Skill List & Skill Pyramid

  • dave_joria
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 25, 2013
      Brief rundown on the setting- it focuses on mild superhumans (mediums, magic users) and undead characters (vampires, werewolves, Frankensteinian monsters.)

      I've tweaked the skill list from 18 to 22 (+4), and was debating whether or not to increase skill pyramid from a Cap 4 base to a Cap 5 base. This would give the players +5 skills, and be much stronger at the start. It sounds more fitting with the super-heroic level of action, but I know that Fate Core allows for a degree of that already, and as I'm pretty new with Fate games, I'm hesitant to tweak too many things for a single test.

      Suggestions?
    • markdbee
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 26, 2013
        If you don't want to play around too much with the power levels, you could always change the shape of your starting pyramid.

        Broadening it so that it's 2 at great, 3 at good, 4 at fair and 5 at average would gain you four extra skills with no power increase.

        Switching to, say, a set of 3 columns - 3 skills at each tier from Great downwards - would give you two extra skills and higher average skill levels

        However, doing either of these will make it easier for players to push to higher skill levels once they start earning points at milestones - they'll basically be able to push one to +5 as soon as they gain a point for it - so these options merely delay the increase in power level.

        --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, "dave_joria" <dave.joria@...> wrote:

        > Brief rundown on the setting- it focuses on mild superhumans (mediums, magic users) and undead characters (vampires, werewolves, Frankensteinian monsters.)
        >
        > I've tweaked the skill list from 18 to 22 (+4), and was debating whether or not to increase skill pyramid from a Cap 4 base to a Cap 5 base. This would give the players +5 skills, and be much stronger at the start. It sounds more fitting with the super-heroic level of action, but I know that Fate Core allows for a degree of that already, and as I'm pretty new with Fate games, I'm hesitant to tweak too many things for a single test.
        >
        > Suggestions?

      • Jonathan Gwilliams
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 26, 2013
          Personally, I don't allow people to use Athletics versus guns. Actively dodging bullets is improbable even if you're aware of the shooter. At best, you can use dodging as a manoeuvre to give you a bonus when defending against guns, but I prefer to rule that only the Guns skill itself defends against Guns-based attacks, without the intervention of some kind of stunt (i.e. 'Bullet Dodger' or something of the sort.) Melee combat and fisticuffs on the other hand can be dodged with Athletics.

          That said, guns are very rare in my game. The 'No Dodging' rule is largely a way of emphasising just how deadly guns actually are compared to more primitive weapons such as bows and throwing knives.

          -Ash
        • dave_joria
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 26, 2013
            I think you got the wrong thread. You might want to repost it in the other one.

            --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Gwilliams <EldritchDesign@...> wrote:

            > Personally, I don't allow people to use Athletics versus guns. Actively dodging bullets is improbable even if you're aware of the shooter. At best, you can use dodging as a manoeuvre to give you a bonus when defending against guns, but I prefer to rule that only the Guns skill itself defends against Guns-based attacks, without the intervention of some kind of stunt (i.e. 'Bullet Dodger' or something of the sort.) Melee combat and fisticuffs on the other hand can be dodged with Athletics.
            >
            > That said, guns are very rare in my game. The 'No Dodging' rule is largely a way of emphasising just how deadly guns actually are compared to more primitive weapons such as bows and throwing knives.
            >
            > -Ash

          • John Rudd
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 26, 2013

              On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 3:09 AM, Jonathan Gwilliams <EldritchDesign@...> wrote:

              Personally, I don't allow people to use Athletics versus guns. Actively dodging bullets is improbable even if you're aware of the shooter. At best, you can use dodging as a manoeuvre to give you a bonus when defending against guns, but I prefer to rule that only the Guns skill itself defends against Guns-based attacks, without the intervention of some kind of stunt (i.e. 'Bullet Dodger' or something of the sort.) Melee combat and fisticuffs on the other hand can be dodged with Athletics.

              You're not dodging the bullet, you're dodging the shooter's aim... which is much more probable.

            • Lisa Steele
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 26, 2013

                It’s harder to hit a moving target – that’s why self-defense instructors tell student to move, preferably laterally, and get to cover if available. I could also see using Notice/Alertness as an option for acting ahead of the shooter’s ability to react (part of the Tueller discussion in the other thread).

                Personally, I don't allow people to use Athletics versus guns. Actively dodging bullets is improbable even if you're aware of the shooter. At best, you can use dodging as a manoeuvre to give you a bonus when defending against guns, but I prefer to rule that only the Guns skill itself defends against Guns-based attacks, without the intervention of some kind of stunt (i.e. 'Bullet Dodger' or something of the sort.) Melee combat and fisticuffs on the other hand can be dodged with Athletics.

                You're not dodging the bullet, you're dodging the shooter's aim... which is much more probable.

              • Gerald Sears

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 27, 2013
                    Humm, don't know how that happened. I'm going to blame Safari.
                    Sorry guys!