Re: [FateRPG] Question on Consequences (Fate Core)

  • David Gilbert
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2013
      Thanks for the clarification, Jan. I suspected as much but there was something about it that made me question it.

      On 4 July 2013 13:30, Jan Willms <isenhertz@...> wrote:

      On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 10:17 AM, haparil <gilberd3@...> wrote:
      When a character receives consequences they obvious take the penalty that they have a disadvantageous aspect on them and someone has a free invoke on it. Are there any further penalties? The character sheet has numbers associated with each box. Are those the target for recovering from that level of consequence or do they hint at penalties that characters take to their rolls just for having that consequence.

      No, the numbers associated with each Consequencce is the standard amount of Stress they 'soak' when you elect to take them. I say "standard" because it's one of the dials that is often fiddled with to fit genre expectations and whatnot (such as Diaspora using 1/2/4 instead of 2/4/6/8).

      Depending on how tight you want it, your game might allow for several Consequences to be taken for dealign with the same attack, but usually, it's "Choose 1 Consequence that is unused. Deduct Consequence value from Damage. Mark the Stress Box corresponding to the Damage value remaining."

      Jan

    • markdbee
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2013
        As mentioned, there aren't any specified penalties - but the Consequence is a specific physical or mental effect on that character.

        If the player tries to do something that would be inhibited by that Consequence (like running with a Broken Ankle), he can expect to receive Compels to oppose it, and likewise if he role-plays the associated limitations to his character's detriment, the referee should be ready to treat it as a self-compel and award a Fate Point accordingly.