Re: [FateRPG] Twists applied to fantasy races and magic.

  • Darren Smith
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 31, 2005
      I run a fantasy game and I considered using a two
      aspect reference for race (elf [][] for example) so
      that mechanically a half elf (human [] elf []) could
      do elfish things only half as often as a regular elf.

      I still consider moving to such a model, but In the
      end I have the players each with one bonus aspect for
      race and culture of origin: Ungermak Dwarf [], for
      instance. Really, I just want to make sure it is there
      so that if there race causes a complication, I can ask
      for a fate point to override it or give one out if
      they play along. Other than that, I simply leave it up
      to the players if they want to more ranks in their
      race or culture.

      As I have reminded them often enough, their stats are
      not supposed to model their character precisely, but
      to model what is important to the characters
      narrative. So if you want your elfishness to be an
      important part of the story, take another rank in it
      and if not, don't.

      I don't know if you can get your characters to buy
      into it, but so far it has worked ok and no one as
      revolted yet.

      :Darren

    • Sarah Wolfie
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 1 5:20 AM
        On 8/31/05, Persephone Imytholin <imytholin@...> wrote:
        > Tiefers don't have quite that much fiend in them. Maybe a more general
        > aspect for Planetouched could cover it, to be padded out with stunts
        > and skills.

        True. It's more far back in the ancestry. Actually, you know what?
        I'm dumping this idea and simply doing one aspect for race.

        Xanxost who? :)

        Any suggestions on keying the schools to something easier to use with
        plane spell keys and such?
        --
        Sarah Wolfie
      • Persephone Imytholin
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 1 5:39 AM
          On 01/09/05, Sarah Wolfie <sarahwolfie@...> wrote:

          > True. It's more far back in the ancestry. Actually, you know what?
          > I'm dumping this idea and simply doing one aspect for race.

          *nods* Much nicer.

          > Xanxost who? :)

          Xanxost the Slaadi, of course.

          > Any suggestions on keying the schools to something easier to use with
          > plane spell keys and such?

          Use the Planes themselves, perhaps? Spell keys will be easy enough,
          but if you organise spells around the wat the Planes work then you'll
          be a few steps ahead. Spells that affect Things can probably be based
          around elements; that gives you your Elemental Planes right there, and
          you can mix for the Para- and Quasi-elementals as desired. Beyond
          that, you can use the natures of the Outer Planes to decide on labels,
          and organise things like that. Remember that you can play with the
          transitive planes, too; the Astral and Ethereal can be very fun, and
          can come up with some unfriendly surprises if you treat the planes
          like in PS2E (though I really should talk up PS3E. Oh well. :) ).

          Another thought that occurs to me is that belief is power; you can use
          this with FPs for an extra bit of narrative flavour. And you could
          probably even let players invoke things like the Rule of Threes, Unity
          of Rings and Centre of All, in special circumstances.
        • Loic Prot
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 3 11:37 AM
            Darren Smith said:

            > So if you want your elfishness to be an
            >important part of the story, take another rank in it
            >and if not, don't.

            I was about to suggest just that. I'm currently working on an hypothetic Fate adaptation of GURPS TransHumanSpace, where "races" (genetic manipulations, AIs, etc...) are extremely variable and very detailled. My solution so far is: instead of granting detailled aspects or stunts for each specific racial ability, I just go for one "race" aspect, the race itself being described so that you know what you can invoke them for (positively or involuntarily), and let the player decide how many aspect levels he wants to put in - the explanation being, the more race aspect levels you have, the more you rely on your racial abilities for your job and your racial traits are apparent.

            E.g. A spacer relying heavily on its formidable agility to move graciously in 0-G and which is extremely thin and fragile and spider-like may have 3 "Spacer" aspect level, while an AI trying to be as human as possible and relenting using its fast-calculating abilities may have only one "AI" aspect level.

            And as described in the rulebook, the more original the aspects are, the more often they can be used - so rather than "Elf [] []", try "Wood Elf from Fangorn" or "Elf abandonned at birth and raised by human farmers" or "Grand-grand daughter of Galadriel"...

            L01c
          • James Pacek
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 4 3:40 PM

              On Aug 31, 2005, at 6:44 PM, Persephone Imytholin wrote:

              Out on the Planes, I'd suggest not worrying too much about running out

              of magic. Maybe failing to cast something limits what you can do,

              maybe using some kind of damage track? That way, you could fling

              fireballs around the Elemental Plane of Fire all day, but creating

              water could be a bit upsetting and hurt your magical talents for a

              while. Try not to cast spells too close to the Spire, either.

