Re: Coming in Fall - Spirit of the Century

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 27, 2005
      Consider one copy sold. This looks awesome! And almost 200 additional
      stunts? I've been itching for a more detailed take on stunts for a
      long
      time. Where do I pre-order?
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 27, 2005
        On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Rob wrote:

        > Consider one copy sold. This looks awesome! And almost 200
        > additional stunts? I've been itching for a more detailed
        > take on stunts for a long time. Where do I pre-order?

        Heh. No pre-orders yet -- if that's even a concept that
        the online storefronts we'll be using _do_. We'll likely
        sell it through rpgnow, at the least.

        Glad to hear it's grabbed your interest!

        --
        Fred Hicks * "Curse you iago and your fast fingers!" - Rob Donoghue
        Co-Author of Fate - Author of Pace - Jim-Butcher.Com Webmaster - Weirdo
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 27, 2005
          > > Consider one copy sold. This looks awesome! And almost 200
          > > additional stunts? I've been itching for a more detailed
          > > take on stunts for a long time. Where do I pre-order?
          >
          > Glad to hear it's grabbed your interest!

          Grabbed my interest too. Additional stunts, temporary aspects,
          upshifts, etc. Looks like some serious changes to FATE. Looks very
          interesting.

          What are upshifts?
        • Rob
          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 27, 2005
            Ah. It now occurs to me that pre-orders aren't necessary for
            electronic documents as there are no copies to run out of. Doh!

            Oh, and um, long time reader of the boards. I don't think I've made
            any posts prior to this thread. Glad to be here. Go team Fate! Woo!

            Robert Wiesehan

            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 27, 2005
              On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Robert Stehwien wrote:

              > Grabbed my interest too. Additional stunts, temporary
              > aspects, upshifts, etc. Looks like some serious changes to
              > FATE.

              'Tis. Our general sequence plan right now is get Spirit
              done, then get Dresden done, then consolidate the lessons
              of the two and expand them into a general release of Fate
              3.0.

              > Looks very interesting.
              >
              > What are upshifts?

              Did I say 'upshifts' somewhere? Um...

              --
              Fred Hicks * "Curse you iago and your fast fingers!" - Rob Donoghue
              Co-Author of Fate - Author of Pace - Jim-Butcher.Com Webmaster - Weirdo
              The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game - Coming in 2006
              http://www.dresdenfilesrpg.com/
            • Chuk Goodin
              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 27, 2005
                On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 12:19:43PM -0400, Fred Hicks wrote:
                > > Looks very interesting.
                > >
                > > What are upshifts?
                >
                > Did I say 'upshifts' somewhere? Um...

                Upshifts are in Truth and Justice (which is way cool, and Qualities seem
                at least influenced by Aspects. Check it out at
                http://www.atomicsockmonkey.com/products/tj.asp )

                --
                chuk
              • Robert Stehwien
                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 27, 2005
                  > > What are upshifts?
                  >
                  > Did I say 'upshifts' somewhere? Um...

                  I followed some of the blogs and came to these entries:
                  http://www.livejournal.com/users/gamera_spinning/

                  Actually it just mentions shifts. (I probably got confused after
                  reading Truth and Justice and added "up").

                  There is mention of shifts, twists, and thresholds that I wasn't to savvy on.

                  Some of this I'm sure I'll just need to wait to have the game in my hands.
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jul 27, 2005
                    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Robert Stehwien wrote:

                    > I followed some of the blogs and came to these entries:
                    > http://www.livejournal.com/users/gamera_spinning/
                    >
                    > Actually it just mentions shifts. (I probably got confused
                    > after reading Truth and Justice and added "up").
                    >
                    > There is mention of shifts, twists, and thresholds that I
                    > wasn't to savvy on.
                    >
                    > Some of this I'm sure I'll just need to wait to have the
                    > game in my hands.

                    Ah, right. 'shifts' are a currency generated by skills to
                    express the potency of actions.

                    Twists are +1's and -1's that represent a change to the
                    field of conflict.

                    'Thresholds'... for some reason Rob and his brother John
                    persist in calling 'capacity' a 'threshold'. 'Capacity' is
                    basically an indicator of how much punishment of a
                    particular type a character can take.

                    Details... pending. :)

                    --
                    Fred Hicks * "Curse you iago and your fast fingers!" - Rob Donoghue
                    Co-Author of Fate - Author of Pace - Jim-Butcher.Com Webmaster - Weirdo
                    The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game - Coming in 2006
                    http://www.dresdenfilesrpg.com/
                  • Thijs Krijger
                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 13, 2005
                      On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Fred Hicks wrote:

                      > Thought I might give y'all a peek:
                      >
                      > http://www.evilhat.com/spirit/

                      Is there already more news?
                      More specific release date?
                      Previews??

                      Greetings from Thijs

                      Krijger@... or http://www.astro.uu.nl/~krijger
                      The world is not enough, it's only a starting point!
                    • HoskuldR
                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 13, 2005
                        AWESOME! I love pulp!

