Re: [FateRPG] Twists applied to fantasy races and magic.

  • Sarah Wolfie
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
      On 8/31/05, Persephone Imytholin <imytholin@...> wrote:
      > Tiefers don't have quite that much fiend in them. Maybe a more general
      > aspect for Planetouched could cover it, to be padded out with stunts
      > and skills.

      True. It's more far back in the ancestry. Actually, you know what?
      I'm dumping this idea and simply doing one aspect for race.

      Xanxost who? :)

      Any suggestions on keying the schools to something easier to use with
      plane spell keys and such?
      --
      Sarah Wolfie
    • Persephone Imytholin
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
        On 01/09/05, Sarah Wolfie <sarahwolfie@...> wrote:

        > True. It's more far back in the ancestry. Actually, you know what?
        > I'm dumping this idea and simply doing one aspect for race.

        *nods* Much nicer.

        > Xanxost who? :)

        Xanxost the Slaadi, of course.

        > Any suggestions on keying the schools to something easier to use with
        > plane spell keys and such?

        Use the Planes themselves, perhaps? Spell keys will be easy enough,
        but if you organise spells around the wat the Planes work then you'll
        be a few steps ahead. Spells that affect Things can probably be based
        around elements; that gives you your Elemental Planes right there, and
        you can mix for the Para- and Quasi-elementals as desired. Beyond
        that, you can use the natures of the Outer Planes to decide on labels,
        and organise things like that. Remember that you can play with the
        transitive planes, too; the Astral and Ethereal can be very fun, and
        can come up with some unfriendly surprises if you treat the planes
        like in PS2E (though I really should talk up PS3E. Oh well. :) ).

        Another thought that occurs to me is that belief is power; you can use
        this with FPs for an extra bit of narrative flavour. And you could
        probably even let players invoke things like the Rule of Threes, Unity
        of Rings and Centre of All, in special circumstances.
      • Loic Prot
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 3, 2005
          Darren Smith said:

          > So if you want your elfishness to be an
          >important part of the story, take another rank in it
          >and if not, don't.

          I was about to suggest just that. I'm currently working on an hypothetic Fate adaptation of GURPS TransHumanSpace, where "races" (genetic manipulations, AIs, etc...) are extremely variable and very detailled. My solution so far is: instead of granting detailled aspects or stunts for each specific racial ability, I just go for one "race" aspect, the race itself being described so that you know what you can invoke them for (positively or involuntarily), and let the player decide how many aspect levels he wants to put in - the explanation being, the more race aspect levels you have, the more you rely on your racial abilities for your job and your racial traits are apparent.

          E.g. A spacer relying heavily on its formidable agility to move graciously in 0-G and which is extremely thin and fragile and spider-like may have 3 "Spacer" aspect level, while an AI trying to be as human as possible and relenting using its fast-calculating abilities may have only one "AI" aspect level.

          And as described in the rulebook, the more original the aspects are, the more often they can be used - so rather than "Elf [] []", try "Wood Elf from Fangorn" or "Elf abandonned at birth and raised by human farmers" or "Grand-grand daughter of Galadriel"...

          L01c
        • James Pacek
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 4, 2005

            On Aug 31, 2005, at 6:44 PM, Persephone Imytholin wrote:

            Out on the Planes, I'd suggest not worrying too much about running out

            of magic. Maybe failing to cast something limits what you can do,

            maybe using some kind of damage track? That way, you could fling

            fireballs around the Elemental Plane of Fire all day, but creating

            water could be a bit upsetting and hurt your magical talents for a

            while. Try not to cast spells too close to the Spire, either.

            Maybe this article could serve as inspiration?  I don't know anything about PS, but
            I really like these damage track ideas.

            Thanks,

            _______________________

            Jim Pacek

            wilmanric@...

