Re: Race

  • Adrian Price
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 17, 2006
      --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "cjnodell" <cjnodell@y...> wrote:

      > In many fantasy worlds, the other races (such as halflings, dwarves,
      > orca, goblins or elves) have racial advantages. for example i often
      > feel that indvidual races tend to have natural abilities that seperate
      > them from humans, for example some races have night vision, such as
      > elves, goblins and dwarves. The only way that i feel that i can ensure
      > consistancy in such a senerio is to have racial aspect packages.
      >
      > For example, if a character wants to be an elf, then he/she should
      > have at least one rank in the elf aspect. in addition, the first time
      > a person picks the elven aspect they gain the night vision extra and
      > three skill picks. there will be no further mandatory picks for the
      > elven character, and no requirement fo them to take aditional elven
      > aspects unless the character wants to focus on the elfness of thier
      > character. Dose this sound reasonable?

      FATE's flexible enough that's it completely up to you. If you do go
      down this road, however, you could look at what makes humans special
      in your setting.

      For example, while an elf might use their aspect for night vision,
      maybe a human can tap into a raw survival instinct not found in the
      other races? I mean humans are usually the dominant race in most
      fantasy settings. How did they get there? What sets humanity apart
      from the elves and dwarves, etc. So instead of using humanity as a
      neutral base you could give every character a racial aspect and use it
      to give everyone typical advantages and disadvantages for their kind.

      If you don't like the idea of giving humans 'survival grit' or
      something like that, their aspect could be used to fit in with the
      human norms of society - maybe a group of a dwarf and an elf turn up
      in a village looking for a bed for the night. None of the human
      villagers trust them, but then their human companion joins them and
      can use his Human aspect to help convince the villagers that his mates
      are okay.

      Adrian
    • cjnodell
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 17, 2006
        I agree that humans should also have benifits. I was going more for a,
        since i do not have to select an racial aspect, I can therefore select
        another and NOT have required picks made for me, like the elves night
        vision. This would make humans more diverse, but only a bit. I have to
        agree that the human aspect has its draw.

        I gues i am just having a hard time finding a way to define the
        diferent races consistantly. If i where to go with a all human game,
        i would have fewer no problems concerning races (which primarialy
        means consistant abilities among a given race) and scale (how would i
        work things with a halfling). I am 100% confident that fate can handle
        all this, and am having some ideas on my own, but would like to hear
        how others have adapted fate to fantasy settings.

        Charles
      • dicework
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 17, 2006
          > For one, in my opinion, either you are
          > an elf or not, one can not be more elf
          > that another. at the same time
          > i think that it is possible for a person
          > to focus more on the elfness of thire character
          > and there for have more ranks in elf.

          Then you'll be glad to know that the upcoming Fate version will solve
          this in a elegant manner. The main idea is that aspects have no more
          level attached to them. But you have a common pool of aspect boxes you
          can use at your own discretion. This way, no elf is more of an elf
          than another elf (doh!), but they can focus on their elvishness as
          much as they wish to. [*]

          As for the racial (dis)advantages, I can imagine a number of
          possibilities. First, some skills may only be avaible to player having
          bought a specific racial skill like, say, night-vision. Second, you
          may buy more specific aspects like, errrr, night-vision. But, as you
          mentioned it, FATE is more of a narration-oriented rpg. Thus, I think
          I'd choose another method. The only thing you have to take during
          character generation is the racial aspect, everything else happens at
          runtime. You can check one box every time this aspect may help you and
          you describe why. So if you're a Green Elf and that you need to hunt a
          burglar at night through a forest of pine, you can check one box and
          relate how you can see through the dark, or how the pines guide you
          thanks to a special bound you share with them.

          The idea of a common pool for aspects is really growing on me...
          Simple, flexible and great results.

          -Elvish Parsley-

          [*] More infos to be found in previous messages... Dig for Rob and
          Landon posts in the last monthes.