Extras in FATE?

  • David Quick
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 8, 2006
      So I have to admit that FATE is the first RPG in some time to capture
      my attention in any substantive way. Congrats on a magnificent work!

      Skills are pretty straight forward, and Aspects atually make quite a
      lot of sense. My issue is that I'm trying to wrap my head around the
      'Extras' and how they actually are built and then used in game play.
      So, if someone would be good enough to show me how FATE would actually
      flesh out the following, and then how they would be handled
      (mechanically) in a game, I'd appreciate it. I'm most interested in
      the nuts and bolts of extras during character creation, and then in play.

      - Excalibur, sword of kings
      - Powered battlearmor, invention of mad scientist pc
      - Alfred, butler/confidente to caped crusader
      - The Shiv, underworld contact and fence for Pc

      Any other examples that folks want to toss into the pot would of
      course be appreciated!

      Thanks,
      David
    • James Pacek
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 8, 2006
        On Feb 8, 2006, at 9:11 AM, David Quick wrote:
        - Excalibur, sword of kings
        - Powered battlearmor, invention of mad scientist pc
        - Alfred, butler/confidente to caped crusader
        - The Shiv, underworld contact and fence for Pc

        The way I would handle these are as follows.

        IMHO three of these are important enough that they would get aspects in my game.

        Perhaps,

        Excalibur, sword of Kings [][]
        BattleArmor [] and
        Alfred []

        The player could then decide to invest skill levels in each to give them their own aspects, or they would be fine as is.

        One player might, for 3 skill points each:

        Excalibur (Razor Sharp [], The Lady of the Lake [], Awe Inspiring [])
        BattleArmor (Near Invulnerable [], Sensors [], Jet Assisted []) and
        Alfred (Loyal [][], Reliable []) -- Alfred might even warrant a skill pyramid of his own based on these...

        I let the hero invoke these smaller aspects to use the power/attribute described.

        As for Shiv, I might just let the character take him as a skill.  If the campaign is in the city, his use would be pretty straight forward.  If he was local to a site and the character couldn't use him much, I might suggest a broader "Underworld Contacts" skill.

        YMMV

        Thanks,

        _______________________

        Jim Pacek

        wilmanric@...

      • spiffyz
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 8, 2006
          --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "David Quick" <village6@...> wrote:

          > So I have to admit that FATE is the first RPG in some time to capture
          > my attention in any substantive way. Congrats on a magnificent work!
          >
          > Skills are pretty straight forward, and Aspects atually make quite a
          > lot of sense. My issue is that I'm trying to wrap my head around the
          > 'Extras' and how they actually are built and then used in game play.
          > So, if someone would be good enough to show me how FATE would actually
          > flesh out the following, and then how they would be handled
          > (mechanically) in a game, I'd appreciate it. I'm most interested in
          > the nuts and bolts of extras during character creation, and then in
          play.

          > - Excalibur, sword of kings
          > - Powered battlearmor, invention of mad scientist pc
          > - Alfred, butler/confidente to caped crusader
          > - The Shiv, underworld contact and fence for Pc
          >
          > Any other examples that folks want to toss into the pot would of
          > course be appreciated!
          >
          > Thanks,
          > David

          In the group I usualy run with we seperate aspects from extras in this
          way. The bonuses that come from checking an aspect are narative in
          nature while the static bonuses offered by aspects are numerical in
          nature and work just like a skill.

          The idea behind this is that when you spend a point you get a +1 on
          rolls falling under a certain set of circumstances. The only diference
          between getting lockpicking at +1 and having a set of superior picks
          that grant +1 is almost purely semantic. So a sword extra gives you +1
          when using that sword a minion extra gives you +1 when there is
          assistance from the minnion of an apropriate type etc...

          So take the above example of Excalibur. That is obviously important
          enough for the character to have an aspect in it, but this method
          states tha bonuses from aspects are narative so in the case of
          Excalibur it could be checked to prove you are the rightfull king or
          gain a bonus in combat due to familiarity of the weapon or
          intimidation by the weapon etc. But lets say you wanted Excalibur to
          be of such a superior and magical quality that it is even beter to
          fight with than a regular sword, much more so than checking the aspect
          would alow so you spend a point on an extra to get the +1 when using it.

