Group Efforts

  • Darren Hill
    Message 1 of 58 , Nov 1, 2004
      On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 10:05:26 -0400, Fred Hicks <iago@...> wrote:
      > * What do you like least?

      One thing that I've been grappling with lately is just how bad FATE is at
      handling group efforts, other than through fudge-y hand-waving. This
      relates to the earlier augmenting thread, and it ties into challenge
      tracks, too.
      For example, you have a group making their way through a ruined city
      filled with lurking predators, buildings ready to collapse, and other
      dangers, and you want to use a Challenge Track to adjudicate their
      approach to their goal (a specific temple, say). Each box the player's
      inflict moves them closer to their goal, each box they suffer causes them
      a setback.
      Here the players are really making a team-based roll rather than an
      individual roll - and there's no easy way to decide what that rating
      should be. And if one skill is good for one roll, there's a good chance
      the owning player will end up rolling for all of them, and the other
      players become spectators for the whole challenge.
      Yes, you could rotate the rolling player or skill through different steps
      of the challenge, but this could easily become arbitrary without better
      guidelines.
      Any thoughts?

      Darren
    • Trip the Space Parasite
      Message 58 of 58 , Nov 5, 2004
        In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Robert Donoghue <rdonoghue@m...> wrote:
        > So, here's a proposed alternate rule. when you finish a conflict of
        > any type, erase _All_ wound boxes, but if you have an injured (or taken
        > out) result, then add another aspect to your sheet to reflect the
        > injury (Broken Arm, Punctured Leg, Embarrassing Gaffe, Butt of the
        > Joke, Terrible Hangover or whatever).

        Have you read D Vincent Baker's excellent game _Dogs in the Vineyard_?
        This is pretty close to how he handles fallout from conflicts. (Well,
        one of the ways; there's a list you can choose from, but everything is
        mostly along these lines).

        If you haven't read _DitV_, I recommend it highly!
        (http://www.septemberquestion.org/lumpley/dogs.html)

        Trip
        --
        I write of things which I have neither seen nor learned from another,
        things which are not and never could have been, and therefore my readers