Evil Hat - Wiki

    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 14, 2006
      I'm currently looking at installing a MediaWiki on the
      Evil Hat site, with the intention of using it as one of
      several strategies (the web forum thing still being in the
      'under consideration, but not committed' column) to expand
      the general support that the Evil Hat site itself offers
      to the community.

      Rob's idea of "training wheels" struck me as a solid basis for
      a general community project -- list your favorite aspects and
      examples of how they're used.

      So, here it is:

      http://www.evilhat.com/wiki/index.php/Aspect_Examples

      Please feel free to create yourself an account and add in
      examples of your own. Let's make this one kick ass!

      (I've snagged Rob's two examples as starting entries)

      --
      Fred Hicks * "Curse you iago and your fast fingers!" - Rob Donoghue
      Co-Author of Fate - Author of Pace - Jim-Butcher.Com Webmaster - Weirdo
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 15, 2006
        Fred Hicks wrote:

        > Rob's idea of "training wheels" struck me as a solid basis for
        > a general community project -- list your favorite aspects and
        > examples of how they're used.
        >
        > So, here it is:
        >
        > http://www.evilhat.com/wiki/index.php/Aspect_Examples
        >
        > Please feel free to create yourself an account and add in
        > examples of your own. Let's make this one kick ass!
        >
        > (I've snagged Rob's two examples as starting entries)

        Wow... that's an endorsement and a half! Thanks very much, everyone,
        for all the positive feedback :)

        I'll add some of the others I have (although I picked what I thought
        were the best two for my post) a bit later on... at the moment, I'm
        trying to get all the characters for the prelude game I'm going to run
        written up and complete.

        I love Fate and the freedom it gives you to create the character you
        want, but for the GM it's quite a challenge creating pre-generated
        characters; coming up with five interesting aspects for five different
        PCs is proving tricky in some cases (not to mention getting all the
        ideas that are in my head for their back-stories and relationships down
        into a single page in-character summary). Oh well, I guess it's all
        good practice for future GMing (although I guess my NPCs will have only
        as many aspects as I think flesh them out appropriately, rather than all
        having to have a fixed number, so that'll be easier).

        So, shouldn't the example aspects from the end of the Fate 2.0 rulebook
        be added to the Aspect Examples wiki pages? That's where I got the
        format I used of description / invoke to / compels might (although it
        was phrased differently back then).

        --
        Have fun,
        Rob Rendell.
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 15, 2006
          On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 20:52:40 +0200, Fred Hicks <iago@...> wrote:
          > http://www.evilhat.com/wiki/index.php/Aspect_Examples
          >
          > Please feel free to create yourself an account and add in
          > examples of your own. Let's make this one kick ass!
          >
          > (I've snagged Rob's two examples as starting entries)

          I'm in the process of uploading one or two...

          Darren
        • Rob Rendell
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 30, 2006
            Well, the training wheels went down well with the players :)

            The first session went very well; everyone liked both the game and the
            system. We'd previously played about half-a-dozen sessions of Fudge
            with one of the other guys GMing, and his comment after the session was
            that he was more comfortable with Fate after one session than he was
            with Fudge after all the sessions we played of his game.

            If people want to look at the finished characters, I've put them up here:

            http://members.optusnet.com.au/~m_rendell/fatechars.html

            The pages are formatted so it should come out to one character sheet or
            background per page when printed, at least in my browser and with my
            settings... they're not the prettiest on-screen.

            I somewhat abused the term "extra" on the charsheets to cover just about
            everything outside the characters... place of residence, relatives of
            minor note, cars. There weren't actually paid-for-with-skill-points
            extras, but I thought it would help frame the characters better, and
            would make formal Fate Extras easier to get their heads around later.

            Also, in case you're wondering, the 6th character sheet at the end is
            the 1st one with one of her aspects changed, which I was hoping to do in
            response to the characters doing certain things in-game; the aim of this
            one-shot was/is to introduce the players to both the setting and the
            system, and one thing I wanted to demonstrate was that Fate aspects
            aren't immutable, but can change in response to the story (or during
            down-time, for that matter, but I can just tell them that when we start
            the long-term game).

            I'm not sure about just importing all the aspect examples I've done
            wholesale into the Evil Hat wiki... some of them are quite specific to
            either the setting or the individual characters. Salvatore, for
            example, has the aspect "paranoid", but the specific slant of that
            paranoia is that he believes there are supernatural monsters lurking in
            human form everywhere, which is not what you'd generally expect from an
            aspect of Paranoid.

            (I couldn't resist... after giving him the aspect of "paranoid", I had
            to make the next two "little" and "weirdo", from a comedy skit I heard
            once: "I was walking down the street the other day, when a man hammering
            on his roof called me a paranoid little weirdo... in morse code.")

            --
            Have fun,
            Rob Rendell.
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 30, 2006
              Rob Rendell wrote:
              > I'm not sure about just importing all the aspect examples I've done
              > wholesale into the Evil Hat wiki... some of them are quite specific to
              > either the setting or the individual characters.

              What the hey, I decided to go ahead and put them in anyway. I've made
              some of them more generic, and others I've left intact but put a note at
              the top of the page saying "The details are setting-specific; here is
              one example" or words to that effect.

              --
              Have fun,
              Rob Rendell.