Re: [FateRPG] Hammerspace

  • Darren Hill
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 19, 2013
      Being compellable is a bonus. It's an advantage, but it's not required for each and every aspect to be compellable.

      On 19 August 2013 12:28, Marshall Smith <samldanach@...> wrote:

      I would actually say stunt rather than aspect. The primary reason being that I can't think of a way to compel Hammerspace in any way. If it's a one-sided bonus, it should be a stunt.

      The mechanics for Hammerspace are pretty simple. You are able to produce gear that you weren't carrying before. Given that gear in Fate is pretty fast and loose to start with, you don't need much more detail. You'd just want to discuss some general constraints (size, grenades?, money?, etc.).

      Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 19, 2013
        On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 5:03 AM, John Rudd <john@...> wrote:

        > I keep thinking that there's got to be a detective episode of a
        > cartoon (or perhaps it was in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" ... or a
        > Dragnet inspired episode of Bugs Bunny or Daffy Duck... something like
        > that, the memory isn't gelling enough to remind me which it is) where
        > someone is being accused of a crime, and keeps pulling things out of
        > their pocket that are incriminating. That's kind of what I'm talking
        > about.

        Someone, off-list, reminded me that there's a scene like this in "The
        Mask". :-)
      • Fábio Emilio Costa
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 19, 2013
          Like Presto on Dungeons & Dragons (the cartoon): his hat is a Hammerspace, but he has the Aspect "That hat never gives me what I want!"

          2013/8/19 Tom Flanagan <tom.flanagan@...>

          It could be that it's a stunt, since only Bullwinkle seems to have that ability. But he also has the Aspect of "that trick never works".

          --

          Obrigado!

          Fabio Emilio Costa                 São Bernardo do Campo - SP - Brazil
          fabiocosta0305@...            Linux User #416439(counter.li.org)
          MSN: fabiocosta0305@...                          ICQ #:173799674
          Yahoo! Messenger:hufflepuff0305                  Twitter:@HufflepuffBR

          Orkut Profile: www.orkut.com/Profile.aspx?uid=16619557238254357700
          Blog: hogwartslinux.wordpress.com
          "Copie. Seja Legal. Não seja trouxa! Use Software Livre!"
        • Chester Mealer
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 19, 2013
            Stunt: once per scene you may pay 1 FP to create an aspect representing some item that you pull from somewhere... You do not need to have previously stored the item for this to work.
            Permission: you must have an aspect representing the ability to access the somewhere that you store the items you pull...

            This way runs a little more simulation than abstraction but I think it may be easier on the GM and depending on the way the permission aspect is worded it let's the GM tweak the reliability.

            Chester Mealer

            On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 9:45 AM, Fábio Emilio Costa <fabiocosta0305@...> wrote:

            Like Presto on Dungeons & Dragons (the cartoon): his hat is a Hammerspace, but he has the Aspect "That hat never gives me what I want!"

            2013/8/19 Tom Flanagan <tom.flanagan@...>

            It could be that it's a stunt, since only Bullwinkle seems to have that ability. But he also has the Aspect of "that trick never works".

            --

            Obrigado!

            Fabio Emilio Costa                 São Bernardo do Campo - SP - Brazil
            fabiocosta0305@...            Linux User #416439(counter.li.org)
            MSN: fabiocosta0305@...                          ICQ #:173799674
            Yahoo! Messenger:hufflepuff0305                  Twitter:@HufflepuffBR

            Orkut Profile: www.orkut.com/Profile.aspx?uid=16619557238254357700
            Blog: hogwartslinux.wordpress.com
            "Copie. Seja Legal. Não seja trouxa! Use Software Livre!"

          • Robert Hanz
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 19, 2013
              It could easily be an aspect *or* a stunt, depending on the setting and character.

              For me, the primary question to ask when choosing between an aspect and a stunt is "is this part of the character's story?"  If Hammerspace is somehow narratively relevant (it's an actual thing, there's implications of being able to access it, it signifies something about the character, etc.) then it's an aspect (and maybe a stunt, too, depending on the setting).  If those things aren't true, then it's probably just a stunt.

              Just like Han Solo's ability to fly the Falcon through tighter spaces than one would imagine - he uses it to get out of situations, but it's not really part of his story.  He's not a former (or current) barnstormer, or some kind of stunt pilot.  Those types of acrobatics are just something he does, not something that he *is*.

              On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 8:35 AM, Chester Mealer <cdm014@...> wrote:

[...]

            • Scott Fitzpatrick
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 19, 2013
                In regards to Highlander and their swords-

                The obfuscation was one of the "mind tricks" they developed.  The swords are there all the time, people just don't see them.  So they don't dematerialize and rematerialize, we just ignore that they are there.

                By the way, the Hammerspace concept is why, at one point in the early

                90's, consensus was that the ideal RPG for running "Highlander&quot; based games
                was ... Toon.

                Because, where else are they hiding those swords?
              • Buck Marchinton
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 21, 2013
                  So if a certain pop rapper could store overlarge items in his overlarge pants, he would have the aspect "Hammerspace/time continuum" ?

                  On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 8:06 PM, Scott Fitzpatrick <moonhunter88@...> wrote:

                  In regards to Highlander and their swords-

                  The obfuscation was one of the "mind tricks" they developed.  The swords are there all the time, people just don't see them.  So they don't dematerialize and rematerialize, we just ignore that they are there.

                  By the way, the Hammerspace concept is why, at one point in the early

                  90's, consensus was that the ideal RPG for running "Highlander&quot; based games

                  was ... Toon.

                  Because, where else are they hiding those swords?

                  --
                  "Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan." -- The Doctor

                  If you feed a cat uranium, does it develop eighteen half-lives?

                  When you swim in the sea and an eel bites your knee, that's a moray.