              Maybe this article could serve as inspiration?  I don't know anything about PS, but
              I really like these damage track ideas.

              Thanks,

              _______________________

              Jim Pacek

              wilmanric@...

            • Persephone Imytholin
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 4 9:04 PM
                On 05/09/05, James Pacek <wilmanric@...> wrote:

                > Maybe this article could serve as inspiration? I don't know anything about
                > PS, but
                > I really like these damage track ideas.
                >
                > http://www.fudgefactor.org/2005/08/cinematic-damage-alternatives.html

                Perhaps. I think it'd be easier to use a track where the character's
                aspects in whatever flavour of magic is the same as the number of
                boxes they get at each level. That way, if you were very good with
                magic (high skill), then you could avoid needing them. If you're the
                very essence of a mage (sorceress [] [] [] [], for example), then you
                can greatly slow down the rate at which minor failures flow on to
                cause bigger problems.
              • Sarah Wolfie
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 6 8:35 AM
                  Okay, things seem to be shaping up as thus: the characters are the
                  Council For Eternal Peace, effectively "evil overlords" (or their
                  minions, companions, allies, and whatever) who, having completed
                  taking over their own Prime world, are attempting to bring their own
                  idea of peace to the planes themselves. Humor will be a big part of
                  the game (though the characters should be reasonably competent, having
                  actually conquered a world). A bit part of the game will be realizing
                  just how far more vast the planes are than one puny little Prime
                  world. ;) The characters could very well experience a wide variety
                  of outcomes from glorious fiery death to becoming an actual faction on
                  the planes.

                  Unusual characters are fine (for example, already I have a human
                  half-golem cyborg wizard with a golem army and an outcast githyanki
                  bard leading a mercenary army). Players can get creative with their
                  characters' races/species if they want. Very very creative. Ever had
                  something in the Monster Manual you really wanted to play as a
                  character?

                  What do you think about those ideas? Also, I was going to use 5
                  phases, but then I realized it would actually take 9 phases to get to
                  Superb (5 phases is Great max, not Superb as I thought). Now I'm
                  thinking about a 10 phase game, but if I do 2 Aspect per phase,
                  that'll be 20 Aspects. Is this excessive? Mind, it gives plenty of
                  room for taking all kinds of crazy stuff like, say, Followers.
                • Sarah Wolfie
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 6 8:38 AM
                    Oh, and if anyone's interested, the game'll be likely ran in real-time
                    online, by AIM chat room or IRC or Openrpg (whatever that thing's
                    called) or MUSH (didn't people talk about a Fudge/FATE one
                    somewhere?).

                    I'm still figuring out the exact mechanisms.
                  • Doyle Shawn Carpenter
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 6 9:40 AM
                      My wife and I are working on SemiAutoMagic, a MUSH (well, MUX really, but that only matters to code wonks) using the FATE based Dresdenverse RPG. I'm planning on converting my old fantasy/swashbuckling MUSH, Outremer, into a FATE code testbed in preparation for SemiAutoMagic, but I'm in the ealriest stages at the moment. If you're looking for a MUSH with open playing areas to run an online tabletop game on give shoot me an e-mail and I'm sure I can find someone with room for you!

                      Take care,

                      Shawn.

                      On 9/6/05, Sarah Wolfie <sarahwolfie@...> wrote:
                      Oh, and if anyone's interested, the game'll be likely ran in real-time
                      online, by AIM chat room or IRC or Openrpg (whatever that thing's
                      called) or MUSH (didn't people talk about a Fudge/FATE one
                      somewhere?).

                      --
                      Doyle Shawn Carpenter
                      dscarpenter@...
                      www.dscarpenter.net
                      www.livejournal.com/users/dshawncarpenter
                    • Sarah Wolfie
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 6 6:44 PM
                        On 9/6/05, Doyle Shawn Carpenter <dscarpenter@...> wrote:
                        > My wife and I are working on SemiAutoMagic, a MUSH (well, MUX really, but
                        > that only matters to code wonks) using the FATE based Dresdenverse RPG. I'm
                        > planning on converting my old fantasy/swashbuckling MUSH, Outremer, into a
                        > FATE code testbed in preparation for SemiAutoMagic, but I'm in the ealriest
                        > stages at the moment. If you're looking for a MUSH with open playing areas
                        > to run an online tabletop game on give shoot me an e-mail and I'm sure I can
                        > find someone with room for you!

                        That'd certainly be welcomed. My two players so far have had some
                        degree of experience with MU*.
                        --
                        Sarah Wolfie