Re: [FateRPG] Re: Implementing Fight advantage over Shoot when covering someone in the same zone

  • Kurt Rauscher
    Message 1 of 33 , Jun 26, 2013
      You could go for Shooting always against a static defense value (Mediocre, Average, or Fair - depending on your dials and what you want to emulate).  Then if someone wanted protection they'd have to go for cover, zig-zagging, getting in the shooter's face, etc. by Creating an Advantage that could then be used to increase the static defense.    To paraphrase Savage Worlds: When the lead starts flying, smart heroes dive for cover.

      --
      Kurt Rauscher -:- krauscher@...

      In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
        - Thomas Jefferson

      On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 9:13 AM, HMT <howardmthompson@...> wrote:
      Why not make "engaged when in melee" or something like that a campaign aspect?

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          FateRPG-digest@yahoogroups.com
          FateRPG-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • andanteinblue
      Message 33 of 33 , Jun 27, 2013
        I've been trying tackle a similar problem in my Fate 40k conversion. One of the setting conceits is the range / melee dynamic, and in particular, bringing a gun to a knife fight can be a bad idea. The basic idea follows:

        When a character attacks someone with a melee attack, this forces the defender to choose between retaliating or disengaging. Retaliating causes the attack to resolve as a contest of skills, with shifts as damage; this also consumes the defender's action. Disengaging allows the defender to roll another skill for defense, but consumes the defender's supplemental action (almost equivalent to a -1 penalty on their main action).