Re: [FateRPG] Fate of the Faerys setting spitballing

  • Joe Formoso
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 6, 2013
      On Fri, 6 Sep 2013, Dustin Evermore wrote:

      > One thing I forgot to mention is that in DF RPG (and versions I
      > use), it is stipulated that you need to keep the same overall shape
      > of your skill pyramid/columns. So if you have just one skill at +4,
      > you shouldn't be allowed to shape shift and suddenly have two or three
      > skills at +4. The skill shuffle is all using the identical "slots" the
      > original form has. This way, your game isn't thrown out of whack.
      ----------
      Indeed, and I see where just adding points would be a problem.
      If you're essentially the same character, but with a better Stealth
      skill, why ever bother turning *back*?

      >> Many thanks! This has been very helpful.
      >>
      > Great! Happy gaming!
      ----------
      You too. And now, to start planning the next gaming session.

      --Joe
    • Blake Hutchins
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 7, 2013
        Having run Faery's Tale under a couple systems, I wonder if your best bet is to follow the FATE Freeport model:  assume all magic flows from the High Concept Aspect that denotes the faery's type, so that a type-appropriate use lets the faery wield his or her special magic. Allow Stunts to represent particular magical talents, and you're golden.  That way you don't have to gin up a ton of subsystems.  This would cover Pixies and Brownies pretty well.  You could impose a requirement that Pixies are only able to enchant a target if they hit it with a sprinkle of Pixie Dust, so they can't target anything farther than they can throw a handful of glitter, essentially.  Brownie magic is already nicely constrained.

        I like the general Champion ability you've mentioned for Sprites.  I typically allowed Sprites to accomplish miraculous effects physically if their Champion talent came into play.  A good roll, for instance, allowed my daughter's character Thistle to withstand a swat from a Troll, using her needle sword to prick the (to her) gigantic hand without being crushed.  I'd probably let her parry a blow from a mortal weapon if she rolled well.

        For Pookas, having some rules of thumb about rearranging stats/skills could work.  Maybe you could come up with an aspect or two appropriate to the form and put each form on a 3 by 5 card with some stunts to modify abilities.

         Form Aspect: "I'm a Mole." Trouble: "Moi Ois Ent So Good."  Stunts:  Digger:  Because moles are great diggers, I get +2 to my Crafting when digging into the earth.  Amazing Nose:  Because moles have an incredible sense of smell, I get +2 to Notice when it concerns scent or odor.

        Both the Form Aspect and the Trouble could stack.  You can compel either pretty easily: "Moles aren't exactly agile even under the best of circumstances."

        ------------------
        Blake Hutchins
        www.blakehutchins.com
        http://blakehutchins.livejournal.com/

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 7, 2013
          On Sat, 7 Sep 2013, Blake Hutchins wrote:

          > Having run Faery's Tale under a couple systems, I wonder if your
          > best bet is to follow the FATE Freeport model:  assume all magic
          > flows from the High Concept Aspect that denotes the faery's type, so
          > that a type-appropriate use lets the faery wield his or her special
          > magic. Allow Stunts to represent particular magical talents, and you're
          > golden.  That way you don't have to gin up a ton of subsystems.  This
          > would cover Pixies and Brownies pretty well.  You could impose a
          > requirement that Pixies are only able to enchant a target if they hit
          > it with a sprinkle of Pixie Dust, so they can't target anything farther
          > than they can throw a handful of glitter, essentially.  Brownie magic
          > is already nicely constrained.
          ----------
          The pixie dust idea is *definitely* something I'm going to use;
          really great idea, and many thanks for it.

          > I like the general Champion ability you've mentioned for Sprites.  I
          > typically allowed Sprites to accomplish miraculous effects physically
          > if their Champion talent came into play.  A good roll, for instance,
          > allowed my daughter's character Thistle to withstand a swat from a
          > Troll, using her needle sword to prick the (to her) gigantic hand
          > without being crushed.  I'd probably let her parry a blow from a
          > mortal weapon if she rolled well.
          ----------
          Hm; on a Defense roll success with style, yeah, I think I would
          too.

          > For Pookas, having some rules of thumb about rearranging stats/skills
          > could work.  Maybe you could come up with an aspect or two appropriate
          > to the form and put each form on a 3 by 5 card with some stunts to
          > modify abilities.
          ----------
          I was thinking about that, but wanted it to be something that
          could be done spontaneously. The having cards with a few options could
          represent a form that the Pooka takes regularly enough to be comfortable
          in it and especially aware of its abilities. You turn into a hawk for
          the first time, yeah, you can rearrange your stats to bump up Athletics
          and Notice (and gain the fly ability), and the the Form: Hawk Aspect, but
          that's it. Change to something that's already been worked out a bit, and
          you get something like the mole you suggested -- which I'm definitely
          stealing, by the way -- with stunts and suchlike.

          >  Form Aspect: "I'm a Mole." Trouble: "Moi Ois Ent So Good."
          I really love that. Now that you suggest it, I think a Trouble
          (along with the Form Aspect) should be the minimal attributes of the
          form (in addition to shuffling stats).

          Many thanks for your insights.

          --Joe
        • Blake Hutchins