Re: [FateRPG] Re: TROS

  • Darren Hill
    Message 1 of 8 , May 29, 2003
      From: "Cam Banks" <boymonster@...>
      > > The examples in the rulebook of the Passion trait could have been lifted
      > > straight from pendragon - it certainly made me think of it :)
      >
      > I would be very much surprised if Pendragon wasn't the inspiration for
      these traits.

      Maybe - but in terms of application, there is as much similarity between
      TROS Spiritual traits and Pendragon Passions as there is between Pendagon
      Passions and FATE Aspects. They are similar, but different.

      > Outside of them, the game strongly resembles a kind of brutal Shadowrun
      meets
      > Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, mechanically, with a somewhat awkward
      metagaming
      > aspect to the combat system which relies in many cases on second-guessing
      the GM
      > or player's tastes in offensive or defensive choices.

      Not a big fan, then :)
      The combat system does interest me, as I find the way it handles wounds and
      combat manoeuvres very appealing. But I do wonder if it's a little clunky in
      actual play.

      > One of my good friends from New Zealand, Brian Leybourne, is writing for
      it. He raves
      > about it constantly, which unfortunately doesn't do much to engender
      optimism in
      > me.

      Is it that you doubt his judgement, don't like the same games, or are sick
      of hearing about it (the anti-hype effect)?

      > Ultimately, if I wanted to use passion-related mechanics I would stick to
      > Pendragon or use Fate (for aspects). The experience point innovation in
      TROS can be
      > imported straight into either game if needed.

      Any idea how? That's something I wondered about, but it's not straight
      forward.

      Darren
    • Iago
      Message 2 of 8 , May 30, 2003
        On Fri, 30 May 2003, lance dyas wrote:

        > Just realized where I had seen this before, for most
        > intents and purposes it seems the same as what is
        > sometimes called bidding a failure.
        >
        > Hmmmm
        >
        > Bidding a failure
        > Automatically fail at some significant action(agreed
        > upon by the GM) which you had a reasonable chance of
        > succeding at.. .your roll is assumed a -2 and you gain
        > one Fate Point? too much? or just Refresh an Aspect 1.

        Well, honestly, this sort of thinking is in my mind one of
        the ways a player can "electively, negatively invoke" an
        aspect if the GM's forgotten to bring it up (assuming GM
        approval to do so). (I have Weak 2 [][], I really need to
        break down that door, I elect to fail, no roll necessary
        -- GM can call that a negative invocation and hand over
        the 2 appropriate fate points.)

        In terms of your ideas --

        + Taking a penalty and gaining a single fate point --
        this is "less potent" than a negative invocation,
        so is more attractive to me.

        + Refreshing an aspect by one -- I'd avoid it. I
        consider refreshing an aspect to be a *very* potent
        effect. If it happens several times in a given normal
        "single refreshment" period on a low-number-of-boxes
        aspect, it'll have the effect of multiplying the
        number of boxes that character had available to him --
        way too potent for my taste, and could be an "abuse
        magnet" to boot.

        --
        Fred Hicks <iago AT iago DOT net>
        "Curse you iago and your fast fingers!" - Rob Donoghue