Re: [FateRPG] FAE: Differentiation of Approaches

  • John Rudd
    Message 1 of 10 , May 23, 2013
      Buy "Clever" to a common level of education, and then buy a stunt for +1 (broad skill) or +2 (narrow skill).

      On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 8:23 PM, Michael Hopcroft <mhopcroft@...> wrote:

      FAE is a very easy system to grasp. That’s its charm. So why is the concept of Approaches giving me trouble?

      I see the six approaches to how things get done. Clever in particular. And I see the sheer number of ways a character can specialize in ways to be Clever and wonder whether five Aspects will be enough to cover them all.

      Clever at using, fixing and creating technology?

      Clever at organizing and running something?

      Clever at knowing and learning a science or academic discipline?

      Without going into the full fledged Fate Core approach, is there a simple, efficient way to make approaches work for differentiated skill?

    • John Till
      Message 2 of 10 , May 24, 2013
        This post shows several stunts that create different flavors of specialized knowledge in FAE (which in the case of this setting actually runs the gamut from contemporary science to alien superscience): http://fatesf.blogspot.com/2013/05/ancient-lore-in-alwyn-campaign.html

        One uses Careful, a couple use Clever, one uses Sneaky, and one just uses FP expenditures to make declarations.

        Cheers,

        John Till

        --
        Launching Soon: Project Generations - Generation ship adventures for FATE

        Everway RPG blog: everwayan.blogspot.com

        FATE SF RPG blog: fatesf.blogspot.com

      • Merc
        Message 3 of 10 , May 24, 2013
          > I see the six approaches to how things get done. Clever in particular. And I
          > see the sheer number of ways a character can specialize in ways to be Clever
          > and wonder whether five Aspects will be enough to cover them all.

          What story are you trying to tell?

          ..Roger
        • Michael Hopcroft
          Message 4 of 10 , May 25, 2013
            In this case, without giving too much away (I have yet to get full approval
            from my publisher) it's a project where multiple species live together in
            one setting, where there is both high technology and physical conflict, and
            where the corporate world is a major sub-setting with corporate officials as
            player-characters.

            > I see the six approaches to how things get done. Clever in particular.
            > And I see the sheer number of ways a character can specialize in ways
            > to be Clever and wonder whether five Aspects will be enough to cover them
            all.

            What story are you trying to tell?

            ..Roger

          • Dean Gilbert
            Message 5 of 10 , May 25, 2013
              FAE Defiance? :-)

            • Michael Hopcroft
              Message 6 of 10 , May 25, 2013
                I don't know anything about Defiance, but I'm glad that someone understands
                such a setting is even possible.

                The setting I'm working on (or could be working on if everything works out)
                isn't quite advanced enough for cyberpunk, but does feature a pair of rival
                corporations in a very significant market -- one old, established and run
                with great ruthlessness, while the other is new to the game and takes a
                great effort to treat its employees and customers better than their rival. A
                large part of it is due to the personal rivalry of the two CEOs -- they
                aren't exactly sending assassins after each other (at least not yet), but
                the CEO of the older comp[any is pulling out all the stops in an effort to
                destroy the newcomer's business.

                > In this case, without giving too much away (I have yet to get full
                > approval from my publisher) it's a project where multiple species live
                > together in one setting, where there is both high technology and
                > physical conflict, and where the corporate world is a major
                > sub-setting with corporate officials as player-characters.

              • Dean Gilbert
                Message 7 of 10 , May 25, 2013
                  I'm really starting to like Defiance. Feels like a cross between Babylon 5
                  and Firefly.

                • John Rudd
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 26, 2013

                    On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 3:02 PM, Dean Gilbert <horushawks@...> wrote:

                    I'm really starting to like Defiance. Feels like a cross between Babylon 5
                    and Firefly.

                    Well, now you've got me intrigued... what is Defiance?  game, comic, book, tv show?
                  • Bryce Perry