Re: Race

  • cjnodell
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 16, 2006
      I really like the narative and dramatic focus of FATE. So i have been
      trying to think in terms of books when creating characters, pc or npc.
      Basicly, if a character has an aspect, it would be somthing the author
      would use to focus on in the book, either to the character advantage
      or disadvantage. I have found that in most fantasy books i have read,
      that when the character is human, unless the books focus is on another
      race, little or nothing is said about thier race. However every
      character who is of another race, then much mor common for it to play
      a role in the naration. For example when a main character meets a
      person of another race, it is noted in the naration. Often when the
      character of another race gets in a bad situation, they tend to invoke
      thier "elfness" or what ever race they are to help them out.

      I think i am leaning twoards racial aspects in that respect, but am
      against it for other reasons. For one, in my opinion, either you are
      an elf or not, one can not be more elf that another. at the same time
      i think that it is possible for a person to focus more on the elfness
      of thire character and there for have more ranks in elf.

      In many fantasy worlds, the other races (such as halflings, dwarves,
      orca, goblins or elves) have racial advantages. for example i often
      feel that indvidual races tend to have natural abilities that seperate
      them from humans, for example some races have night vision, such as
      elves, goblins and dwarves. The only way that i feel that i can ensure
      consistancy in such a senerio is to have racial aspect packages.

      For example, if a character wants to be an elf, then he/she should
      have at least one rank in the elf aspect. in addition, the first time
      a person picks the elven aspect they gain the night vision extra and
      three skill picks. there will be no further mandatory picks for the
      elven character, and no requirement fo them to take aditional elven
      aspects unless the character wants to focus on the elfness of thier
      character. Dose this sound reasonable?
    • Adrian Price
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 17, 2006
        --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "cjnodell" <cjnodell@y...> wrote:

        > In many fantasy worlds, the other races (such as halflings, dwarves,
        > orca, goblins or elves) have racial advantages. for example i often
        > feel that indvidual races tend to have natural abilities that seperate
        > them from humans, for example some races have night vision, such as
        > elves, goblins and dwarves. The only way that i feel that i can ensure
        > consistancy in such a senerio is to have racial aspect packages.
        >
        > For example, if a character wants to be an elf, then he/she should
        > have at least one rank in the elf aspect. in addition, the first time
        > a person picks the elven aspect they gain the night vision extra and
        > three skill picks. there will be no further mandatory picks for the
        > elven character, and no requirement fo them to take aditional elven
        > aspects unless the character wants to focus on the elfness of thier
        > character. Dose this sound reasonable?

        FATE's flexible enough that's it completely up to you. If you do go
        down this road, however, you could look at what makes humans special
        in your setting.

        For example, while an elf might use their aspect for night vision,
        maybe a human can tap into a raw survival instinct not found in the
        other races? I mean humans are usually the dominant race in most
        fantasy settings. How did they get there? What sets humanity apart
        from the elves and dwarves, etc. So instead of using humanity as a
        neutral base you could give every character a racial aspect and use it
        to give everyone typical advantages and disadvantages for their kind.

        If you don't like the idea of giving humans 'survival grit' or
        something like that, their aspect could be used to fit in with the
        human norms of society - maybe a group of a dwarf and an elf turn up
        in a village looking for a bed for the night. None of the human
        villagers trust them, but then their human companion joins them and
        can use his Human aspect to help convince the villagers that his mates
        are okay.

        Adrian
      • cjnodell
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 17, 2006
          I agree that humans should also have benifits. I was going more for a,
          since i do not have to select an racial aspect, I can therefore select
          another and NOT have required picks made for me, like the elves night
          vision. This would make humans more diverse, but only a bit. I have to
          agree that the human aspect has its draw.

          I gues i am just having a hard time finding a way to define the
          diferent races consistantly. If i where to go with a all human game,
          i would have fewer no problems concerning races (which primarialy
          means consistant abilities among a given race) and scale (how would i
          work things with a halfling). I am 100% confident that fate can handle
          all this, and am having some ideas on my own, but would like to hear
          how others have adapted fate to fantasy settings.

          Charles
        • dicework
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 17, 2006
            > For one, in my opinion, either you are
            > an elf or not, one can not be more elf
            > that another. at the same time
            > i think that it is possible for a person
            > to focus more on the elfness of thire character
            > and there for have more ranks in elf.

            Then you'll be glad to know that the upcoming Fate version will solve
            this in a elegant manner. The main idea is that aspects have no more
            level attached to them. But you have a common pool of aspect boxes you
            can use at your own discretion. This way, no elf is more of an elf
            than another elf (doh!), but they can focus on their elvishness as
            much as they wish to. [*]

            As for the racial (dis)advantages, I can imagine a number of
            possibilities. First, some skills may only be avaible to player having
            bought a specific racial skill like, say, night-vision. Second, you
            may buy more specific aspects like, errrr, night-vision. But, as you
            mentioned it, FATE is more of a narration-oriented rpg. Thus, I think
            I'd choose another method. The only thing you have to take during
            character generation is the racial aspect, everything else happens at
            runtime. You can check one box every time this aspect may help you and
            you describe why. So if you're a Green Elf and that you need to hunt a
            burglar at night through a forest of pine, you can check one box and
            relate how you can see through the dark, or how the pines guide you
            thanks to a special bound you share with them.

            The idea of a common pool for aspects is really growing on me...
            Simple, flexible and great results.

            -Elvish Parsley-

            [*] More infos to be found in previous messages... Dig for Rob and
            Landon posts in the last monthes.