Re: [FateRPG] Rock, paper or scissors combat

  • lance dyas
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2005
      faithmaydark wrote:

      >In this system one cannot both attack and defend without using
      >aspects. I am hoping that this will make the combats short and
      >deadly. My players are 5 phase characters with a bonus race,
      >culture, family, wild aspect and a rock paper scissors aspect. They
      >also get 1 free extra per phase.
      >
      >-Default defense: Skill used to resist being attacked by anyone.
      >-Default stance: everyone chooses one that best represents there
      >personality for when they are surprised and grants a once per combat
      >renewable aspect that may be advanced as a normal aspect.

      hmmm I really like the default stance idea... in general it makes
      surprise feel unplanned
      in a very nice way.

      >-Skill: the combat skill used.
      >-Effect: MoS, method of success or whatever it is called.
      >-Free stunts: skill -2
      >-Max stunts: skill
      >-Weapon effect: 1 +1 per extra (max 3) see chart
      >-Armor effect: 1 +1 per extra (max 3) see chart
      >-Aspect refresh: once per night of sleep, two per session.
      >
      >0. Ambushed?
      > Default defense = forced into the defensive strategy and default
      >stance. The ambushed suffer an initiative bonus equal to skill *
      >0.5 [round up]. The ambusher gains a +1 bonus to skill and a +1
      >bonus to effect.
      >
      >1. Declare strategy: offensive or defensive
      >Offensive: default defense = skill * 0.5 [round up]
      > [Aspect] Defend: may defend against one attacker at full skill.
      > [Aspect] Flurry: activate a suitable aspect to attack 2 initiative
      >counts later.
      >Defensive: default defense = skill -1, may defend against one
      >attacker at full skill.
      > [Aspect] Determine stance of an opponant.
      >
      >2. Declare stance: rock, paper or scissors
      > Rock: -1 to skill, +2 to effect, +1 to skill verses scissors stance
      > Paper: +1 to default defense, +1 to skill verses rock stance
      > Scissors: +1 to skill, -2 to effect, +1 to skill verses paper
      >stance

      Interesting you tied aggressiveness and strategic benefits together....I
      have been diligently separating them...
      I do have more strategies though ;-)

      >4. Action
      >[Defend] Draw weapon: Make a skill roll with your weapons skill and
      >on a Hurt result your weapon is drawn. If you fail you need to
      >defend yourself with brawling. May spend a stunt to draw a weapon
      >automatically. Note there is an attack option as well.
      > [Attack] Draw weapon: Attack using brawling while you draw your
      >weapon. Make a skill roll with your weapons skill and on an Injured
      >result your weapon is drawn. May spend a stunt to draw a weapon
      >automatically. Note that there is a defend option as well.
      >[Attack] Stop someone from drawing a weapon: Your attack result is
      >reduced by one category and a modified result of clipped keeps the
      >weapon unsheathed.
      >[Attack] Force initiative penalty: -1 per effect category.
      >[Attack] Force stance: Hurt result.
      >[Attack] Flow of the moment: Succeed in attacking, make a sense
      >motive check verses deceive and achieve a Clipped result.
      >[Defend] Study opponent: Succeed in defending, make a sense motive
      >check verses deceive and achieve a Hurt result.
      >[Attack or Defend] Know the opponents default stance. Succeed in
      >defending or attacking, make a sense motive check verses deceive and
      >achieve an Injured result.
      >[Attack] Outnumber: +1 to skill.
      >[Attack] Flank: Win initiative and outnumber an opponent granting a
      >+1 to skill.
      >[Attack] Disarm: Injured result.
      >[Attack] Trip: Hurt result. Forces opponent into a defensive
      >strategy.
      >[Attack or Defend] Taunt: Forces opponent into an offensive or
      >defensive strategy. Social skill verses social skill.

      Ahhh you covered some additional strategies in your specific actions

      WOW in general the above looks like a really really crunchy
      implementation of much that I am doing
      in the Hand of Fate ;-)

      Google Me at : Decision Driven Rolegaming

      -- Lance Dyas
      Destiny the Hand of Fate - at the Decision Driven Gaming Center
      Creating a language for describing the methods by which we accomplish
      things and thereby better enable visualization of play.
      http://www.dyasdesigns.com/roleplay/Fate/HandOfFate.pdf