Sample Aspects

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 19, 2003
      Ok, so one of the recurring requests we've gotten is to include
      sample aspects in the appendix in the same way we present sample
      skills. In a desire to get away form thinking about alternate dice
      mechanics for a little bit, I got started on exactly that, and have
      posted the initial draft to the files section (aspect.pdf).

      I'm looking for feedback, specifically to address a few specific
      questions:

      1) Is that enough examples? Is it too many?
      2) What type of aspects aren't well represented?
      3) Would a "More Aspects" section following this, that's just a list
      and perhaps a single line of descrioption (like the skills) be useful?
      4) Is the format helpful, or is each writeup too big (or too small?)
      5) Do the aspects listed work?

      I'm interestied in more general feedback as well, but those are the
      big points in my mind.

      -Rob D.
    • Iago
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 19, 2003
        On Sun, 20 Apr 2003, Rob wrote:

        > 1) Is that enough examples? Is it too many?

        I'd do more, because I tend to think what some players
        will want is a list that's "complete" the way our skill
        list is "complete". The question is, can someone build a
        character wholly based on only selecting aspects from the
        section?

        > 2) What type of aspects aren't well represented?

        I think you've got the 'types' just fine, I just think the
        fault is that some types only have one example.

        > 3) Would a "More Aspects" section following this, that's
        > just a list and perhaps a single line of descrioption
        > (like the skills) be useful?

        This is probably what I'm driving at, so yes. As in, "here
        are 20 attribute-like aspects", "here are 20 gift-like
        aspects", "here are 20 flaw-like aspects", "here are 20
        background-focused aspects", etc.

        > 4) Is the format helpful, or is each writeup too big (or
        > too small?)

        I think the format's right.

        > 5) Do the aspects listed work?

        Yes.

        --
        Fred Hicks <iago AT iago DOT net>
        "Curse you iago and your fast fingers!" - Rob Donoghue
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 20, 2003
          On Saturday, April 19, 2003, at 05:38 PM, Rob wrote:

          > 1) Is that enough examples? Is it too many?

          You can never have too many examples. I enjoy reading them for
          inspiration.

          > 2) What type of aspects aren't well represented?

          Seem pretty balanced to me; a few of each kind are there (as I see it)

          > 3) Would a "More Aspects" section following this, that's just a list
          > and perhaps a single line of descrioption (like the skills) be useful?

          It is helpful. Thanks for including it.

          > 4) Is the format helpful, or is each writeup too big (or too small?)

          The format is helpful. It might be helpful to actually include *how*
          the GM might invoke the aspect; an actual 'in play' example: FREX --

          Strong: Break stuff!

          Player: I carefully pick up the wyvern egg.

          GM: You're too strong to do that delicately, and you crack it (slides
          one FP token toward player)

          Player: I'm sure that I can do it, I've handled delicate things before
          and not crushed them. (player refuses GM's token and instead gives one
          of his own to the GM)

          > 5) Do the aspects listed work?

          Yes.

          Thanks,