Re: Athletics...Too Useful as General Defense?

  • markdbee
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 26, 2013
      That would tend to overvalue Fighting for melee characters. If I were going to make a division, it'd probably be Notice to defend against shooting, and Athletics against fighting.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 26, 2013
        On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 5:31 AM, markdbee <markdbee@...> wrote:
        If I were going to make a division, it'd probably be Notice to defend against shooting, and Athletics against fighting.

        If I were changing things, this would be the change for any "speed based" attack. (Bullets are fast.) It essentially says any "fast attack" is the same as an ambush, which I can totally see.

        --
        Fred Hicks
        Co-President, Evil Hat Productions, LLC - www.evilhat.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 27, 2013
          My approach would be to allow all of them. Alertness/Notice, Athletics, and Shooting (by returning fire wildly) can all defend against Shooting.

          Alertness isn't always appropriate - lots of gunfights occur at great range, sometimes you dont know where the shooter is. Other times Athletics is obviously the right one, such as, say,when diving from one room across a corridor to another room, while the shooter at the end of the corridor is trying to shoot you.

          Other situations: if you have sneaked into cover, and your opponent knows roughly where you are, using Stealth as the defence makes sense. Or, finding suitable cover in the factory, and maybe picking up a hatch cover strong enough to resist gunfire - use Engineering/Crafts.

          There's a lot of flexibility if you avoid hard and fast rules, and allow people to come up with their own options.

          On 26 June 2013 14:04, Fred Hicks <evilhat@...> wrote:

          On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 5:31 AM, markdbee <markdbee@...> wrote:
          If I were going to make a division, it'd probably be Notice to defend against shooting, and Athletics against fighting.

          If I were changing things, this would be the change for any "speed based" attack. (Bullets are fast.) It essentially says any "fast attack" is the same as an ambush, which I can totally see.

          --
          Fred Hicks
          Co-President, Evil Hat Productions, LLC - www.evilhat.com
          Freelance Layoutist * Game Publishing Blogger - www.deadlyfredly.com
          For "real time" updates: http://twitter.com/fredhicks http://gplus.to/fredhicks

        • andanteinblue
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 27, 2013
            I've borrowed a rule from Steam, Steel and Murder in my Fate 40k game.

            In a firefight, your skill rolls for defense is halved unless you are using your action to actively defend yourself. To compensate, you can "take cover" when you're in a zone with a cover aspect, which allows you to free tag the aspect when defending. This has the effect of reducing effectiveness of skills when defending, making guns a bit more deadly and enhancing the importance of cover and danger of open ground.