Re: Spirit/FATE 3e rules: incapacitating/grappling attacks

  • john_e_bogart
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 13, 2006
      Hi all,

      This is my first time posting here (I think--I tried to send a
      message to the group almost a week ago, but I don't think it
      worked). I found FATE just over a week ago, so I haven't had a
      chance to play it yet, but I'm already working on setting up a game.
      I am very impressed and excited by the FATE system.

      (As an aside, I also bought "Don't Rest Your Head" and I really liked
      that, too.)

      -----

      Back on topic, the below reply by Rob mentions a body (or whatever)
      check. Like I mentioned above, I've been reading the FATE rules, but
      I haven't played yet, and "resistance" is something I've been trying
      to get my head around. How does everyone else handle attempts to
      resist (whether it be mind-control, poison, or whatever)?

      From what I've read, it seems like there are basically two options:

      1) Make a roll to resist, or
      2) Add a temporary Aspect

      If you want an resistance roll, what skill would you use? It seems
      to me like most skills are active and none of them really work for
      passive resistance. In most systems, Stamina, Resolve, Willpower,
      etc., would be attributes. How would you handle it in FATE? Rob's
      example below mentions a "body (or whatever) check". Do others of
      you have one or more "resistance" skills (like "body" or "will")? Do
      you give everyone a base resistance (Average, I'd suppose), and only
      use appropriate Aspects to reflect that some people are tougher than
      others?

      The other option seems to be using temporary aspects to handle many
      of these situations, rather than using any type of resistance roll.

      First, tell me if I'm understanding this right: Let's say a vampire
      uses some form of mind dominating power on a player. Now the player
      gains a temporary Aspect called something like "Dominated by Vampire
      X". The next turn the vampire tells the player to turn on the other
      players and attack them (or whatever). That's an involuntary
      invocation of the temporary Aspect, so the player can either give in
      (and gain Fate Points) or else heroically resist (by spending Fate
      Points). The player might face the same choice each round until the
      Aspect is removed (e.g., vampire is killed, the effect ends, or he
      successfully overcomes the domination completely).

      In effect, it leaves the choice up to the players, but the
      involuntary invocation system of gaining or spending Fate Points adds
      drama and tension to the player's choice?

      I suppose temporary Aspects could be done for any resistance
      situation, though it seems better suited for some situations than
      others. For example, a poison that means dropping into a coma works
      well with Aspects, but some types of poison should probably cause
      damage. The normal FATE rules could easily handle this as an
      extended challenge to overcome the poison, but that comes back to the
      question of what skill to use.

      Thanks in advance for your responses.

      =======
      John B.

      >...I'll stick to a normal incapacitating attack, which would go
      >something like this:
      >
      >1. Frank rolls attack, target rolls defense.
      >a. If target wins, no effect.
      >b. if target loses, they musty make a body (or whatever) check.
      >2. The difficulty of the body check is poor + (the amount frank won
      >by).
      >That said, were I doing it myself, I'd be slapping a "Frozen with
      >fear" (or whatever) aspect on the targets and call it a day. Mooks
      >won't pay FP to break free, so it works great on them, and named
      >characters generally get to dramatically break free.
      >
      >-Rob D.
    • Renato
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 14, 2006
        On 7/13/06, john_e_bogart <j.bogart@...> wrote:

        > If you want an resistance roll, what skill would you use? It seems
        > to me like most skills are active and none of them really work for
        > passive resistance. In most systems, Stamina, Resolve, Willpower,
        > etc., would be attributes. How would you handle it in FATE?

        IMO in FATE there is not really any need to differentiate between
        attributes and skills: you can well have skills like "strength",
        "toughness", "pain resistance", "mind resistance" and so on. And you
        can complement them with aspects like "Tough as a rock" or "Blessed by
        the gods" (to resist maledictions, for examples), that you can
        activate to get the bonus to the dice roll.

        It all depends on your genre and settings. For example I am adapting
        Fading Suns to FATE, and I think I will keep the skill list pretty
        much as it is. There, you have a skill named "Stoic Mind" that you can
        use to resist PSI mind attacks and the like.

        --
        Renato Ramonda