Re: A couple of random thoughts

  • Jari Mäkelä
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2005
      > postscript: Yes, I do realise that this would make the GM more like a
      > player with many characters, practically infinite fate points, and
      > advance insight into the plot. This is bad because?

      Hi,

      In my opinion, it is good and that is exactly the way I would prefer
      things to work. The concept of some games where NPC's are just , well
      filler does not work for me, they are as viable characters as Player
      characters with their own hopes and fears.

      Jari Mäkelä
    • Pierre-Alexandre Sicart
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2005
        > In my opinion, it is good and that is exactly the way I would prefer
        > things to work. The concept of some games where NPC's are just , well
        > filler does not work for me, they are as viable characters as Player
        > characters with their own hopes and fears.

        Well, the PCs are still the *protagonists* of the story. NPCs don't have to
        be two-dimentional, but the spotlight should be on the PCs.
      • Mike Holmes
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 4, 2005
          >From: "Pierre-Alexandre Sicart" <pa_games@...>

          > > In my opinion, it is good and that is exactly the way I would prefer
          > > things to work. The concept of some games where NPC's are just , well
          > > filler does not work for me, they are as viable characters as Player
          > > characters with their own hopes and fears.
          >
          >Well, the PCs are still the *protagonists* of the story. NPCs don't have to
          >be two-dimentional, but the spotlight should be on the PCs.

          I agree with PA. The real question is not whether or not the NPCs can have
          protagonist quality themselves or not, but whether or not focusing on them
          as such takes away from the PCs being protagonists. In practice, I'd say
          that it's a difficult situation, almost a conflict of interest, for a GM to
          be playing other characters as protagonists. But in the right situation, I
          don't think it's problematic.

          If the PCs aren't protagonists, however, then why are the players playing?

          Mike
        • Darren Hill
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 4, 2005
            On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 03:15:57 +1100, Persephone Imytholin
            <imytholin@...> wrote:

            > One of the immediate thoughts I had was that players could,
            > conceivably, compel negative aspects in other entities; something not
            > that terribly scary once you realise that Fate gives players a goodly
            > dose of narrative power.
            <snip>

            I thing Fred or Rob have actually suggested this in the past.

            > The second thought I had was invoking your own aspects as though they
            > were negative ones for someone else. This one's a little trickier
            > conceptually, but it makes sense since aspects are really all story
            > elements. An example would be a Fearsome [][][] dragon invoking that
            > aspect (and a suitable outlay of FP) to compel Afraid [][] on the
            > player - which they can either accept and gain FP, or resist and lose
            > FP, even if they don't have an Afraid aspect of their own.

            You might not need to spend FP - it could just invoke it's Fearsome [][][]
            aspect, tick off a box, and then everone has to either invoke an
            appropriate aspect (Brave or Glory Hound or Must Kill This Dragon Since It
            killed My Family) or spend fate points to face it.
            Or maybe this Invoke Fear ability could be a Stunt.

            Darren