          Just an example of how I do it.
        • ShootinGuy
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 14, 2006
            --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "spiffyz" <dna.french@...> wrote:

            > --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "David Quick" <village6@> wrote:
            > >
            > > So I have to admit that FATE is the first RPG in some time to capture
            > > my attention in any substantive way. Congrats on a magnificent work!
            > >
            > > Skills are pretty straight forward, and Aspects atually make quite a
            > > lot of sense. My issue is that I'm trying to wrap my head around the
            > > 'Extras' and how they actually are built and then used in game play.
            > > So, if someone would be good enough to show me how FATE would actually
            > > flesh out the following, and then how they would be handled
            > > (mechanically) in a game, I'd appreciate it. I'm most interested in
            > > the nuts and bolts of extras during character creation, and then in
            > play.
            > >
            > > - Excalibur, sword of kings
            > > - Powered battlearmor, invention of mad scientist pc
            > > - Alfred, butler/confidente to caped crusader
            > > - The Shiv, underworld contact and fence for Pc
            > >
            > > Any other examples that folks want to toss into the pot would of
            > > course be appreciated!
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > David
            > >

            > In the group I usualy run with we seperate aspects from extras in this
            > way. The bonuses that come from checking an aspect are narative in
            > nature while the static bonuses offered by aspects are numerical in
            > nature and work just like a skill.
            >

            > The idea behind this is that when you spend a point you get a +1 on
            > rolls falling under a certain set of circumstances. The only diference
            > between getting lockpicking at +1 and having a set of superior picks
            > that grant +1 is almost purely semantic. So a sword extra gives you +1
            > when using that sword a minion extra gives you +1 when there is
            > assistance from the minnion of an apropriate type etc...
            >
            > So take the above example of Excalibur. That is obviously important
            > enough for the character to have an aspect in it, but this method
            > states tha bonuses from aspects are narative so in the case of
            > Excalibur it could be checked to prove you are the rightfull king or
            > gain a bonus in combat due to familiarity of the weapon or
            > intimidation by the weapon etc. But lets say you wanted Excalibur to
            > be of such a superior and magical quality that it is even beter to
            > fight with than a regular sword, much more so than checking the aspect
            > would alow so you spend a point on an extra to get the +1 when using it.
            >
            > Just an example of how I do it.

            Hi there, sorry to drop in just like this in the subject, but it's a
            matter that is of my concern too...
            My doubt is a simple one... the book says that "aspecting" an extra
            (specially a "prop extra") allows you to risk it and have the object
            available to you, or give you FP back when having it in hands is not
            possible (like, your sword was taken when they brought you in jail),
            and also it says that you may never really lose that extra, since it's
            an Aspect ("the more skill points you spend on an extra, the better is
            to make it an Aspect", or something like that), alright... but what if
            a character spends a skill point on an extra, but /doesn't/ Aspect it?
            If lost, it'd be a wasted skill point? I've been thinking about
            considering skill points spent in such way as an "equipment pool" or
            something like that, but I have no other ideas of what else could be
            done... has anyone also stumbled on this matter?

            Thanks for your attention, sorry, once more, for dropping in just like
            that, and please forgive any typos and such, it's been a while since
            last time I wrote anything in English ^.^

            Regards,
            Fellipe Gustavo
          • James Pacek
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 14, 2006

              On Feb 14, 2006, at 8:36 AM, ShootinGuy wrote:

              but what if

              a character spends a skill point on an extra, but /doesn't/ Aspect it?

              If lost, it'd be a wasted skill point? I've been thinking about

              considering skill points spent in such way as an "equipment pool" or

              something like that, but I have no other ideas of what else could be

              done... has anyone also stumbled on this matter?

              The way this works (for me) is:  If you spend a skill point on, say, "Custom Lockpicks (Concealable)" and they get taken away during an adventure.  Too bad.  You can lose them too, or trade them, or what have you.

              Next adventure, you get a new one; you've obtained it somehow.  That's that.  It can be lost, broken, stolen, whatever.

              If you're deprived of it, you don't get Fate points, but it is a way of starting with, and consistently having, special equipment of a more mundane nature.

              YMMV.

              Thanks,

              Jim Pacek

              wilmanric@...

            • Gordon McDonald
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 15, 2006
                The other way to handle this is if they lose it they get that skill point back at the end of the adventure. They can either spend it on the equipment again, or move it somewhere else if it doesn't seem appropriate to get it back. You could also decide to save that skill point untill you could possibly aquire the item again if the GM was willing.