Implementing Fight advantage over Shoot when covering someone in the same zone

  • dsleland
    Message 1 of 33 , Jun 23, 2013
      I'm trying to figure out how, in Fate Core, one would implement it being difficult to use Shoot if someone is right in your face attacking you.

      I'm thinking maybe the person using a melee approach who wants to block the opponent from using ranged attacks would use Fight to create an advantage such as "Covered" that would preventing them from using Shoot unless them overcome with Athletics or the melee fighter moves or engages someone else. Does that sound right?

      Also, would it make sense that if the melee fighter made a regular attack with Fight (rather than trying from the outset to create an advantage) and succeeded with style that you could use that to place a transient "Covered" aspect with a free invoke to prevent the shooter from using their ranged weapon, but only once?

      In either of these cases would the shooter be given a Fate point when being denied the ability to use Shoot?

      Thanks,
      David
    • andanteinblue
      Message 33 of 33 , Jun 27, 2013
        I've been trying tackle a similar problem in my Fate 40k conversion. One of the setting conceits is the range / melee dynamic, and in particular, bringing a gun to a knife fight can be a bad idea. The basic idea follows:

        When a character attacks someone with a melee attack, this forces the defender to choose between retaliating or disengaging. Retaliating causes the attack to resolve as a contest of skills, with shifts as damage; this also consumes the defender's action. Disengaging allows the defender to roll another skill for defense, but consumes the defender's supplemental action (almost equivalent to a -1 penalty on their main action).