Analysis in Game terns

  • lance dyas
    Message 1 of 42 , Jan 1, 2005
      I'm sure others besides me have this tendency, I've started analyzing
      things in game terminology, in this case I was casually watching my sons
      DVD of Dragons of Fire and Ice and found myself interpretting the Hero
      and Heroines combat techniques in terms of the Strategic Methods, it
      worked rather well I must say ;-). Saying "ah... a very bold and
      deceptive attempt at a scene change", did feel more satisfying than
      "oooh she must have rolled a critical hit" but that is probably just my
      bias. ;-)

      Google Me at : Decision Driven Rolegaming

      -- Lance Dyas
      Destiny the Hand of Fate - at the Decision Driven Gaming Center
      Creating a language for describing the methods by which we accomplish
      things and thereby better enable visualization of play.
      http://www.dyasdesigns.com/roleplay/Fate/HandOfFate.pdf
    • Darren Hill
      Message 42 of 42 , Jan 5, 2005
        On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 02:14:47 +1100, Persephone Imytholin
        <imytholin@...> wrote:
        >> It wouldn't be an autofail - remember, it's 1 FP for +1 (or -1 in this
        >> case).
        >> A temporary aspect would be more trouble for the player.
        >> OTOH, this would be a good case for buying specific events with fate
        >> points. The player attacks, but the GM says, "remember those FP you gave
        >> me? I've now used 2 of them to make you break your sword."
        >>

        > The autofail was comparing them to blots in Pace, which you get when
        > you overspend on pips. IMO, it /should/ cause trouble for the player
        > (and character) when they overdraw their FP.

        Yes, it should cause trouble. The GM deciding to spend an FP on a task
        against the player may well make the player think, damn, I'd better spend
        an FP or aspect of my own. Especially if the GM does it on a moderatly
        good roll the player was going to leave alone. Just the action of the GM
        spending the FP, and describing the situation that causes it, will make
        the player think harder about whether he should spend points of his own.

        Darren