Fred's supplementary questions (Was: Re: [FateRPG] Lunch is Dangerous)

  • Steven Roman
    Message 1 of 69 , Feb 8, 2005
      Touching on several questions ...

      First, as many have mentioned, a damage track should be appropriate
      to the genre you're emulating, just like every other aspect of the

      In a pulp game, this means mooks go down and PCs stay up. Same with
      Hong Kong action games.

      In grittier combat games, you can leave the damage as-is, or even
      *increase* the lethality of the Death Spiral by increasing the
      penalties (though I've not playtested this). The damage system works
      well, however--it's by no means broken.

      But those penalties can sure add up.

      Ultimately, I like the Wound aspect system. This allows the players
      and GM to collaboratively make use of wounds to enhance game play
      beyond combat or simple penalties. In addition, it makes it easier to
      emulate the various genres.

      For example, in an HK film, a character can get shot up pretty badly,
      beaten to a pulp, etc. However, despite the mass of bandages and
      wounds, the character's effectiveness doesn't seem diminished in the
      following scenes. Thus, the GM could simply leave the wound aspects
      on the character as a reminder, not invoking them or having them
      penalize the player unless / until it's dramatically appropriate.

      Wound aspects also allow for invocation by players, thus arguably
      adding more story potential, as has been noted previously on this

      --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Fred Hicks <iago@i...> wrote:
      > There's another part of the question that Rob's asking
      > here -- having to do with the *severity* of Death Spirals.
      > In Fate, as we currently have it, the Spiral can layer on
      > pretty thick --
      > Clipped (-1 for the next action)
      > Hurt (-1 for the scene)
      > Injured x 2 (-1 for the scene, twice)
      > Totalling up (deliberately) to a -4 when it's all raining
      > down on your head.
      > So part of the question that arises here is, is this too
      > much of a spiral?
      > Would a less severe one (frex, a simple, single 'Wounded'
      > penalty, potentially with the short burst of an additional
      > 'Clipped' kind of thing showing up) still get you the
      > effect you like about it?
      > How much of the 'spiral' is about the roll-over of boxes
      > getting filled up, versus the penalties, from your
      > perspective?
      > On Mon, 07 Feb 2005, Mesentery wrote:
      > > Here's another vote for Death Spirals. I like the way that
      > > they give you two incentives to get out of combat when
      > > you're wounded: not only are you closer to death, but
      > > you're also less effective. They also allow a way to tell
      > > if someone's hurt in addition to descriptions by the GM.
      > >
      > > I like different kinds of Death Spirals for different
      > > genres. For a pulp or Hong Kong action film feel, don't
      > > give penalties until the character is badly hurt, while
      > > for something more "realistic" and dangerous start giving
      > > out penalties once the character has taken any damage at
      > > all.
      > --
      > Fred Hicks * "Curse you iago and your fast fingers!" - Rob Donoghue
      > Co-Author of Fate - Author of Pace - Jim-Butcher.Com Webmaster -
      > The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game - Coming in 2006
      > http://www.dresdenfilesrpg.com/
    • Mike Holmes
      Message 69 of 69 , Feb 25, 2005
        Sorry missed responding to this earlier.

        >From: "Darren Hill" <rpglists@...>
        >On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 12:22:52 -0600, Mike Holmes
        ><mike_c_holmes@...> wrote:
        > > I'll take a different tac here entirely. I use conflict
        resolution. So
        > > there
        > > is no accumulation of penalties in a contest. So the question is
        >Is this a requirement for conflict resolution?

        No. Conflict resolution allows for you to use this simpler method. I
        don't really care about the "accumulation of penalties" in play. I'd
        rather just have the inputs, roll a result, and narrate whatever I
        want that matches the mechanical outcome.

        >I don't see off-hand why
        >you couldn't have conflict resolution without accumulating
        penalties, as
        >the conflict swings one way.

        Well, conflict resolution (called scene resolution in FATE) just gets
        you past all of that in-between mechanical detail. Personally, I
        don't think that such systems that provide these "swings" often
        really do provide much, I find that the interesting stuff happens
        with the decisions made before or after the die rolls mostly as
        opposed to round to round. The round to round stuff is just extra
        steps to get to the outcome which is the fun part, for me.

        Now, if you wanted to match, say, Hero Quest, and have a method where
        you had just rising tension, but no penalties until the outcome? Then
        I'd advocate an exchange system like somebody proposed where there is
        no "death spiral" and you just measure "Boxes" or something towards
        success. Nobody gets any lasting penalties until the actual outcome.
        This is the same as the overall conflict resolution, except that it
        breaks down the contest into smaller bits for description back and
        forth (which seems to be what people are looking for).

        No it doesn't allow for lasting injuries to be sustained during a
        contest. I think that in dramatic stuff, and even in real life, such
        are rare to non-existent. For example, in fights people simply don't
        whittle each other down with increasingly worse and worse injuries.
        Even in Kung Fu fights, the hits really don't have any lasting
        effect, and can totally be considered "situational". In fact that's
        the only way I consider to be "accurate" for doing such a fight.