename and
            cannibalize it!

            That is a good idea indeed. I've been struggling to find good Melee
            Stunts for a Fencing tree and as you say, I could very well canibalize
            a few of the Martial Arts tree Stunts.

            > > Firearms (originally Guns)
            > >
            > > The Stunt Rain of Lead is taken out for genre reasons
            > > (reloading a blackpowder weapon takes considerable time)
            >
            > I think you want to drop Fast Reload...
            > Rain of Lead, while harder to use, IS possible in 7S.
            > You think those buccaneers wore bandoliers of 4-8 pistols strapped
            across their
            > chests for show?
            >
            > Also, given the one shot nature of black powder weapons, you may
            want to disallow
            > One Shot Left, as having only one shot is the norm, not the exception.

            Will do, sounds quite reasonable.

            > > Horsemanship (new Skill)
            >
            > So wait, Craftsmanship, Etiquette, Horsemanship...
            > But no SAILING? Or Gunner, for the cannon?
            >
            > I think you're missing a few fundamentals still.

            Damn, I copied the skill list the wrong way from the .doc file. There
            are a few more skills, including a Seamanship skill, with Pilot and
            Gunner being Stunts most probably. I've already been working on some
            new Stunts for Horsemanship and Survival, I'll post the updated
            Skill/Stunt list shortly.

            > > Regarding character creation, I was thinking of a 4-phase CG
            initially,
            > > something like this...
            > >

            > > Phase 1: Background & childhood
            > >
            > > Phase 2: Youthful stories
            > >
            > > Phase 3: Adventurous tales
            > >
            > > Phase 4: Swashbuckling serial!
            > >
            > > Sound reasonable?
            >
            > If you only want players to have 8 aspects and 4 stunts, that's the
            way to go.

            > Of course, nothing says you have to have the same number of aspects
            per phase. You
            > could make phases 3 and 4 have 3 aspects each, making 10 total.

            I'm not sure if I want the pyramid to top at Suberb or Great, but I
            was thinking of regular 2-Aspect phases for the time being.
          • Palmer
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 11, 2007
              On 11 Jan 2007, at 11:27, barna284 wrote:

              > I'm not sure if I want the pyramid to top at Suberb or Great, but
              > I was thinking of regular 2-Aspect phases for the time being.

              The skill pyramid is not tied to the phase system though.

              ====================
              I am Palmer, Squishy of Squishies. Look upon my bulk, ye mighty, and giggle uncontrollably!
            • weaverchilde
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 4, 2008
                I'm wondering if this conversion got any further... the Sorcery in
                particular. I would love to see the write up if its still being worked
                on.

                --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "barna284" <barna284@...> wrote:

                > I've been thinking of adapting 7th Sea (high-action swashbuckling) to
                > SotC for some time now. As a matter of fact, I practically bought the
                > book with this purpose in mind. Pulp and Swashbuckling are not that
                > different IMHO, but I still have a few tweaks in mind regarding the
                > system. Since a few people have already been doing conversions (the SW
                > one for example), I thought I'd ask for some advice.

              • barna284
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 9, 2008
                  I did write a few pages on it, but haven´t been able to play it yet.
                  Sorcery is one of the hardest things to translate, so I was thinking
                  of doing Porte first and covert the others if I need them for my campaign.