          • Persephone Imytholin
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 4, 2005
              On 05/09/05, James Pacek <wilmanric@...> wrote:

              > Maybe this article could serve as inspiration? I don't know anything about
              > PS, but
              > I really like these damage track ideas.
              >
              > http://www.fudgefactor.org/2005/08/cinematic-damage-alternatives.html

              Perhaps. I think it'd be easier to use a track where the character's
              aspects in whatever flavour of magic is the same as the number of
              boxes they get at each level. That way, if you were very good with
              magic (high skill), then you could avoid needing them. If you're the
              very essence of a mage (sorceress [] [] [] [], for example), then you
              can greatly slow down the rate at which minor failures flow on to
              cause bigger problems.
            • Sarah Wolfie
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 6, 2005
                Okay, things seem to be shaping up as thus: the characters are the
                Council For Eternal Peace, effectively "evil overlords" (or their
                minions, companions, allies, and whatever) who, having completed
                taking over their own Prime world, are attempting to bring their own
                idea of peace to the planes themselves. Humor will be a big part of
                the game (though the characters should be reasonably competent, having
                actually conquered a world). A bit part of the game will be realizing
                just how far more vast the planes are than one puny little Prime
                world. ;) The characters could very well experience a wide variety
                of outcomes from glorious fiery death to becoming an actual faction on
                the planes.

                Unusual characters are fine (for example, already I have a human
                half-golem cyborg wizard with a golem army and an outcast githyanki
                bard leading a mercenary army). Players can get creative with their
                characters' races/species if they want. Very very creative. Ever had
                something in the Monster Manual you really wanted to play as a
                character?

                What do you think about those ideas? Also, I was going to use 5
                phases, but then I realized it would actually take 9 phases to get to
                Superb (5 phases is Great max, not Superb as I thought). Now I'm
                thinking about a 10 phase game, but if I do 2 Aspect per phase,
                that'll be 20 Aspects. Is this excessive? Mind, it gives plenty of
                room for taking all kinds of crazy stuff like, say, Followers.
              • Sarah Wolfie
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 6, 2005
                  Oh, and if anyone's interested, the game'll be likely ran in real-time
                  online, by AIM chat room or IRC or Openrpg (whatever that thing's
                  called) or MUSH (didn't people talk about a Fudge/FATE one
                  somewhere?).

                  I'm still figuring out the exact mechanisms.
                • Doyle Shawn Carpenter
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 6, 2005
                    My wife and I are working on SemiAutoMagic, a MUSH (well, MUX really, but that only matters to code wonks) using the FATE based Dresdenverse RPG. I'm planning on converting my old fantasy/swashbuckling MUSH, Outremer, into a FATE code testbed in preparation for SemiAutoMagic, but I'm in the ealriest stages at the moment. If you're looking for a MUSH with open playing areas to run an online tabletop game on give shoot me an e-mail and I'm sure I can find someone with room for you!

                    Take care,

                    Shawn.

                    On 9/6/05, Sarah Wolfie <sarahwolfie@...> wrote:
                    Oh, and if anyone's interested, the game'll be likely ran in real-time
                    online, by AIM chat room or IRC or Openrpg (whatever that thing's
                    called) or MUSH (didn't people talk about a Fudge/FATE one
                    somewhere?).

                    --
                    Doyle Shawn Carpenter
                    dscarpenter@...
                    www.dscarpenter.net
                    www.livejournal.com/users/dshawncarpenter
                  • Sarah Wolfie
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 6, 2005
                      On 9/6/05, Doyle Shawn Carpenter <dscarpenter@...> wrote:
                      > My wife and I are working on SemiAutoMagic, a MUSH (well, MUX really, but
                      > that only matters to code wonks) using the FATE based Dresdenverse RPG. I'm
                      > planning on converting my old fantasy/swashbuckling MUSH, Outremer, into a
                      > FATE code testbed in preparation for SemiAutoMagic, but I'm in the ealriest
                      > stages at the moment. If you're looking for a MUSH with open playing areas
                      > to run an online tabletop game on give shoot me an e-mail and I'm sure I can
                      > find someone with room for you!

                      That'd certainly be welcomed. My two players so far have had some
                      degree of experience with MU*.
                      --
                      Sarah Wolfie