Potion Question for Dresden Files

  • mosswood17
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 14 5:37 PM
      I have a couple of quick questions concerning potions in DFRPG.

      The first question is that I understand potions use rules similar to Thaumaturgy. I am making a PC that is a focused spellcaster with a +5 Lore skill. He has a specialization for both frequency and potency (gotten through a refinement purchase), so his potions default to a +6 shift potion. Does this mean that he can use a potion for any Thaumaturgy spell that utilizes 6 shifts or less (unless Fate points are spent in the making or the using)?

      What is the default duration of a potion/thaumaturgy spell? I thought it was usually a scene but one of the examples in the text on pg. 281 lists two potions, one the Escape potion that allows for an extra bit of sprinting (even through walls) for 1 exchange. The Love potion has the person ingesting the potion resist at the shift level of the potion or suffer an aspect "Consumed By Lust" which implies that potion lasts longer. How are people adjudicating the duration of potions out there?

      Thanks again! I am getting really excited to run my first DFRPG game!

      Nick
    • Bryce Perry

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 15 5:25 AM
          That makes sense. So whatever effect the potion has is resisted (if applicable) by the shift strength of the potion? A love potion in this case would have the person roll against a +6? A fireball in a bottle would be a +6 attack? An invisibility potion would have a +6 to resist being seen and would last until dawn?

          Thanks!

          --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Bryce Perry <sandchigger@...> wrote:

          > IIRC, most non-instant enhancements that aren't tied to a threshold or
          > something similar fade, at the latest, at dawn or sundown. So the lust
          > potion lasts until dawn if you take it at night or sundown if you drink it
          > during the day.
          > On Jul 14, 2013 7:37 PM, "mosswood17" <mosswood17@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > I have a couple of quick questions concerning potions in DFRPG.
          > >
          > > The first question is that I understand potions use rules similar to
          > > Thaumaturgy. I am making a PC that is a focused spellcaster with a +5 Lore
          > > skill. He has a specialization for both frequency and potency (gotten
          > > through a refinement purchase), so his potions default to a +6 shift
          > > potion. Does this mean that he can use a potion for any Thaumaturgy spell
          > > that utilizes 6 shifts or less (unless Fate points are spent in the making
          > > or the using)?
          > >
          > > What is the default duration of a potion/thaumaturgy spell? I thought it
          > > was usually a scene but one of the examples in the text on pg. 281 lists
          > > two potions, one the Escape potion that allows for an extra bit of
          > > sprinting (even through walls) for 1 exchange. The Love potion has the
          > > person ingesting the potion resist at the shift level of the potion or
          > > suffer an aspect "Consumed By Lust" which implies that potion lasts longer.
          > > How are people adjudicating the duration of potions out there?
          > >
          > > Thanks again! I am getting really excited to run my first DFRPG game!
          > >
          > > Nick

        • John Kramer
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 15 6:46 PM
            If I remember the rules correctly you set up the potion exactly like a thaumaturgical spell. So the effect is not the total complexity it is the shifts of effect you bought. The total complexity is limited by the lore in question and certain things (like reducing the duration down from one scene to one exchange) can act to reduce the total complexity by that number of shifts. The examples given by Rick Neal on the Evil Hat site were helpful.

            That makes sense. So whatever effect the potion has is resisted (if applicable) by the shift strength of the potion? A love potion in this case would have the person roll against a +6? A fireball in a bottle would be a +6 attack? An invisibility potion would have a +6 to resist being seen and would last until dawn?

            Thanks!

            --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Bryce Perry <sandchigger@...> wrote:

            > IIRC, most non-instant enhancements that aren't tied to a threshold or
            > something similar fade, at the latest, at dawn or sundown. So the lust
            > potion lasts until dawn if you take it at night or sundown if you drink it
            > during the day.
            > On Jul 14, 2013 7:37 PM, "mosswood17" <mosswood17@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > I have a couple of quick questions concerning potions in DFRPG.
            > >
            > > The first question is that I understand potions use rules similar to
            > > Thaumaturgy. I am making a PC that is a focused spellcaster with a +5 Lore
            > > skill. He has a specialization for both frequency and potency (gotten
            > > through a refinement purchase), so his potions default to a +6 shift
            > > potion. Does this mean that he can use a potion for any Thaumaturgy spell
            > > that utilizes 6 shifts or less (unless Fate points are spent in the making
            > > or the using)?
            > >
            > > What is the default duration of a potion/thaumaturgy spell? I thought it
            > > was usually a scene but one of the examples in the text on pg. 281 lists
            > > two potions, one the Escape potion that allows for an extra bit of
            > > sprinting (even through walls) for 1 exchange. The Love potion has the
            > > person ingesting the potion resist at the shift level of the potion or
            > > suffer an aspect "Consumed By Lust" which implies that potion lasts longer.
            > > How are people adjudicating the duration of potions out there?
            > >
            > > Thanks again! I am getting really excited to run my first DFRPG game!
            > >
            > > Nick

          • George Harnish