Standard and Dramatic Scenes

  • Jim D
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2003
      Hello All,

      One of the things I am implementing in my Stormers game is an
      attempt to carry over a good idea from another game. In that other
      game, there was a difference between Standard and Dramatic scenes.
      In Standard scenes, the odds (mechanically speaking) were generally
      in favor of the heroes, and combats were (plotwise) meant to be less
      critical to the flow of the game. Dramatic scenes were different,
      and the game mechanics leveled out quite a bit, and were
      occasionally against the players. Dramatic scenes were critical to
      the story, and were generally the climax scenes of each Act of the
      adventure.

      While running this game, I witnessed the change in player attitudes
      as they took on a "this is going to be tough, so let's get down to
      business" demeanor. Combats were more tooth and nail, and more was
      at stake. Players spent their points more carefully (the game's
      equivalents of Aspects and Fudge Points) making sure to make them
      count. And then there was a "Critical Moment" mechanic in the game
      the let the player spend everything they had, and add all their
      bonuses...all into one dramatic action roll...hoping against hope
      that it would be enough to finally defeat the bad guy (or escape, or
      rescue someone, or whatever the climax of the scene was).

      So in keeping with this notion, I have decided to playtest the idea
      of not allowing a refresh of aspects in Dramatic scenes until a
      certain scene goal is accomplished (or some other criteria
      determined by the GM has been met).

      On paper, it looks like this will make the scene tough on the
      players at first, but then when the time comes, all players get
      their aspects refreshed and they can go gangbusters and let out all
      the stops to succeed in the scene.

      This seems very true to cinematics, especially in action movies.
      When defeat seems imminent, the villain suddenly reveals that indeed
      he was the one who was responsible for the death of the hero's
      beloved wife...and just as suddenly, the hero gets a second wind and
      begins to pound on villain.

      Controlling the point at which aspects are refreshed seems the ideal
      way to set players at a disadvantage, but then let them come out
      swinging in the end.

      --
      Best regards,
      Jim D JD -at- CastleGK -dot- com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 4, 2003
        --- Jim D <JD@...> wrote:
        > So in keeping with this notion, I have decided to playtest the idea
        > of not allowing a refresh of aspects in Dramatic scenes until a
        > certain scene goal is accomplished (or some other criteria
        > determined by the GM has been met).

        I can see this working very well in a Pulp-era type of campaign, also,
        where the obligatory cliffhanger scenes are the ones where the players
        get that second wind. I like this idea a lot, actually, the whole
        Standard and Dramatic scene idea. What game does it come from,
        originally?

        > On paper, it looks like this will make the scene tough on the
        > players at first, but then when the time comes, all players get
        > their aspects refreshed and they can go gangbusters and let out all
        > the stops to succeed in the scene.

        I've seen a lot of cinematic-type games handle this as a Gift-like
        trait you can buy, where you get a second wind in dramatically
        appropriate moments... in retrospect, it has a lot of merit as just
        being a blanket rule. In fact, in thinking about it, I usually do
        something like this in my normal GMing without thinking about it, where
        the players get their "points that affect die rolls" poll replenished
        at dramatically appropriate times, moreso than just from rest or
        whatever.

        > Controlling the point at which aspects are refreshed seems the
        > ideal way to set players at a disadvantage, but then let them come
        out
        > swinging in the end.

        Agreed. I'm curious to know how it works out in your game. If you can
        formalize the rules, it might make a nifty addition to the group's file
        library (hint, hint). :)

        -Landon

        http://calendar.yahoo.com
      • Jim D
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 4, 2003
          On 6/4/2003, in
          <mid:20030605005157.55276.qmail@...> Landon
          Darkwood was seen fudging this:

          > I like this idea a lot, actually, the whole
          > Standard and Dramatic scene idea. What game does it come from,
          > originally?

          Torg, by WEG. It is a game with a really amazing setting, and a really
          cumbersome and unimpressive game system.

          I am currently running the game online using GRIP (www.rpgrealms.com)
          software.

          I have room for more players...

          > Agreed. I'm curious to know how it works out in your game. If you can
          > formalize the rules, it might make a nifty addition to the group's file
          > library (hint, hint). :)

          I plan to formalize the rules...after playtesting and enough free time
          pops up.

          --
          Best regards,
          Jim D JD -at- CastleGK -dot- com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 4, 2003
            On 6/4/2003, in <mid:134477949134.20030604180130@...> Jim D
            was seen fudging this:

            > Torg, by WEG. It is a game with a really amazing setting, and a really
            > cumbersome and unimpressive game system.

            Oh, here's a link to an intro on the game at the WEG site for any
            interested:
            http://www.westendgames.com/html/plytorg.html

            --
            Best regards,
            Jim D JD -at- CastleGK -dot- com
            [Using The Bat! 1.61 on Windows XP Service Pack 1 Build 2600]
            ---
            Anything in parenthesis can (not) be ignored.
            ---
          • lictor_efed
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 18, 2003
              --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Landon Darkwood <jhudsui@y...> wrote:

              > I can see this working very well in a Pulp-era type of campaign...

              As someone who IS working on a PULP era FATE game, and a rabid TORG
              fan...

              A) AWESOME Idea, i think I will try it as well. Kudos.

              B) Why the hell didin't I think of that!

              Ray Sampson
            • Jim D
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 18, 2003
                On 6/18/2003, in <mid:bcqsvu+4sr7@...> lictor_efed was seen
                fudging this:

                > As someone who IS working on a PULP era FATE game, and a rabid TORG
                > fan...

                You are welcome to playtest with our group in my "Stormers" game. I
                could always use help coming up with Fate stuff for The New Nile
                Empire, you know. :)

                --
                Best regards,
                Jim D JD -at- CastleGK -dot- com