Re: [FateRPG] Slightly OT - Pulp Fiction

  • Jon Moyer
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 2, 2006
      As a follow up to my post, this web page has some covers of the pulps:

      http://www.spiritone.com/~maxpax/pulp.htm

      Jon Moyer <doombringer333@...> wrote:
      I'm fond of this website:

      http://www.fantasyl ibrary.com/ lounge/pulpaveng ers.htm

      It really helped me understand was "pulp" was, and how to incorporate it in a game.

      Thomas Cackler <thomas@northwoodsga mes.com> wrote:
      No, this is not about the movie...

      With the upcoming release of SotC, I'll confess I'm not sure what
      everyone means with the term 'pulp'. Could someone help me out and
      give me some authors or examples of what 'pulp' means?

      Thanks!

      Thomas

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • James Husum
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 6, 2006
        Greetings,

        You may want to check out John Olsen's site. He has a list of reviews of all the Shadow novels that came out in the pulps. If nothing else they might simulate some adventure ideas.

        http://www.spaceports.com/~deshadow/

        --
        James Husum
        The Quixote Project - one guy's quest to make the world a better place - http://www.thequixoteproject.org/
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 6, 2006
          Hi all,

          Just thought I would point to an interesting article on writing pulp novels. I have been a big fan of reading Doc Savage books growing up. It was interesting reading the author's take on how to write books like that.  :)

          Seeya,
          Jim

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 6, 2006
            Heh. In fact, we dig Dent's article so much that it was taken as
            inspiration for one of the three adventure design toolkits in the
            book (though we had to generalize a bit and branch out from exotic
            murders).

            So, yeah, if you're a pulp GM, the article is very near mandatory
            reading, to my mind.

            -Rob D.

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 12, 2006
              Greetings,

              This reminds me of Raymond Chandler's gem of writing wisdom:

              'When in doubt, have two guys come through the door with guns blazing.'

            • Harald Wagener
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 13, 2006
                Am 12.08.2006 um 13:51 schrieb James Husum:

                > Greetings,
                >
                > This reminds me of Raymond Chandler's gem of writing wisdom:
                >
                > 'When in doubt, have two guys come through the door with guns
                > blazing.'

                Don't forget though, that this is easier to do for a book author than
                for a gm. It's way harder to make sense of initially random violence
                when you have to take care of the input of a gaming group.

                Although I follow the original sentiment of Chandler's action plan, I
                think it needs to be redone for RPG applicability.

                "When in doubt, confront the players with something in play they
                cannot ignore." is the base form, but loses some of the instructive
                feel the original quote has.

                Regards,
                Harald
              • tquidca@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 13, 2006
                  Just do defend Chandler here, he said to have someone walk through the door with a gun. Not with "guns blazing." This is what we Forge nerds call a "bang"--as you say, something the PCs cannot ignore. The difference is that a bang forces a decision but leaves open what that decision can be--if someone walks in guns blazing, really the players only have one rational choice: defend their lives. If someone comes in with a gun but not blazing away, there are a number of possibilities, like talking, deception, having the PCs cue each other for some kind of clever battle plan, etc. Even better is if you know that someone's motives, which should involve wanting something from the PCs--something to do, ideally, with one or more of their Aspects. Then, you're cooking with gas.

                  --JB

                  On 8/13/06, Harald Wagener <faterpg@...> wrote:

                  Am 12.08.2006 um 13:51 schrieb James Husum:

                  > Greetings,
                  >
                  > This reminds me of Raymond Chandler's gem of writing wisdom:
                  >
                  > 'When in doubt, have two guys come through the door with guns
                  > blazing.'

                  Don't forget though, that this is easier to do for a book author than
                  for a gm. It's way harder to make sense of initially random violence
                  when you have to take care of the input of a gaming group.

                  Although I follow the original sentiment of Chandler's action plan, I
                  think it needs to be redone for RPG applicability.

                  "When in doubt, confront the players with something in play they
                  cannot ignore." is the base form, but loses some of the instructive
                  feel the original quote has.

                  Regards,
                  Harald

                • Bill Burdick
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 13, 2006
                    Heh, I just used this very technique last session. It's pretty easy
                    with my group. They departed from my flow by deciding to check back
                    in on one of the suspicious characters. They decided to stake out his
                    house, so I had two SUVs full of commandoes pull up for an impromptu
                    prep session in the basement. In my experience, loosely defined
                    stories have been working really well (c.f.
                    that framework, it's easy to depart from the story and then join up
                    with it later.

                    Bill

                    --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Harald Wagener <faterpg@...> wrote:

                    > Am 12.08.2006 um 13:51 schrieb James Husum:
                    >
                    > > Greetings,
                    > >
                    > > This reminds me of Raymond Chandler's gem of writing wisdom:
                    > >
                    > > 'When in doubt, have two guys come through the door with guns
                    > > blazing.'
                    > >

                    > Don't forget though, that this is easier to do for a book author than
                    > for a gm. It's way harder to make sense of initially random violence
                    > when you have to take care of the input of a gaming group.
                    >
                    > Although I follow the original sentiment of Chandler's action plan, I
                    > think it needs to be redone for RPG applicability.
                    >
                    > "When in doubt, confront the players with something in play they
                    > cannot ignore." is the base form, but loses some of the instructive
                    > feel the original quote has.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > Harald

                  • Jim Dickinson
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 13, 2006
                      I remember the advice from the one of the original Champions books (I think Champions II, which was also included in the BBB {big blue book} for later editions).

                      Their quote was: "When in doubt, complicate matters."

                      They offered several examples of how they made the adventure even more complicated by adding little twists and tweaks that drew the players in even more. It was a great article for its time, and is probably still a good read.  :)

                      Jim

                      On 8/13/06, Harald Wagener <faterpg@mausdompteu r.de> wrote:

                      Am 12.08.2006 um 13:51 schrieb James Husum:

                      > Greetings,
                      >
                      > This reminds me of Raymond Chandler's gem of writing wisdom:
                      >
                      > 'When in doubt, have two guys come through the door with guns
                      > blazing.'

                      Don't forget though, that this is easier to do for a book author than
                      for a gm. It's way harder to make sense of initially random violence
                      when you have to take care of the input of a gaming group.

                      Although I follow the original sentiment of Chandler's action plan, I
                      think it needs to be redone for RPG applicability.

                      "When in doubt, confront the players with something in play they
                      cannot ignore." is the base form, but loses some of the instructive
                      feel the original quote has.

                      Regards,
                      Harald

                    • Darren Smith
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 14, 2006
                        > Their quote was: "When in doubt, complicate
                        > matters."

                        And if you have players like mine, they seem to have
                        no trouble complicating things for themselves...

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Matt Whiteacre
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 14, 2006
                          At 09:40 AM 8/14/2006 -0400, you wrote:

                          > > Their quote was: "When in doubt, complicate
                          > > matters."
                          >
                          >And if you have players like mine, they seem to have
                          >no trouble complicating things for themselves...

                          It sounds like you have my players in your group.