Re: Alternate Conflict System

  • enterdreaming
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 3 3:38 AM
      --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Alan Haley <alanhaley01@y...> wrote:

      > --- Mesentery <mr_mesentery@y...> wrote:
      >
      > > While in the shower today, an idea for merging the
      > > regular combat system and Darren's
      > > alternate system. I've obviously not playtested it
      > > (and have yet to play Fate at all!), but
      > > I'd like to know what people think.

      4 words, Ars Magica, 4th edition.
      it used this system.

      5th edition did not - quess why, focus is on magic and not on
      complex system.
      It's a good Optional dueling system when combat is clearly a melee
      duel.
    • Mesentery
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 3 12:41 PM
        --- enterdreaming <artturi_laitakari@...> wrote:

        > 4 words, Ars Magica, 4th edition.
        > it used this system.

        That's funny, I have ArM4 and didn't notice the similarity until you pointed it out. One
        difference is that in ArM carrying over an advantage from round to round only allows you to do
        more damage when you choose to make it count, while in this system it's the loser who gets to
        decide when he gets hurt from the escalation mechanic, and if it goes on long enough he can
        lose without being hurt at all. That and the conflict resolution method works for non-combat
        situations in Fate, whereas in ArM it's just for combat.

        Torsten

        Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!