Re: [FateRPG] A question of Style

  • Ben
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 7 3:04 AM
      I vote for two columns and black and white only (as it is now in fact). On
      a more cosmetic note, some subtle header and footer graphics might look
      good. :)

      Ben

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 7 5:14 AM
        I don't care much if it's colored or not. As far 2 columns vs 1 column, couldn't you make 2 versions? One for viewing on a computer screen, the other for printing out.

        JOn
      • Ed Heil
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 7 8:32 AM
          Would I really make myself unpopular if, as my first message to the
          group, I said "the layout change I would recommend is removing
          'Average' and going back to the original FUDGE adjective ladder"? :)

          Oh, wait, that's not a layout change....

          Seriously, hello, good to meet y'all, I discovered FATE recently and
          really like it. I've always had a soft spot for FUDGE, since I was
          around on rec.games.frp.design when SOS was putting it together, but
          haven't played it in a long time; I've been more interested in more
          "narrativistic" games of the sort you find on www.indie-rpgs.com.
          FATE interests me cause it's like some kind of mutant interbreed
          between the two. And it has way cool creation rules, and since I do a
          lot more dorking around creating characters and whatnot than I ever do
          playing, that's important. :)

          Ed

          P.S. I think that PDFs are all about printing, if you're going to make
          a PDF, unless you want to do a really radical overhaul and give it
          landscape layout and all that, you should think about how it will look
          good printed, not on screen. If you want it to look good onscreen you
          need to do a different version than the print version. Hence, I vote
          2 columns on the main version. :)

          --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" <r_donoghue@y...> wrote:
          > So here's a faintly random question for y'all.
          >
          > The layout for Fate is pretty utilitarian, adn while I'm happy with
          > it, I'm curiou sif there are any concerns that have come up. As
          > we've mentioned, we're working on the new and improved version, and
          > it's a good time to consider whether or not layout changes are in
          > order.

        • Darren Hill
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 11 1:08 PM
            From: "Claire Engel" <dicework@...>
            > As Tobias Oetiker suggests [1], if it's easily
            > readable and understandable, I don't really care. But,
            > if you want a not too long (in number of pages)
            > document, I suggest to keep the two columns layout to
            > avoid too long line length.
            >

            > PS: Great job Darren!

            Thanks :)
            Due to the subject, I am wondering if that is a reference to content or
            layout (my guess is content, 'cos I think the document's pretty ugly, but
            you never know).

            Darren