Re: FATE for Steampunk

  • tehl_dashwood
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2006
      I agree, in genereal (I've been thinking about a Steampunk conversion
      in my head) - I've got a few comments -see below.

      --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Renato <renato.ramonda@...> wrote:

      > On 11/30/06, Michael R. Blair <pellinoire@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Before I make any serious effort to a Steampunk FATE game it
      > > seems a good idea to check with the mailing list and see if
      > > anyone else has already done the footwork for me – and to cream
      > > off any useful ideas and suggestions the list is bound to make.
      > >
      > > At the moment it is looking as if the setting will be more steam
      > > than punk. Weird science will of course make a necessary
      > > appearance with the works of von Frankenstein and doctors Morou
      > > and Jekyll being taken ruthless advantage of.
      >
      > Uhm... Others on the list will correct me if I'm wrong but... you
      > can pretty much take SotC and play it 50 years in the past (1870),
      > and you are set.

      This is the beauty of SOTC - I think you can play it 50 years before,
      or 50 years after the setting, without very much tweaking at all.

      > The 99% of what has changed is setting, and SotC is very light
      > (rules wise) in terms of settings. The mood IMO is not much
      > different: steampunk with weirdtech is not that far from twenties
      > mad science. You will just have to use some common sense when
      > deciding what is appropriate to the time.

      Character generation would have to be tweaked - ("where were you in
      the Great War?" doesn't really apply) - but that should be a minor
      change.

      > And just shift 50 years back in time the gears of Science! Stunts:
      > what is Mad or Future Science! will differ in victorian england.

      I've got to dust off my "Adventures of Brisco County" dvd's and watch
      them again...

      > Other than that... there will be a lot less Guns, but a bit more
      > Weapons... mysteries is perfect (M.me Blavatsky, anyone?), and a
      > dire shortage of flying machines and cars :)

      That would depend on setting... :-) I can see Guns being used just
      as much in 1870 as they would in 1920. The only *major* change I
      would consider is taking Riding out from Survival and using it to
      replace Pilot. (Animal handling would be under Riding, I would
      think) Then tweak some of the stunts - have things like

      - "My Horse Knows..." - for very well-trained horses - things
      like "carry me home" or "wait under the window"

      - "Trick riding" - to do something like ride on the side of your
      horse so you can't be shot, or standing on the saddle

      I'd keep "Fly (ok "Ride") By Night and "Flawless Navigation" from the
      Pilot stunt list...

      > But you can use Drive for carriages, carts, and so on! :)
      >
      > --
      > Renato Ramonda

      I started thinking about having "Custom Ride" or even "Prototype Car"
      and the stuff I could put on a wagon... I might have to think a lot
      more seriously about this...

      Hope this helped...

      Bill
    • Renato
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 4, 2006
        On 12/1/06, tehl_dashwood <tehl_dashwood@...> wrote:

        > Character generation would have to be tweaked - ("where were you in
        > the Great War?" doesn't really apply) - but that should be a minor
        > change.

        Well, for a britain based game, I think you can easily substitute that
        with "Where were you during the sikh wars?" ...or crimea, or whatever:
        the '800 is full of interesting place where to risk your life. It
        depends on the exact timeframe, I guess.

        > > Other than that... there will be a lot less Guns, but a bit more
        > > Weapons... mysteries is perfect (M.me Blavatsky, anyone?), and a
        > > dire shortage of flying machines and cars :)
        >
        > That would depend on setting... :-)

        Yeah, that's right: I was thinking about a Victorian england with
        steamtech as an exception, but it's really up to you to set your
        "benchmark" about how common is a steamcar or a steam gyro, or an
        ether zeppelin :)

        > - "My Horse Knows..." - for very well-trained horses - things
        > like "carry me home" or "wait under the window"

        Very good for swashbuckling gentlemen!

        > - "Trick riding" - to do something like ride on the side of your
        > horse so you can't be shot, or standing on the saddle

        This screams for "wild west cowboy visitor in victorian england" :)
        With huge mustaches and rough manners.

        > I'd keep "Fly (ok "Ride") By Night and "Flawless Navigation" from the
        > Pilot stunt list...

        > I started thinking about having "Custom Ride" or even "Prototype Car"
        > and the stuff I could put on a wagon... I might have to think a lot
        > more seriously about this...
        >
        > Hope this helped...

        Hehe... just think what clockwork tricks you could place on a steam
        powered cart...

        --
        Renato Ramonda
      • Mike Holmes
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 4, 2006
          >From: Renato <renato.ramonda@...>
          >
          >Uhm... Others on the list will correct me if I'm wrong but... you can
          >pretty much take SotC and play it 50 years in the past (1870), and you
          >are set.

          I'd say it's actually far more flexible than that. It's only if you really
          focus on some of the skills and stunts as written, without considering them
          in a more general light, that it's time-period specific at all, in my
          opinion.

          Think of it like this...Tarzan is pulp, no? Flash Gordon, too. SotC will
          support anything like this almost equally as well as the period in question,
          it seems to me. Becuse it's about the right sort of action and tone, not so
          much the details of when it supposedly occurs in history. Or so it seems to
          me.

          Mike

          WIN up to $10,000 in cash or prizes � enter the Microsoft Office Live
          Sweepstakes http://clk..atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0050001581mrt/direct/01/
        • John Fiala
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 4, 2006
            I've been reading SotC and Space:1889, and have been thinking of using
            the one to run the other at a convention game...

            --
            John Fiala
          • Mike Holmes
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 4, 2006
              >From: "John Fiala" <jcfiala@...>
              >
              >I've been reading SotC and Space:1889, and have been thinking of using
              >the one to run the other at a convention game...

              To quote Jeff Spicoli when asked if he wanted to play the video game
              asteroids. "Dude, what a truely noble idea!"

              That's a fit made in heaven. I always liked Space: 1889 conceptually, but
              the damn system never delivered.

              Mike

              Visit MSN Holiday Challenge for your chance to win up to $50,000 in Holiday
              cash!
              http://www.msnholidaychallenge.com/default.aspx?ocid=tagline&locale=en-us
            • Darren Hill
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 5, 2006

                Assuming he meant it that way around, of course: using Space 1889's
                system to run Spirit of Century, haha!

                I agree though, Space 1889 is a setting (like Castle Falkenstein) I've
                loved, but not been that gripped by the system.

                Darren
              • The Prophet King
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 5, 2006
                  Darren Hill wrote:

                  > Assuming he meant it that way around, of course: using Space 1889's
                  > system to run Spirit of Century, haha!
                  >
                  > I agree though, Space 1889 is a setting (like Castle Falkenstein) I've
                  > loved, but not been that gripped by the system.

                  Indeed. I have the Gurps Version... lovely setting, but, well, gurps was
                  never really my cup.

                  --
                  Eddie