Re: Skill List & Skill Pyramid

  • Jonathan Gwilliams
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 26, 2013
      Personally, I don't allow people to use Athletics versus guns. Actively dodging bullets is improbable even if you're aware of the shooter. At best, you can use dodging as a manoeuvre to give you a bonus when defending against guns, but I prefer to rule that only the Guns skill itself defends against Guns-based attacks, without the intervention of some kind of stunt (i.e. 'Bullet Dodger' or something of the sort.) Melee combat and fisticuffs on the other hand can be dodged with Athletics.

      That said, guns are very rare in my game. The 'No Dodging' rule is largely a way of emphasising just how deadly guns actually are compared to more primitive weapons such as bows and throwing knives.

      -Ash
    • dave_joria
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 26, 2013
        I think you got the wrong thread. You might want to repost it in the other one.

        --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Gwilliams <EldritchDesign@...> wrote:

        > Personally, I don't allow people to use Athletics versus guns. Actively dodging bullets is improbable even if you're aware of the shooter. At best, you can use dodging as a manoeuvre to give you a bonus when defending against guns, but I prefer to rule that only the Guns skill itself defends against Guns-based attacks, without the intervention of some kind of stunt (i.e. 'Bullet Dodger' or something of the sort.) Melee combat and fisticuffs on the other hand can be dodged with Athletics.
        >
        > That said, guns are very rare in my game. The 'No Dodging' rule is largely a way of emphasising just how deadly guns actually are compared to more primitive weapons such as bows and throwing knives.
        >
        > -Ash

      • John Rudd
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 26, 2013

          On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 3:09 AM, Jonathan Gwilliams <EldritchDesign@...> wrote:

          Personally, I don't allow people to use Athletics versus guns. Actively dodging bullets is improbable even if you're aware of the shooter. At best, you can use dodging as a manoeuvre to give you a bonus when defending against guns, but I prefer to rule that only the Guns skill itself defends against Guns-based attacks, without the intervention of some kind of stunt (i.e. 'Bullet Dodger' or something of the sort.) Melee combat and fisticuffs on the other hand can be dodged with Athletics.

          You're not dodging the bullet, you're dodging the shooter's aim... which is much more probable.

        • Lisa Steele
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 26, 2013

            It’s harder to hit a moving target – that’s why self-defense instructors tell student to move, preferably laterally, and get to cover if available. I could also see using Notice/Alertness as an option for acting ahead of the shooter’s ability to react (part of the Tueller discussion in the other thread).

            Personally, I don't allow people to use Athletics versus guns. Actively dodging bullets is improbable even if you're aware of the shooter. At best, you can use dodging as a manoeuvre to give you a bonus when defending against guns, but I prefer to rule that only the Guns skill itself defends against Guns-based attacks, without the intervention of some kind of stunt (i.e. 'Bullet Dodger' or something of the sort.) Melee combat and fisticuffs on the other hand can be dodged with Athletics.

            You're not dodging the bullet, you're dodging the shooter's aim... which is much more probable.

          • Gerald Sears

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 27, 2013
                Humm, don't know how that happened. I'm going to blame Safari.
                Sorry guys!