Re: Re: Lunch is Dangerous

  • Jeff Powers
    Message 1 of 69 , Feb 8, 2005
      > With a death spiral, it is very important to do as much damage as
      > early as possible. You don't take a few wounds and then come back
      > to churn out a heroic reversal - or at least, the accumulating
      > wound penalties work against this effect.

      This might only be appropriate for a highly cinematic game, but how about
      letting a Fate point reverse your wound penalty for a single action...
      so that broken, bleeding, -4 Conan suddenly leaps forward with savage
      ferocity and slices his foe in twain at +4. Maybe make this result in an
      additional wound from the strain... which might just kill them, making for
      one hell of a dramatic exit.

      - jeff
    • Mike Holmes
      Message 69 of 69 , Feb 25, 2005
        Sorry missed responding to this earlier.

        >From: "Darren Hill" <rpglists@...>
        >
        >On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 12:22:52 -0600, Mike Holmes
        ><mike_c_holmes@...> wrote:
        >
        > > I'll take a different tac here entirely. I use conflict
        resolution. So
        > > there
        > > is no accumulation of penalties in a contest. So the question is
        moot.

        >Is this a requirement for conflict resolution?

        No. Conflict resolution allows for you to use this simpler method. I
        don't really care about the "accumulation of penalties" in play. I'd
        rather just have the inputs, roll a result, and narrate whatever I
        want that matches the mechanical outcome.

        >I don't see off-hand why
        >you couldn't have conflict resolution without accumulating
        penalties, as
        >the conflict swings one way.

        Well, conflict resolution (called scene resolution in FATE) just gets
        you past all of that in-between mechanical detail. Personally, I
        don't think that such systems that provide these "swings" often
        really do provide much, I find that the interesting stuff happens
        with the decisions made before or after the die rolls mostly as
        opposed to round to round. The round to round stuff is just extra
        steps to get to the outcome which is the fun part, for me.

        Now, if you wanted to match, say, Hero Quest, and have a method where
        you had just rising tension, but no penalties until the outcome? Then
        I'd advocate an exchange system like somebody proposed where there is
        no "death spiral" and you just measure "Boxes" or something towards
        success. Nobody gets any lasting penalties until the actual outcome.
        This is the same as the overall conflict resolution, except that it
        breaks down the contest into smaller bits for description back and
        forth (which seems to be what people are looking for).

        No it doesn't allow for lasting injuries to be sustained during a
        contest. I think that in dramatic stuff, and even in real life, such
        are rare to non-existent. For example, in fights people simply don't
        whittle each other down with increasingly worse and worse injuries.
        Even in Kung Fu fights, the hits really don't have any lasting
        effect, and can totally be considered "situational". In fact that's
        the only way I consider to be "accurate" for doing such a fight.

        Mike