Re: FATE newbie rules question

  • mothlos
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 3, 2005
      I have found it useful to let players involved in such a struggle to
      negotiate for bonuses from various aspects. For example one character
      had the aspect of Trucker (a truck driver) and he was involved in an
      arm wrestling match at a diner (with the scorpians and everything for
      you bad movie buffs out there). While he had no strength value, he
      explained his character's history of physical exertion combined with
      the fact that his Trucker aspect was meant to be implying the
      stereotypes of the burly type.

      Simply on the fact that he created a reasonable narrative I let him
      apply the aspect to the encounter.
    • James Pacek
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 4, 2005

        On May 16, 2005, at 7:54 AM, Fred Hicks wrote:

          I'm personally moving away from rating aspects for rolling

          these days, with a philosophy that 'if it's a sort of

          thing you'll call for a roll on, make sure you've included

          a skill in your skill list that covers it'. Which has lead

          to a 'Might' skill (to represent feats of strength in

          contest) in some of our more recent implementations.

        Can anyone tell me the list of Attribute-like skills that Fred is referring to here?  I want to include them in my latest Fate game!

        Might, ?, ?,... ?

        Anyone?

        Rob refers to them too!

        That said, physical strength has been an issue frequently enough that
        I've gotten in the habit of adding a "Might" skill to my skill lists
        to represent it.

        -Rob D.

        Thanks,

        _______________________

        Jim Pacek

        wilmanric@...

      • Persephone Imytholin
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 4, 2005
          You could just make up your own.

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 4, 2005

            On Sep 4, 2005, at 5:56 PM, Persephone Imytholin wrote:

            You could just make up your own.

            I know.  :)  I'm just drawing a blank and I was figuring they might be the "standard" in new Evil Hat stuff like "Spirit of the Century" and "Dresden Files."  I was hoping that I could use them in my current campaign, then, when we transitioned over to the other games, they'd already be familiar.

            Thanks,

            _______________________

            Jim Pacek

            wilmanric@...

          • Jonathan Moyer
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 4, 2005
              FateRPG@yahoogroups.com on Sunday, September 4, 2005 at 8:34 PM -0500 wrote:
              >Can anyone tell me the list of Attribute-like skills that Fred is referring to here? I want to include them in my latest Fate game!

              I'm not sure there is a codified list. In addition to "Might," you could have attribute-like skills such as Strength, Intelligence, Fortitude, and so on. Spirit of the Century will likely have a skill list that includes these kinds of skills.

              Jon
            • Kurt Rauscher
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 6, 2005
                On 9/4/05, James Pacek <wilmanric@...> wrote:
                > Can anyone tell me the list of Attribute-like skills that Fred is referring
                > to here? I want to include them in my latest Fate game!
                >
                > Might, ?, ?,... ?

                I don't know of a specific list, but have lots of suggestions, some of
                which are more skill-like, others more attribute like.

                Might, Acrobatics/Gymnastics, Brains, Brawn, Crafty, Personality,
                Charm, Willpower, Agility, Health, Robust, Stamina, Heartiness,
                Enduring, Wit, Notice, Perception, Learning, Education, Faith,
                Awareness, Sense, Common Sense(Why not?), Body, Build, Grace(ful),
                Social Grace, Flexibility, Presence, Insight

                Obviously, some could apply to multiple uses (Brawn could be strength
                and toughness Crafty could be charisma + wisdom, etc), so i'd think
                the list would depend on how much emphasis you want on attribute-like
                skills vs other skills, and also on what you might think important
                enough to rate as a skill. Not all games would need Faith or
                Insight, but a game of demon hunting might find those more useful than
                Might.

                Just some thoughts.

                --
                Kurt Rauscher -:- krauscher@...
                "I was considering Laser Eye Surgery. But it turns out it can't be