Re: [FateRPG] Re: FATE phpBB-Based Forum

  • John Rudd
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 29 1:22 PM
      Having run, and participated in, other forum type environments: I concurr.

      1) start small.  Jonathan Lang's suggestion of 2 nodes (General (about FATE) and Admin (about the board itself)) is very appropriate.

      2) do keep and think about how you want to organize the branches (well designed branches are better than haphazard ones) ... but keep them theoretical until they're needed.  The taxonomy will help you grow in a coherent fashion.  But wait to use that taxonomy until each growth step is necessary.

      3) do the growth in the same way (in a recursive/fractal type way):

      when you decide you need a "Dresden" branch, start with a "Dresden General", and wait until that needs to be split into something like "Dresden General ... and Dresden Magic".  The "branching" is repeated at each sub-node, basically, after starting with the General topic for that node. (I hope I'm making sense here)

      On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 10:16 AM, Fred Hicks <evilhat@...> wrote:

      At the end of the day the idea is to pay attention to the actual conversations happening, not the taxonomy of conversations which could happen.

      It's a lot like GMing. Bring your ideas to the table, sure, but hold them back and see what the players get interested in first.

      On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 1:06 PM, Garrett Rooney <rooneg@...> wrote:

      For what it's worth, I've seen the same process work in open source software mailing lists, which are quite similar to forums.  Start with the absolute minimum number of discussion spaces you can, and only split them when you absolutely have to.  You want the "place" to feel like a busy room, but not so busy that nobody can hear themselves think.  So start with a single forum and split sub-forums off only when they threaten to drown out all other conversation.

      -garrett

      On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 12:54 PM, Brad Murray <bjmurray.halfjack@...> wrote:

      This is my vigorous support of Fred's advice. Don't pre-shatter your discussion into twenty groups of two, because they won't stay. Start with one group of forty. You need a critical mass of participation _in every forum_ for this to work.

      On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 12:22 PM, Fred Hicks <evilhat@...> wrote:

      Fragmentation is death with a tiny forum. (I speak as caretaker of jimbutcheronline.com, which is not a tiny forum, but grew over time.)

      My strongest recommendation is:

      Start with one board.

      Watch conversation grow.

      When one particular kind of thing (e.g., conversation about the DFRPG, for example) dwarfs the rest of discussion, drowning it out, split it off to its own separate board and recategorize current active threads into that new board.

      Everything else stays behind in "General" until it builds up enough mass and momentum to bud off similarly.

      Fred

      On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 12:17 PM, R Petrone <robertpetrone@...> wrote:
      Aha...thank you for all that info, gentlemen.

      Hrm...well, then, based on all that, I'm not so sure that structuring the subforums of the phpBB forum site after the editions of fate (if that's, in fact, what Jonathan had in mind at all when he suggested looking at the "taxonomy" of FATE) is going to be terribly ergonomic.

      I might reduce the number of subforums so that many of the non-Evil-Hat produced versions of FATE (Age of Arthur, Agents of S.W.I.N.G., Malmsturm, Nova Praxis, etc.) are lumped together in one subforum.  I'm not so sure that's a great idea, though, either.

      Well...if anyone has ideas, please feel free to join and PM me.  I'm still looking for admins/mods.  And to the game developers, if there's anything you'd like to see on the site, I'd be happy to oblige.  If you wanted your own forum for dev announcements or something...whatever.  It's pretty much a blank slate at the moment.

      Rob P.
      http://faterpg.forumotion.com/forum

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional