Re: [FateRPG] Re: Spirit/FATE 3e rules: incapacitating/grappling attacks

  • Renato
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 14, 2006
      On 7/13/06, john_e_bogart <j.bogart@...> wrote:

      > If you want an resistance roll, what skill would you use? It seems
      > to me like most skills are active and none of them really work for
      > passive resistance. In most systems, Stamina, Resolve, Willpower,
      > etc., would be attributes. How would you handle it in FATE?

      IMO in FATE there is not really any need to differentiate between
      attributes and skills: you can well have skills like "strength",
      "toughness", "pain resistance", "mind resistance" and so on. And you
      can complement them with aspects like "Tough as a rock" or "Blessed by
      the gods" (to resist maledictions, for examples), that you can
      activate to get the bonus to the dice roll.

      It all depends on your genre and settings. For example I am adapting
      Fading Suns to FATE, and I think I will keep the skill list pretty
      much as it is. There, you have a skill named "Stoic Mind" that you can
      use to resist PSI mind attacks and the like.

      --
      Renato Ramonda