Psychic Ubermensch Clones in Space

  • Joe Murphy
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 2005
      So next weekend, I'm running a space marine game for a bunch of kids
      aged 14-16. I thought I'd try a Fated version of 'Force 9', an old
      Fudge game.

      Characters are cloned, ubermensch bodies, psychically puppeteered into
      fast-paced, near-suicidal missions. They get 'Aliens'-level gear -
      rifles, grenades - and simple psychic powers.

      I'm going to hand out half-pregenerated characters. On each sheet,
      there'll be a few options that each player can select. For example, I
      might provide ten example aspects, and give the player five points to
      spread around.

      So how does this blueprint for characters sound?

      Five points to spend on aspects. Aspects will range from 'team role'
      (Security, Recon, Officer) to personality (Devil-May-Care) to traits of
      the cloned bodies (Massive, Dermal armor).

      A couple of clones might also get aspects for trademark weapons - a
      heavy machinegun, or flamethrower.

      Each clone also gets a 'Psi Talents' trait which can be used for Matrix-
      style stunts and uncanny guesswork.

      15 points of skills. Skills are broad, eg Firearms, Mechanic, Sciences,
      Vehicles.

      And 5 points of edges, such as nightvision and their gear. I'm thinking
      of keeping weapons and gear simple: most gear offers a +1 'superior
      tools' advantage. Same with weapons. Backup weapons (that handy
      shotgun) gives no advantage. Unarmed clones are at -1.

      Clones will die. I'd like their players to be able to offer a concrete
      advantage to their teammates for well-played, messy, heroic deaths. I'm
      not sure what to do, though. Any ideas?

      And the enemies are going to be assorted bugs. For the most part,
      they'll be scenery. But bugs will often pick up the 'superior numbers'
      and 'superior position' advantage during dramatic scenes.

      I'm a little concerned that my players won't enjoy such a simplistic
      treatment of weapons. So I've considere offering small bonuses for
      miming and descriptions: a +1 for the mimed ka-chunk of a pump-action,
      for example.

      I haven't run Fate before, so how does this all sound?

      Joe.
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2005
        On Sun, 27 Feb 2005, Joe Murphy wrote:

        > I'm a little concerned that my players won't enjoy such a
        > simplistic treatment of weapons. So I've considere
        > offering small bonuses for miming and descriptions: a +1
        > for the mimed ka-chunk of a pump-action, for example.

        Make sure that the aspects are interesting, and consider
        making weapon specialties, or particular tag-quotes (e.g.,
        "Game Over, man!") as possible aspects -- and I think
        you'll increase your player happiness quotient.

        > I haven't run Fate before, so how does this all sound?

        Pretty solid. I'm not sure I'd go to Fate as my first
        choice for a straight-up bug-hunt type thing, but if you
        make sure to wrap a little deliberate story structure
        around your scenario, I think you'll be reasonably happy
        with it.

        If you're willing to go even more simple, however, you might
        wanna check out Pace (http://www.evilhat.com/pace/)

        --
        Fred Hicks * "Curse you iago and your fast fingers!" - Rob Donoghue
        Co-Author of Fate - Author of Pace - Jim-Butcher.Com Webmaster - Weirdo
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2005
          > Make sure that the aspects are interesting, and consider
          > making weapon specialties, or particular tag-quotes (e.g.,
          > "Game Over, man!") as possible aspects -- and I think
          > you'll increase your player happiness quotient.

          Yup. I'm going to offer two columns of aspects, about ten in total.
          Players can choose between, say 'Devious' and 'Sharpshooter' or '"Death
          From Above!" and 'Master Tactician'. Just to define their pregens a little.

          > > I haven't run Fate before, so how does this all sound?
          >
          > Pretty solid. I'm not sure I'd go to Fate as my first
          > choice for a straight-up bug-hunt type thing, but if you
          > make sure to wrap a little deliberate story structure
          > around your scenario, I think you'll be reasonably happy
          > with it.

          I do have a fairly solid story (or situation) in mind, with some horror
          elements. I think it'll work.

          Mostly, I want to throw player control at my group. I ran InSpectres
          last week. My group is quite young, and while they can improvise madly,
          I'd like to see how they enjoy Fate's slightly tighter structure.

          > If you're willing to go even more simple, however, you might
          > wanna check out Pace (http://www.evilhat.com/pace/)

          I do like Pace and was thinking of running that soon, too. =) Thanks for
          the advice!

          Joe.