Re: Fate in SciFi world

  • vincentalienzk@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 30, 2005
      In a message dated 06/29/2005 12:57:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time, FateRPG@yahoogroups.com writes:

      Message: 8
        Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 06:12:11 -0700 (PDT)
        From: Fred <othaherzog@...>
      Subject: Re: Fate in SciFi world

      I'm working on a FATE SF setting.  There'll be some lists of gadgets, but
      given that the culture in question has access to nanotech assembly techniques,
      each item will be tailor-made to the intended user.

      I'm working on a setting, for either Fudge or Fate, in what I call the Middle Far Future- a few millenia on, in the One Twenty Fourth-and-a-half Century, 12,437 AD. No aliens, except that humanity has speciated, adapting to new environments. Vanishingly few natural living worlds, but plenty of easily terraformable ones, Mars-like and nicer to nearly earth-like, and at least one hard case like Venus in nearly every solar system. Terraforming became routine, although costly, and it got automated, over time. Somewhen along the way, the human clade has been up and down and over and out, so that their 'living tech' sorta went wild. Now the best starships are feral, caught and modified.

      High-gravity humans go where ever a massive planet happens to be, and start wars over them, sometimes. Low-gravity humans have a lot more options, and both kinds are rather less common than the baseline variety, who can adapt up or down, within reason. The distinctions are less about muscle-tone and bone density, and more about the finicky details, like cardio, digestion, and reproduction. LGH are going to be healthier beanpoles than the baseline variety, who are probably even taller and skinnier. HGH are likewise going to be healthier, possibly genetically engineered with an extra heart, and last decades longer in their home environment.

      I'm planning on introducing revived 21st century humans as PCs, frankensteins, really, cobbled together from the remains of 10,000 years of war and disaster. Should be rather freaky, and I'm going to have to be rather careful with the whole 'you aren't who you think you are,' bit. Having Moderns for a POV, though, means I have to slow down and explain things better than I've done on several occasions, and also, they don't know and need to find out, critical things. Like the less than perfect 'cloning'  and mind downloading process that made them (Mwahahaha!).

      Vince

      The crew of the Firefly-class transport Sky Dancer had a quick little delivery to make for an old Browncoat friend. Easy peasy, until things got complicated. As in, Captain Lux, the droppee, got dead, and now the purplebellies are real interested in his murder. Why can't things ever go smooth?
    • Hans
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 8, 2005
        --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "James" <qi_energy@y...> wrote:
        > Thanks to all for your valuable input. After some thought on all the
        > feedback, I've come to the following realizations:
        >
        > - I can play with different ladder & pyramid schemes (I love those
        > concepts!) and get the game as crunchy as it needs to be for my group.

        As I read this (new poster, by the way) it occurred to me how many
        similarities there are between old school (I mean way old school, three
        little Black Books) Traveller and Fate in character creation.

        For those of you who never played it (I cut my teeth on it as a GM),
        each character was created through a series of tours of duty with a
        service (Marines, Army, Navy, Scouts, Merchant Marine) gaining skills
        and stuff appropriate to that service. At the end of the process (it
        was variable in length, and a character could actually die halfway
        through and you would have to start again) you "mustered out", got your
        last bit of cash and any special stuff your service might give you (a
        weapon, a free passage on a starliner, etc.) and your character was
        ready to go.

        T20 (the D20 implementation of Traveller) does a pretty good job of
        translating this, but FATE essentially shares the basic mechanic with
        it already.

        I could see a set of phases, each one giving two aspects. One aspect
        would be the Service aspect (Army, Navy, etc.) and one would be
        anything else (Strong, Canny, Cowardly, Sniper, etc.).

        Anyway, it was just something that hit me reading this.