RE: [FateRPG] Re: SotC Consequences and Concessions

  • Darren Hill
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31, 2006
      That was my impression on first reading the rules, but then I read the
      example on that same page (69) - notice the guard took the Mild
      Concession, Shaken, then offered a concession. But no mention was made
      of him losing the Shaken consequence. The reasoning given for offering
      Concessions is "when one party or the other simply
      does not want to risk taking moderate or severe consequences" - that
      suggests you Concede to avoid your _next_ Consequence, not the one
      you've just taken. (There's no risk in the just-taken consequence - you
      already have it.)
      Nowhere in the description of Concessions does it say you remove the
      Consequence just taken.
      Note also the first sentence on p68: "Any time a character takes a
      consequence, he _also_ has the option of offering a concession." That's
      more support for concessions being in addition to consequences.

      You could be right, the stunt certainly suggests it. But don't be
      offended if I reserve judgement till we hear from Fred, Rob, or Landon.
      :)

      Darren

    • Palmer
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2007
        On 1 Jan 2007, at 6:11, Darren Hill wrote:

        > "Any time your opponent opts to take a mild or moderate consequence
        > from a blow ... increase the severity of that consequence by one step,
        > increasing mild to moderate and moderate to severe. The opponent may
        > then reconsider whether to take the consequence, or instead offer a
        > concession."
        >
        > This suggests that if you concede and it's accepted, you don't suffer
        > the consequence. Is this so?

        You take the consequence, no matter what. A concession is simply saying "I'm giving
        up now, not fighting to the death".

        Lethal Weapon is activated when your opponent chooses to "Stick it out"
        It bumps the consequence one level. They are then given the choice to stick it out or
        offer a concession again.

        Process:
        Take a hit
        Roll it up
        Suffer a consequence.
        CHOICE: Stick it out OR offer concession
        IF Stick it out
        ACTIVATE Lethal Weapon
        Increase consequence
        Apply new consequence, replacing original one
        CHOICE: Stick it out OR offer concession

        So if they concede after taking the consequence, it stays at that level (even if you
        refuse the concession).
        If they opt to stick it out, then Lethal Weapon bumps it up.
        They get a second chance to concede. Regardless whether they do or not, the
        consequence is now stuck at the higher level.

        The clause about reconsidering is because a foe might offer a concession on a
        Moderate consequence, but not a Minor one. SO you hit them for a Minor, and they
        don't concede. You make it Moderate instead and they go "OK, that's too much".
        Without the clause, they'd be stuck with it.

        ====================
        I am Palmer, Squishy of Squishies. Look upon my bulk, ye mighty, and giggle uncontrollably!
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2007
          Darren Hill wrote:
          > The Concession rule in brief: if you take a Consequence, you can offer a
          > Concession and if accepted, you bow out of the conflict.
          > Question: if you Concede, do you actually take that Consequence or does
          > offering the concession avoid it?
          >
          > I was under the impression that offering the Concession didn't let you
          > avoid the Consequence, but the text in the Lethal Weapon stunt has made
          > me wonder:
          >
          > "Any time your opponent opts to take a mild or moderate consequence from
          > a blow ... increase the severity of that consequence by one step,
          > increasing mild to moderate and moderate to severe. The opponent may
          > then reconsider whether to take the consequence, or instead offer a
          > concession."
          >
          > This suggests that if you concede and it's accepted, you don't suffer
          > the consequence. Is this so?
          When I wrote that stunt, I had in mind that concession = avoid the
          consequence. This is in part because "taken out" is sort of the
          ultimate consequence, the one that went past severe, in SOTC. So
          consider: if you concede to avoid the "taken out", are you still also
          "taken out"? ... Not quite. So the idea I'd been operating on was that
          concessions were offering defeat on your own terms as replacement of the
          usual course of things. And that it's within your rights to say "...
          and I take the severe consequence" or "... and I don't take the severe
          consequence" as part of your concession terms.

          The reason I past-tensed the above is mainly because how we handled &
          interpreted consequences & concessions was in flux up to pretty close to
          publication -- so I could be on shaky ground. :)