Re: [FateRPG] Ranged combat

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 29, 2005
      On Fri, 29 Jul 2005, Loic Prot wrote:

      > How do you play ranged combat in FATE ? Has anyone created
      > a specific ruleset for ranged weapons ?

      In Spirit, we've got combat boiled down to three skills
      (mostly): Guns, Fists, and Weapons.

      We break the field of conflict down into "zones" in order
      to handle range (a warehouse might be three zones -- east,
      middle, and west -- for example).

      Each skill can operate over a different set of zones,
      basically.

      0 zones Melee Guns, Fists, Weapons
      1 zone Throwing Guns, Weapons (covers thrown weapons)
      2 zones Shooting Guns
      3 zones Rifle Guns
      4 zones Out of Range -

      This is tweakable, of course, but we find it's all the
      model you really need -- range of operation as a
      differentiator among skill types. Smashing 'Melee Weapons'
      and 'Thrown Weapons' together into one skill ended up
      proving a nice sort of "you need a weapon, but you can
      operate over more range" balance with Fists.

      (We may end up playing around with how Guns works a bit,
      for 'balance' too, but we're not there yet.)

      --
      Fred Hicks * "Curse you iago and your fast fingers!" - Rob Donoghue
      Co-Author of Fate - Author of Pace - Jim-Butcher.Com Webmaster - Weirdo
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 18, 2006
        Forgive me if this has come up in the past. I can't keep up with this
        board - I get so much e-mail...

        How are some of you doing ranged combat in your games? How good of a
        success would you say someone need to hit a humanoid in combat with a
        bow at, lets call them Short, Medium, and Long range, for example?

        Do some of you do opposed rolls with this? What if you're employing a
        combat style option? Archer versus Duelist at mediumish range?
        Opposed rolls seem odd to me for this - unless you're running some
        Wuxia-type game, it's not as though the other character is dodging
        your arrows...

        Love to hear opinions on this. I've been sitting on running a FATE
        game for a long time and one of the reasons is I couldn't really
        settle on a way to do this that I was happy with.

        Thanks.
      • howard_m_thompson
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 19, 2006
          This came up in the theards that start with messages 1971, 4753 & 4459 (and most
          assuredly others as well).