                        On Sep 13, 2005, at 4:32 AM, Thijs Krijger wrote:

                        > On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Fred Hicks wrote:
                        >
                        > >  Thought I might give y'all a peek:
                        > >
                        > >            http://www.evilhat.com/spirit/
                        >
                        > Is there already more news?
                        > More specific release date?
                        > Previews??
                        >
                        > Greetings from Thijs
                        >
                        > Krijger@...       or       http://www.astro.uu.nl/~krijger
                        >    The world is not enough, it's only a starting point!
                        >

                        > Fate * http://www.faterpg.com/
                        >
                        > If you enjoy Fate and are willing to lend your financial support,
                        > please take a look at http://www.faterpg.com/donate.php
                        >

                        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                        >
                        > ▪  Visit your group "FateRPG" on the web.

                        > Service.

                      • James Husum
                        Message 11 of 27 , Oct 26, 2005
                          Greetings,

                          Any updates on this?

                          On 7/25/05, Fred Hicks <iago@...> wrote:
                            Thought I might give y'all a peek:

                                      http://www.evilhat.com/spirit/

                          --
                          Fred Hicks * "Curse you iago and your fast fingers!" - Rob Donoghue
                          Co-Author of Fate - Author of Pace - Jim-Butcher.Com Webmaster - Weirdo
                                  The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game - Coming in 2006
                                          http://www.dresdenfilesrpg.com/

                          Fate * http://www.faterpg.com/

                          If you enjoy Fate and are willing to lend your financial support, please take a look at http://www.faterpg.com/donate.php

                          --
                          James Husum
                          The Quixote Project - one guy's quest to make the world a better place - http://www.thequixoteproject.org/
                          Brainsludge - all the shtuff running around my brain - http://www.brainsludge.com/
                          Interested in Science Fiction TV? I need your input! - http://www.scifitvfans.com/polls/
                          Currently reading: Mind Hacks by Tom Stafford and Matt Webb
                        • Robert Donoghue
                          Message 12 of 27 , Oct 26, 2005
                            We ended up having to rip out some of the guts in playtest, which
                            cascaded horribly. Net result is pretty good, but it means things
                            are taking longer than we'd hoped.

                            -Rob D.

                            Message 13 of 27 , Oct 26, 2005
                              Greetings,

                              Hmmm. Fair enough. Better to have a great game but wait a little longer than to have a good game and have it now I suppose.

                              Here's hoping the wait isn't too long.

                              On 10/26/05, Robert Donoghue <rdonoghue@...> wrote:
                              We ended up having to rip out some of the guts in playtest, which
                              cascaded horribly.  Net result is pretty good, but it means things
                              are taking longer than we'd hoped.

                              -Rob D.

                              On Oct 26, 2005, at 1:15 PM, James Husum wrote:

                              > Greetings,
                              >
                              > Any updates on this?
                              >
                              > On 7/25/05, Fred Hicks <iago@...> wrote:   Thought I might
                              > give y'all a peek:
                              >
                              >             http://www.evilhat.com/spirit/
                              >
                              > --
                              > Fred Hicks * "Curse you iago and your fast fingers!" - Rob Donoghue
                              > Co-Author of Fate - Author of Pace - Jim-Butcher.Com Webmaster -
                              > Weirdo
                              >         The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game - Coming in 2006
                              >                 http://www.dresdenfilesrpg.com/
                              >

                              > Fate * http://www.faterpg.com/
                              >
                              > If you enjoy Fate and are willing to lend your financial support,
                              > please take a look at http://www.faterpg.com/donate.php
                              >

                              > --
                              > James Husum
                              > The Quixote Project - one guy's quest to make the world a better
                              > place - http://www.thequixoteproject.org/
                              > Brainsludge - all the shtuff running around my brain - http://
                              > www.brainsludge.com/
                              > Interested in Science Fiction TV? I need your input! - http://
                              > www.scifitvfans.com/polls/
                              > Currently reading: Mind Hacks by Tom Stafford and Matt Webb
                              >
                              > Fate * http://www.faterpg.com/
                              >
                              > If you enjoy Fate and are willing to lend your financial support,
                              > please take a look at http://www.faterpg.com/donate.php

                              --
                              James Husum
                              The Quixote Project - one guy's quest to make the world a better place - http://www.thequixoteproject.org/
                              Brainsludge - all the shtuff running around my brain - http://www.brainsludge.com/
                              Interested in Science Fiction TV? I need your input! - http://www.scifitvfans.com/polls/
                              Currently reading: Mind Hacks by Tom Stafford and Matt Webb
                            • David Hoberman
                              Message 14 of 27 , Oct 27, 2005
                                What do you mean, "rip out the guts"? Love to hear a little bit more about the development process, if you care to share!

