Pulp Space May 20 update - Advancement and Skill lists!

  • Gerald
    Message 1 of 5 , May 20, 2013
      Hey.

      I've posted an updated pdf earlier this evening and have stayed up too late doing even more work and getting it down. The .odt file has the newest stuff.

      Below I've copy/pasted a particular part of the file that I'm working on and would like to hear your opinions about. Actually two parts. The adjustment and advancement section for characters and the skill list. I'll put more specifics on skills later but I am making some changes from SotC in that Science and Art are now going to be specialized skills where players take a specific science or art rather than having a single skill the covers them all.

      Most of the skills are fairly self-explanatory. Comms & Sensors is also what is used to 'latch' onto slipstreams, and is important is ship to ship combat. I'm thinking of adding Astrogation which is navigating at sublight and contending with gravity.

      Character Adjustment
      During refresh players may make adjustments to their characters. They may swap up to five skills with another skill up or down one level. GM permission is required to move a skill up or down more than one level during a single refresh with the player giving the reason why the skill is changing so much.
      Alternatively, the player may instead of adjusting skills choose to change one stunt for another. The player may change out a second stunt or instead of stunts change a single aspect, but to do so they must get permission from the GM and explain why they are making the change.

      Advancement Points

      1 AP - Move a skill slot up one level.
      2 AP - Buy a new stunt.
      4 AP - Buy a new level 0 skill slot.
      * AP - Buy a new aspect.
      * = number of aspects x2.

      Skill List
      Most skills are taken from SotC and used more or less as-is from there.

      Academics – Knowledge
      Alertness – Perception
      Animal Handling – Mundane*
      Art() – Craft/Knowledge*
      Athletics – Physical
      Burglary – Subterfuge*
      Computers – Knowledge*
      Comms & Sensors – Perception/Knowledge
      Contacting – Social*
      Deceit – Social
      Drive – Mundane
      Empathy – Social/Perception
      Endurance - Physical
      Engineering – Craft
      Gambling – Mundane
      Guns – Combat
      Intimidation – Social
      Investigation – Perception
      Leadership – Social
      Might – Physical
      Pilot – Mundane
      Profession() - Mundane*
      Rapport – Social
      Resolve – Social
      Science() – Knowledge*
      Sleight of Hand - Subterfuge
      Stealth – Subterfuge
      Survival – Mundane
      Weapons – Combat
      Zero-G – Physical/Mundane*

      * A skill that I've made up or will make major changes with how it works compared to SotC.
      () A skill that is really many different specialized skills.
    • David Silberstein

        Message 3 of 5 , May 20, 2013
          Hmm.

          Checking back on my notes I was working under the idea that if a character tried to use a skill they didn't have they simply wrote it down in the next available empty slot and the pyramid continued down with six mediocre, seven poor eight terrible and so on slots.

          I should have made a note on how that was how I was assuming things where run, but for the life of me I can't find where I got that idea from. I may change it to 4 AP giving an Average skill slot and using any untrained skill as just -1.

          Though I kindo like the idea of the continuing pyramid...

          --- In FateRPG@yahoogroups.com, David Silberstein <andinel@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > Empathy – Social/Perception
          > > Endurance - Physical
          > > Engineering – Craft
          > > Gambling – Mundane
          > > Guns – Combat
          > > Intimidation – Social
          > > Investigation – Perception
          > > Leadership – Social
          > > Might – Physical
          > > Pilot – Mundane
          > > Profession() - Mundane*
          > > Rapport – Social
          > > Resolve – Social
          > > Science() – Knowledge*
          > > Sleight of Hand - Subterfuge
          > > Stealth – Subterfuge
          > > Survival – Mundane
          > > Weapons – Combat
          > > Zero-G – Physical/Mundane*
          > >
          > > * A skill that I've made up or will make major changes with how it works
          > > compared to SotC.
          > > () A skill that is really many different specialized skills.

        • Jacob Peck
          Message 4 of 5 , May 20, 2013
            Sounds like you were reading Fudge on the fly:  http://faterpg.com/dl/ontheflysrd.txt

            -->Jake

            Message 5 of 5 , May 20, 2013
              Ah! Yes I was.

              Still I kindo like the idea. Hmm... Will have to think on that one.