                                David

                                On 10/26/05, James Husum <james.husum@...> wrote:
                                Greetings,

                                Hmmm. Fair enough. Better to have a great game but wait a little longer than to have a good game and have it now I suppose.

                                Here's hoping the wait isn't too long.

                                On 10/26/05, Robert Donoghue <rdonoghue@... > wrote:
                                We ended up having to rip out some of the guts in playtest, which
                                cascaded horribly.  Net result is pretty good, but it means things
                                are taking longer than we'd hoped.

                                -Rob D.

                                On Oct 26, 2005, at 1:15 PM, James Husum wrote:

                                > Greetings,
                                >
                                > Any updates on this?
                                >
                                > On 7/25/05, Fred Hicks < iago@...> wrote:   Thought I might
                                > give y'all a peek:
                                >
                                >             http://www.evilhat.com/spirit/
                                >
                                > --
                                > Fred Hicks * "Curse you iago and your fast fingers!" - Rob Donoghue
                                > Co-Author of Fate - Author of Pace - Jim-Butcher.Com Webmaster -
                                > Weirdo
                                >         The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game - Coming in 2006
                                >                 http://www.dresdenfilesrpg.com/
                                >

                                > Fate * http://www.faterpg.com/
                                >
                                > If you enjoy Fate and are willing to lend your financial support,
                                > please take a look at http://www.faterpg.com/donate.php
                                >

                                > --
                                > James Husum
                                > The Quixote Project - one guy's quest to make the world a better
                                > place - http://www.thequixoteproject.org/
                                > Brainsludge - all the shtuff running around my brain - http://
                                > www.brainsludge.com/
                                > Interested in Science Fiction TV? I need your input! - http://
                                > www.scifitvfans.com/polls/
                                > Currently reading: Mind Hacks by Tom Stafford and Matt Webb
                                >
                                > Fate * http://www.faterpg.com/
                                >
                                > If you enjoy Fate and are willing to lend your financial support,
                                > please take a look at http://www.faterpg.com/donate.php

                                --
                                James Husum
                                The Quixote Project - one guy's quest to make the world a better place - http://www.thequixoteproject.org/
                                Brainsludge - all the shtuff running around my brain - http://www.brainsludge.com/
                                Interested in Science Fiction TV? I need your input! - http://www.scifitvfans.com/polls/
                                Currently reading: Mind Hacks by Tom Stafford and Matt Webb

                                Fate * http://www.faterpg.com/

                                If you enjoy Fate and are willing to lend your financial support, please take a look at http://www.faterpg.com/donate.php

                                Chocolate fudge Fudge Fudge hair products
                                Fudge shop Computer role playing game Role playing games

                                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                              • Robert Donoghue
                                Message 15 of 27 , Oct 27, 2005
                                  Well, heck, lemme at least take some broad strokes at this.

                                  Basically, the things that are going to make SoC it's own thing
                                  rather than just a setting for Fate, are rules tweaks to support the
                                  core principals of fast, pulpy play. Some of this comes up in
                                  chargen, and a large swath of it is tied into character abilities,
                                  but the real core of it is in the combat system. Basically, we want
                                  to make sure we offer a combat system that's got enough depth to it
                                  that people feel they're getting the support they need to run pulpy
                                  fights. Easy to say, interesting to do.

                                  We've gone through a few engines, and hit upon one which was,
                                  honestly, fantastic. It really broke down the game of combat into
                                  something that could slide up and down the abstraction ladder
                                  seamlessly. But it was a little bit too fiddly (detail-oriented) in
                                  play to be a match for pulp, and that created a big problem. We had
                                  this engine that was conceptually awesome, but practically
                                  problematic, so we tried to resolve that conflict, and it went
                                  poorly. Every half-solution lost the cleverness, or failed to make
                                  things play any more smoothly.

                                  Now, at this point, we had something ok, but we couldn't seem to get
                                  it better than that, so we opted for violence. This was a tough
                                  call. We'd put a _lot_ of time and effort into making things go with
                                  the current system, and there's a resistance to change that comes
                                  once you've invested time. But we bit the bullet.

                                  We ripped out _everything_ we'd built up, went back to the core
                                  rules, and rebuilt form the ground up, taking the lessons we'd
                                  learned along the way. The net result was something that took the
                                  principles of the underlying engine and put a friendlier user
                                  interface on it, and a few things got entirely turned on their
                                  heads. Most notably, we have an entirely new set of ideas for
                                  handling injuries and other long-term consequences which I am
                                  absolutely excited about and which, in playtest, smoothly handled a
                                  pirate shoving a parrot into a wound to stop the bleeding.

                                  Dead serious. We've got some weird players. :)

                                  I'd go into more details, but the underlying engine is going to come
                                  up again, though hard to say when.

                                  Anyway, the core now works pretty darn well, and the next big hurdle
                                  is combing the rules to make sure the language and dependancies are
                                  all consistent.

                                  -Rob D.